• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoJo
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by figment View Post

During peak reading times 600 or so scripts are read in a week. I imagine they just have a ton more readers at those times, not that one reader is suddenly forced to read twenty scripts a day.
    But do we know that for sure? That they add more readers during the peak? I read somewhere April through July was the busiest reading period, which is why I'm planning a mid-Feb entry. Given it might even take a couple of weeks to process (I doubt it will take that long) I'm hoping for an early March read before the big deluge.

I have the feeling there will be a big spike on March 15 for those wanting to save some dough... my goal is to be read before things get crazy for those valiant readers.

And don't forget each script gets reads twice this year (yay!) so the readers' work load had now doubled... but the time frame has not.
    Last edited by JoJo; 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post

Yeah, Christmas in my house sucked.

HH
    Here's hoping Christmas 2012 will bring sugar plums from the Nicholl judges for you!

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

Most of these questions can be answered by checking out the FAQ:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/faqs.html#process

Starting from that point scroll down a tiny bit -- it states that the scripts get read as they come in. Readers are given a "stack" of scripts according to their own personal reading preferences -- no one's getting a thriller or a Rom-com if they've stated they hate them. When they're done with those, they get another stack.

During peak reading times 600 or so scripts are read in a week. I imagine they just have a ton more readers at those times, not that one reader is suddenly forced to read twenty scripts a day.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

Greg -- do you send out scripts to readers as they come in or wait until the deadline to sort and send?

I'm thinking if you send them out as they come in then the readers can read more at their leisure and the crowd of scripts coming in the last 3 days may get in the "rushed" pile. Please don't give the politically correct answer. Tell the truth so people can decide whether to send their scripts in early... or tweak it until the last day because it doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Yeah, it's like Christmas when you're 8. You know exactly what you wanted, and you did your damnedest to be good all year, AND you told yourself this is the last year you were going to believe in Santa Claus if he didn't come through...and you race downstairs (always downstairs; these things never happen in a ranch), past the uneaten cookies, past the wrapped presents 'cause Santa doesn't wrap, dammit! and straight to the tree hoping hoping...

And if it's the big bike with a cool name like Predator or Trailblazer to replace the one you've outgrown that has the rusty spokes...maybe there is a Santa Claus.

Or maybe it's the three piece suit with matching tie and socks that you remembered your mom giggling with glee and saying you'd look so cute in it when you were in Sears two weeks prior...

Yeah, Christmas in my house sucked.

HH

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by jsay View Post
    i love this time of year... when Nicholl talk heats up...
    Will visions of being a finalist dancing in all our pretty, little heads.... at this stage, hope springs eternal and anything is possible... I'm stoked!

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Late - as in the last several days. Usually about half the entries arrive in the last week or so.
    I had the feeling there were more late-comers than early birds.

I'd read that April through July was the most intense reading period.... I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but are the lovely and wonderful Nicholl readers kinda overwhelmed being buried under that avalanche of scripts?

Do you think it might be better to enter earlier when the readers are more fresh, and not so overwhelmed?

Leave a comment:

• jsay
    replied

i love this time of year... when Nicholl talk heats up...

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

From the Nicholl "About" page:

Early bird entry fee of US$35 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 15) or regular deadline entry fee of US$52 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1)

We'll see about adding the information to the FAQs as well.
    Yeh, that's one place I didn't think to look. I checked the Rules/How To page, the FAQ, and the pdf doc with the rules. You might also consider adding that info to the pdf.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Thanks for pointing out the mssing information in the FAQs. The early deadline changed, which may be the reason the date isn't there.

From the Nicholl "About" page:

Early bird entry fee of US$35 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 15) or regular deadline entry fee of US$52 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1)

We'll see about adding the information to the FAQs as well.

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.
    Maybe it's just my eyesight. But if not, then FYI: At the Nicholl site, I found this:
    Q: What do I need to do to enter the competition?

A: You need to submit an original feature film screenplay in PDF format, a completed online application form and, depending upon when you enter, either a US$35 or US$52 entry fee.

Q: When are the application forms available?

A: The online application typically becomes available in late January. The application period traditionally closes on May 1.

Q: When is the entry deadline?

A: In 2012, it is 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 1. The online application form will be shut down at that time.
    But, I did not find any mention of March 15 as an/the early deadline.

Suggestion: Augment that last Q&A to show both deadlines and their respective fees (yes, even though the fees are mentioned above).

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Do more enter early or enter late?
    Late - as in the last several days. Usually about half the entries arrive in the last week or so.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Greg, good to know about the file upload - thanks!

Here's another question: What percentage of entries are received between the opening date and the early deadline, and what percentage are received after the early deadline?

Do more enter early or enter late?

Leave a comment:

• acquaformosa
    replied

Originally posted by justin View Post
    Greg

How much of that list would apply to finalists/winners from countries other than the US? Would you pay airfares from abroad to attend the first week in LA?
    Yes, we fly fellows and finalists in from wherever they live.
    I'll certainly vouch for and reiterate Greg's response regarding int'l locations. When I was a finalist, I was living in New Zealand at the time. Arrangements would have been made to fly to and from Auckland, but as it turned out, I was in the midst of moving to Seattle, so by the time of Nicholl week in November, it became something of a moot point since I had already moved to Seattle by then.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Greg, will we be notified if our script was uploaded ok? Or if it wasn't?
    After the upload your script, the program notifies you automatically that it was uploaded sucessfully prior to your being able to move on to the payment page. If you selected the correct PDF file, all is well.

Yes, we do notify entrants when they submit only a title page or some other problematic version of a screenplay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X