• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Richmond Weems

• Richmond Weems
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

I heard QFs will be announced Dec 25th. I'm not stating that as fact, just what I heard.

HH

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
    Last year Quarterfinalists were announced on July 30, for what that's worth. In 2010 the announcement came on July 22, and in 2009 it was on August 1. There's never any advance notice, and Greg never tips his hand. The email comes right out of the blue.
    What time did those emails arrive in your inbox?

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, folks.

So when you say "GB never tips his hand" you mean that he doesn't post anything anywhere saying "Check your emails tomorrow/on Monday, etc."

Which means that the email could come at any time now. Like, in five minutes, or Saturday afternoon, or August 2nd at 8am.

Note to self: Give computer to friend/therapist/valet until 8/2 so that I can't manically check email like an OCD nutbag.
    There will be thousands of us ready to be sent to the funny farm over the next week or so!

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    I've seen various posts speculating about late announcements or referring to a Nicholl post that mentioned a late announcement (for QFs), but when I searched, I couldn't find any post by Nicholl or Greg that said announcements might be late. I did see a Nicholl post that said, because of the extra read, things were taking longer than they had anticipated. But, again, no mention of late QF announcements. And there was one poster who posted about an August 4 announcement, and other posters assumed this was a typo. The talk might have stemmed from this post.
    I too remembered seeing the Aug. 4th date on FB, but did not think it was a type-o. Figured the announcement might be delayed due to the double reads this year. But I also heard Greg likes to be earlier than the possible announcement date.. either way, it's gonna be a long weekend.

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

...Someone on this thread, about four posts back, mentioned there might be a delay; I thought perhaps he or she got that idea from the post responses on FB that I can't see.
    I've seen various posts speculating about late announcements or referring to a Nicholl post that mentioned a late announcement (for QFs), but when I searched, I couldn't find any post by Nicholl or Greg that said announcements might be late. I did see a Nicholl post that said, because of the extra read, things were taking longer than they had anticipated. But, again, no mention of late QF announcements. And there was one poster who posted about an August 4 announcement, and other posters assumed this was a typo. The talk might have stemmed from this post.

Leave a comment:

• sixridgeroad
    Regular

• sixridgeroad
    replied

I'm not sure that "trust" ever entered my thinking on this subject. I can see posts where users ask "When are we being notified?" but can't see if you or other Nicholl folks have responded to their direct questions. Someone on this thread, about four posts back, mentioned there might be a delay; I thought perhaps he or she got that idea from the post responses on FB that I can't see.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Thanks for chiming in, Greg.

Just FYI, FB does allow non-users to see the Nicholl page and people's posts, but it doesn't let them see responses to the posts, if you follow.

I think that's why I was unaware of the possible delay in announcements that someone mentioned in the thread.
    Let me see if I understand: you can see all the Nicholl posts and comments in which there is no mention of a delay. You cannot see other posts, which apparently mention a possible delay.

Should you trust the Nicholl posts and comments you can see or the comments by others you cannot see?

Leave a comment:

• sixridgeroad
    Regular

• sixridgeroad
    replied

Thanks for chiming in, Greg.

Just FYI, FB does allow non-users to see the Nicholl page and people's posts, but it doesn't let them see responses to the posts, if you follow.

I think that's why I was unaware of the possible delay in announcements that someone mentioned in the thread.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

. . . there's a lot of back and forth on Facebook which I'm not privy to (seeing as I'm not on FB).
    Pretty sure anyone can see all of the Nicholl status updates on our Facebook page without having a FB account. You just have to visit -

http://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships -

and you too can be part all the fun (well, you can't post).

No tipping thus far and we wish there was more tippling.

Leave a comment:

• discrazy
    Guest replied

Originally posted by briking View Post
    I believe I saw on FB that Greg said it was taking longer than they thought, and weren't sure if it'd be before Aug. 1st.
    With a record number of entries, I wouldn't be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• sixridgeroad
    Regular

• sixridgeroad
    replied

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

So when you say "GB never tips his hand" you mean that he doesn't post anything anywhere saying "Check your emails tomorrow/on Monday, etc."

Which means that the email could come at any time now. Like, in five minutes, or Saturday afternoon, or August 2nd at 8am.

Note to self: Give computer to friend/therapist/valet until 8/2 so that I can't manically check email like an OCD nutbag.

Leave a comment:

• briking
    Regular

• briking
    replied

Does anyone have a more precise sense as to when the quarterfinalists will be notified?

Site says late July, but there's a lot of back and forth on Facebook which I'm not privy to (seeing as I'm not on FB). I'm wondering if people's direct timetable questions are being answered there.

Good luck to everyone! Very exciting for those of us with our work at stake, no?
    I believe I saw on FB that Greg said it was taking longer than they thought, and weren't sure if it'd be before Aug. 1st.

Leave a comment:

• Aspirant

• Aspirant
    replied

Last year Quarterfinalists were announced on July 30, for what that's worth. In 2010 the announcement came on July 22, and in 2009 it was on August 1. There's never any advance notice, and Greg never tips his hand. The email comes right out of the blue.

Leave a comment:

• acquaformosa
    Regular

• acquaformosa
    replied

According to my email archives, the Nicholl notifications for the past two years kinda went as follows:

2011 - July 29th
    2010 - July 22nd

Prior to 2010, notification might have been primarily via snail mail. I guess it could be any day now, but my money's on early next week sometime.

Leave a comment:

• jsay
    replied

should be any day now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X