• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    Greg, are reader comments being posted every day? I think today's and another one this past week were skipped.
    No, they're not. We've been on a two-days with, one without schedule thus far.

Since we're posting excerpts about six weeks earlier than last year, we wanted to start out slowly.

Leave a comment:

• AlexNoa
    Regular

• AlexNoa
    replied

Greg, are reader comments being posted every day? I think today's and another one this past week were skipped.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Shaken_Vesper View Post
    I'm kind of late to the party, so sorry about that. Question: For a collaborative entry, if the script is chosen for a Fellowship, does the prize money get split evenly between the writers ($17.5k a piece) or do both writers receive the full amount ($35k a piece)? This is ambiguous on the Nicholl site.
    The fellowship is split between the collaborators.

Found a typo in your script sample, Greg.
    If you would point it out, we could fix it. Apparently, it's been overlooked for a long, long time.

Leave a comment:

• Presto
    replied

Don't get too cocky, I'll bet you'll have some on your Nicholl entry.
    Last edited by Presto; 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shaken_Vesper
    User

• Shaken_Vesper
    replied

I'm kind of late to the party, so sorry about that. Question: For a collaborative entry, if the script is chosen for a Fellowship, does the prize money get split evenly between the writers ($17.5k a piece) or do both writers receive the full amount ($35k a piece)? This is ambiguous on the Nicholl site.

You might want to look at the Nicholl format guide, which I wrote originally long ago when I was talking about formatting at the Austin Screenwriting Conference. Here's a link:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/scriptsample.pdf

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Email us at nicholl at oscars.org. Include the new title and the former title to be added to the log line. We'll add it.
    Thank you. Will do.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    Hi, Greg. Thanks for the info. Now... since I didn't do that when I submitted my script this morning, is there some way to get this info included? I just tried to add the old title to my logline, but with the entry fee paid and everything submitted, it looks like no changes are allowed.
    Email us at nicholl at oscars.org. Include the new title and the former title to be added to the log line. We'll add it.

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

The first page of the application asks whether the writer has entered previously but does not deal with specific scripts. If the title stays the same, the system automatically excludes it from a previous reader's potential assignments.

If you have changed a title, it's handy to include the old title in your log line. Something like (aka Old Title) would give us a little additional information.
    Hi, Greg. Thanks for the info. Now... since I didn't do that when I submitted my script this morning, is there some way to get this info included? I just tried to add the old title to my logline, but with the entry fee paid and everything submitted, it looks like no changes are allowed.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    So even if the title has changed from last year to this year, there's no problem? I didn't see any place this year to say whether the script had been submitted in a past year.
    The first page of the application asks whether the writer has entered previously but does not deal with specific scripts. If the title stays the same, the system automatically excludes it from a previous reader's potential assignments.

If you have changed a title, it's handy to include the old title in your log line. Something like (aka Old Title) would give us a little additional information.

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

Our system doesn't allow us to assign a script title to a reader who has previously read that script and warns us if the reader has read the writer previously. By and large, we do not assign any writer's script to a reader who has read the writer in a prior year.
    So even if the title has changed from last year to this year, there's no problem? I didn't see any place this year to say whether the script had been submitted in a past year.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

As the Nicholl early deadline approaches, a few tips and reminders to anyone who is currently in panic mode trying to make the 11:59 pm PT, March 15 cut-off.

Final Draft 7.0 creates immense PDF files, which the Nicholl application will not allow to upload. Upgrading to FD 7.1 or later or adding a free PDF converter such as CutePDF or PDF995 will eliminate the problem.

Entrants have found that our finicky application form seems to like some browsers in some OSs on some days and others on other days. If you're hitting a wall in Internet Explorer or Safari, try switching to Chrome or Firefox. Or vice versa.

We have discovered that the Select Script (for upload) button does not function in Firefox 3.6.x. It is possible that it may not work in other older Firefox versions. The solution is to update to Firefox 10 or to switch to IE or Safari or Chrome.

If you're a new entrant and have not yet created an account, you might want to do so now rather than wait until 11:37 pm on March 15. Accounts can be created in advance and are needed to access the application form.

Having a log line ready to go prior to filling out the application may save you a few minutes. BTW, log lines are never seen by readers but do help us assign scripts to readers.

Remember to remove your name and other personal information from your title page and all other pages of your screenplay prior to creating your PDF.

If you have any questions or have encountered any problems with the application, please email us at nicholl at oscars.org. Or add your questions to this thread. Emailing may garner a quicker response.

Good luck to all entrants.

The Nicholl application form, rules and FAQs are linked at:

http://www.oscars.org/nicholl

Leave a comment:

• SundownInRetreat

• SundownInRetreat
    replied

Do readers think Nicholl entrants are wasting space when they include shots as in a shooting script?

Most probably do.

Write a good enough script and they won't care.

Write an okay script and they're more apt to notice.

Other than a few selected shots - POV and Insert/Close Ups being the most obvious - there's no reason to include shots in a spec draft. And those same shots can be written into a script without calling a single shot by using a style similar to what you posted earlier.
    I was referring to POV and close ups. Not looking to direct any swooping camera shots. Thanks once again.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Thanks for that.

The document mentioned no camera shots - is that still a no no or is there leeway?
    Do readers think Nicholl entrants are wasting space when they include shots as in a shooting script?

Most probably do.

Write a good enough script and they won't care.

Write an okay script and they're more apt to notice.

Other than a few selected shots - POV and Insert/Close Ups being the most obvious - there's no reason to include shots in a spec draft. And those same shots can be written into a script without calling a single shot by using a style similar to what you posted earlier.

Leave a comment:

• SundownInRetreat

• SundownInRetreat
    replied

Thanks for that.

The document mentioned no camera shots - is that still a no no or is there leeway?

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Yes, that style would be fine. I can't imagine a reader thinking poorly of a script because of such usage. (Of course, I can't imagine a reader being affected by a few typos. On the other hand, 20 typos on page one - that will affect most readers.)

You might want to look at the Nicholl format guide, which I wrote originally long ago when I was talking about formatting at the Austin Screenwriting Conference. Here's a link:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/scriptsample.pdf

See the bottom of page 7 for a variant of the style used below.

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Hi Greg,

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread:
    http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=65182

Most notably post 8 on page 1 (BattleDophinZero) and post 34 on page 4 (Brian Koppelman).

The thread is about non traditional slug lines. BDZ advocates slugs like HE DUCKS INTO THE BATHROOM for a better flow and Brian Koppelman says he has never used INT or EXT.

I really like both approaches and would like to know If I veer away from the traditional, will I be marked down by the Nicholl readers - even though pros, such as Frank, Black, Helgeland and Kelly already do the same? Or will your readers not care as long as the script is good? The pros confirmed agents & studios don't care about any of this but what aboutcompetitions?

Eg: would this - from a spec script that was bought and produced - fly with your readers or be rejected because it does't adhere to the Trottier's rules?

ACROSS THE STREET
    Is a tunnel. Not an alley. A tunnel.

BLACK
    Moves towards it. And he sees something on the ground. It's

THE CORSAGE
    That Debbie was holding.

BLACK
    Approaches the tunnel and he sees something else on the ground.

A SEVERED ARM
    With bright red nail polish and bright red blood.

BLACK
    Looks back. All of the people are in the street. None willing to join him.

In my mind, writing like this is a no brainer.

However, I emailed the above to another well regarded competition and got a fairly stock, and very disappointing reply, that regurgitated the myths that lead amateurs astray, including the classic "pros can do what they want but amateurs can have their script tossed for a typo".

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X