No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    My God, 7200 entries. Greg, will there be additional fellowships awarded corresponding to the number of entries?
    Probably not. They upped the prize money to 35k per Fellowship. They make a big loss every year, which (I presume) will be bigger this year since everyone gets a minimum two reads now.

Comment

A very interesting insight into the distribution of Nicholl entrants.

Top 5:
      1) 2671 - California, USA
      2) 763 - New York, USA
      3) 251 - United Kingdom
      4) 225 - Texas, USA
      5) 213 - Florida, USA

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
        My God, 7200 entries. Greg, will there be additional fellowships awarded corresponding to the number of entries?
        Oooh, oooh.. good idea! More fellowships please!
        "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Quite a nice plug for the Nicholl from former finalists on this podcast (#39) http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist-writers-panel/
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
            Quite a nice plug for the Nicholl from former finalists on this podcast (#39) http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist-writers-panel/
            Thanks for pointing out the podcast, JoJo. We linked to it on the Nicholl Facebook page.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
              Thanks for pointing out the podcast, JoJo. We linked to it on the Nicholl Facebook page.
              YW! And there were good points about while a Nicholl win might not always automatically lead directly to a sale, it does get you in meetings with people who, 2-3 years down the line, remember you and offer you a writing gig that does lead to a sale... a Nicholl win facilitates the building of relationships... and this business is all about relationships.

Comment

The readers' comments are a truly hilarious torture -- anyone else foreswearing reading them, and then inexorably, inevitably taking a peak? Like, every day? Ha!

I don't have a problem with their being posted, at all -- it's all in good fun -- but they're clearly (based upon likes/comments on the FB page) getting everyone (like myself) all riled up. Too funny!!!

Comment

Of the 7,197 scripts entered...

2,033 are female writers
                  5,164 are males.

I thought it'd tip slightly in favor of male writers but not this much. I wonder what accounts for the difference? That more male-centric movies get made and therefore men may be more interested in it as a career?

Or... does it mean nothing.

http://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships

Comment

FYI - every year the entry split is around 70-30 male to female. Probably has ranged over the past 20 years between 68-32 and 72-28.

Originally posted by figment View Post
                    Of the 7,197 scripts entered...

2,033 are female writers
                    5,164 are males.

I thought it'd tip slightly in favor of male writers but not this much. I wonder what accounts for the difference? That more male-centric movies get made and therefore men may be more interested in it as a career?

Or... does it mean nothing.

http://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships

Comment

FYI - every year the entry split is around 70-30 male to female. Probably has ranged over the past 20 years between 68-32 and 72-28.
                      Greg, has the number of finalists/fellows selected ever changed since the contest's inception?

Comment

Are all the gals writing novels instead? Cause more women buy novels than men? Cause movies cater to young men, and are therefore written by them? Cause men are more visual and can write visually more easily, and women are verbal (too verbose for the Hollywood page limit that novels don't have?) Hmmm...

Comment

Are all the gals writing novels instead? Cause more women buy novels than men? Cause movies cater to young men, and are therefore written by them? Cause men are more visual and can write visually more easily, and women are verbal (too verbose for the Hollywood page limit that novels don't have?) Hmmm...

I think you're looking too much into things...

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                            I think you're looking too much into things...
                            It's a significant gender disparity, and as part of the minority, I have a right to question it.

Comment

It's a significant gender disparity, and as part of the minority, I have a right to question it.
                              What are you questioning? That more men than women enter a competition that's open to anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
                                What are you questioning? That more men than women enter a competition that's open to anybody?
                                Why don't more women enter? It has to with why don't more women write screenplays? That's what I'm questioning.

I'm sure the percentage of entries written by women reflects the percentage of women writing screenplays....

Women are 51% of the population, yet only 30% of the screenwriting population.

Why is that?

Comment

Working...
                                X