don't print.
    use Save as PDF.

Comment

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by froonly View Post
      Unfinishe

don't print.
      use Save as PDF.
      To use the freeware PDF utilities - such as "Primo PDF" per Comic Bent's recommendation - you use the print command. That in turn activates the utility, embeds the fonts (including those whacky cover page ones the agent round-table says you shouldn't use ) and produces the PDF.

For as long as it's been out - Final Draft is pretty weak in the font selection and thereby font embedding aspects. Maybe they'll catch up to Movie Magic in their FD 9 release -- along with the version tracking / outline features so appealing with MM.

Comment

Greg,

Not sure if someone's mentioned this already, but since each script will receive at least two reads, I'll be curious to learn how many quarter-finalists or above, if any, had a negative read in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
          To use the freeware PDF utilities - such as "Primo PDF" per Comic Bent's recommendation - you use the print command. That in turn activates the utility, embeds the fonts (including those whacky cover page ones the agent round-table says you shouldn't use ) and produces the PDF.

For as long as it's been out - Final Draft is pretty weak in the font selection and thereby font embedding aspects. Maybe they'll catch up to Movie Magic in their FD 9 release -- along with the version tracking / outline features so appealing with MM.
          Except that Primo does work with a pdf *file*.

Comment

I entered a zombie romcom that I'm feeling really good about. That, I think, is the ultimate genre mashup for a discerning readership. Time will tell.

Comment

• Re: Reader Comments

Mr. Beal,

A couple of silly questions.

I know there are a good number of scripts eligible to have a reader comment posted, and that you can't post a comment from even a tenth of those reads, but do you ever post more than one comment about a script?

And if you had posted a comment about the script of a finalist/winner, do you tell them? Not who said it, just that that specific comment referred to their script?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
                Mr. Beal,

A couple of silly questions.

I know there are a good number of scripts eligible to have a reader comment posted, and that you can't post a comment from even a tenth of those reads, but do you ever post more than one comment about a script?

And if you had posted a comment about the script of a finalist/winner, do you tell them? Not who said it, just that that specific comment referred to their script?

Thanks
                Nope and nope (at least not that I remember, nor do I remember anyone asking).

Comment

Mr. Beal,

I have another silly question. Some writers submit two or three scripts. Does any writer get more than one comment posted in a given year, (assuming the comments don't come from the same script).

Thanks.

Comment

since so many of you know when you're asking a "silly" question... why would you? why would you put yourself out like that?!!!

i know 2 + 2 = 4, but can it sometimes be 5?
                    -- at the very least, this one has some weight to it.

SPOILER ALERT!

Two plus two equals five" ("2 + 2 = 5") is a slogan used in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Comment

Greg, is the percentage of fellows and finalists who acquire agents/managers off their placements tracked? Obviously there will be many qfs and sfs that won't be included in this stat.

Comment

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
                        Mr. Beal,

I have another silly question. Some writers submit two or three scripts. Does any writer get more than one comment posted in a given year, (assuming the comments don't come from the same script).

Thanks.
                        That's not something we watch for one way or another. Since a number of entrants have had two semifinal scripts and even two scripts in the top 30, it would be possible. I don't think it has happened but I don't know absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                          That's not something we watch for one way or another. Since a number of entrants have had two semifinal scripts and even two scripts in the top 30, it would be possible. I don't think it has happened but I don't know absolutely.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                            Greg, is the percentage of fellows and finalists who acquire agents/managers off their placements tracked? Obviously there will be many qfs and sfs that won't be included in this stat.
                            Nope, we haven't tracked it. Nor do we track sales or options. Long ago, I realized I couldn't keep up with sales, options, etc. and couldn't be sure what was real and what wasn't quite as real. We do track produced films and television series creation and staffing.

Since it's available to the public, I have looked at the WGA membership database, which also includes reps. That resource doesn't seem to be entirely up to date but I have used it to draw some comparisons in the past.

Plus, it's hard to know how exactly a sale or rep attained occurred. Was it a direct result of a Nicholl placement or a combination of factors? If the latter, would it count as being the result of a Nicholl placement?

For instance, I would certainly count the sales of Arlington Road and Finding Forrester as a direct result of their Nicholl status. Since Armored sold after Jay Simpson was named a Nicholl finalist, was that the central reason or were other factors equally important? Becomes tough to know exactly how something came to pass.

Comment

If I did the math properly on my 10-key while looking at the scrolling feed of the 66 countries, there are -give or take a couple - 7,197 entries this year.

Good luck to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
                                If I did the math properly on my 10-key while looking at the scrolling feed of the 66 countries, there are -give or take a couple - 7,197 entries this year.

Good luck to all!
                                Good job - there should be a prize for someone who guesses - or comes the closest to guessing - the number of entries...
                                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Working...
                                X