No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Good job - there should be a prize for someone who guesses - or comes the closest to guessing - the number of entries...
    Thanks Let's call it the Tommy Shaw Award after the guy who wrote & sang this classic.

Comment

When I got my confirmation and the number assigned to my entry (submitted 1 hour and 15 minutes from the deadline), I knew Nicholl shattered its 6730 record from last year.

Must be the "innovations" of two guaranteed full reads per entry and the increase of $5000 per fellowship.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire on the other thread but I just want to say that I commend Greg Beal for appropriating good elements from several contests to strengthen Nicholl. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by HRCLPRT View Post
        When I got my confirmation and the number assigned to my entry (submitted 1 hour and 15 minutes from the deadline), I knew Nicholl shattered its 6730 record from last year.

Must be the "innovations" of two guaranteed full reads per entry and the increase of $5000 per fellowship.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire on the other thread but I just want to say that I commend Greg Beal for appropriating good elements from several contests to strengthen Nicholl. I don't see anything wrong with that.
        Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
          Thanks Let's call it the Tommy Shaw Award after the guy who wrote & sang this classic.

And now I'm gonna have that sing playing in my head....
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Well, just to redress the balance from my comments on the other thread-

Nicholl is an awesome competition. Extremely well run and professional. They always meet deadlines (unlike some others I can mention) and they respond to emails promptly. Plus having a presence on DD is always a good thing.

I liked that, before they converted to PDF, I seem to remember they tested out the system of entering PDFs on foreigners like myself who would otherwise have had to cough up bucks for brads and postage and the like. That was the first time I entered.

I liked that, for the first time a few years ago, their placement emails also included PS. You were top 10% or PS. You were in the 100 outside of the QF. That was a neat touch and left a contestant feeling not so cast out in the cold.

I respect that, of the finalist scripts I've read, they've all been top quality which means their judging procedure is right on the money.

And of course, aside from all this, it's one of the cheapest to enter compared to prize level/amount and level of exposure you'll get to important players.

But we all already know this on DD. As I say, Just wanted to redress the balance.

Comment

I could have sworn it was nary.
              Free Script Reads and Notes

​
              ​

Comment

And now I'm gonna have that sing playing in my head....
                My bad, sorry.

Comment

Questions for Greg:

How much advance notice will we get when you're ready to send out notifications in the quarter-final round?

Will we know the exact date notifications will go out?

Or will we just get an email "some time late July/early August?"
                  "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                    Well, just to redress the balance from my comments on the other thread-

Nicholl is an awesome competition. Extremely well run and professional. They always meet deadlines (unlike some others I can mention) and they respond to emails promptly. Plus having a presence on DD is always a good thing.

I liked that, before they converted to PDF, I seem to remember they tested out the system of entering PDFs on foreigners like myself who would otherwise have had to cough up bucks for brads and postage and the like. That was the first time I entered.

I liked that, for the first time a few years ago, their placement emails also included PS. You were top 10% or PS. You were in the 100 outside of the QF. That was a neat touch and left a contestant feeling not so cast out in the cold.

I respect that, of the finalist scripts I've read, they've all been top quality which means their judging procedure is right on the money.

And of course, aside from all this, it's one of the cheapest to enter compared to prize level/amount and level of exposure you'll get to important players.

But we all already know this on DD. As I say, Just wanted to redress the balance.
                    Thanks.

BTW, we included handwritten PS notes on regret letters in 1989 and ever since. The first year we moved to email notifications we couldn't add the PS notes in a timely fashion and so sent separate emails to everyone slated to receive a PS note.

Comment

Questions for Greg:

How much advance notice will we get when you're ready to send out notifications in the quarter-final round?

Will we know the exact date notifications will go out?

Or will we just get an email "some time late July/early August?"
                      None.

No.

Yes (though I hope it's in late July).

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                        None.

No.

Yes (though I hope it's in late July).
                        The element of surprise!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Wow. Good luck to all. Be there next year. http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120516.html
                          "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                          -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
                            Wow. Good luck to all. Be there next year. http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120516.html
                            Bad Link Corrected to here

And my 10-key skills were bang-on!
                            So I win the inaugural Tommy Shaw Award Huzzah for me!

Comment

i love this breakdown. kinda like the Olympics...
                              http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/index.html
                              CA & NY stacked while countries like Nicaragua has only 1 entry -- the Jamaican bobsled guy

Comment

My God, 7200 entries. Greg, will there be additional fellowships awarded corresponding to the number of entries?

Comment

Working...
                                X