No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    The first page of the application asks whether the writer has entered previously but does not deal with specific scripts. If the title stays the same, the system automatically excludes it from a previous reader's potential assignments.

If you have changed a title, it's handy to include the old title in your log line. Something like (aka Old Title) would give us a little additional information.
    Hi, Greg. Thanks for the info. Now... since I didn't do that when I submitted my script this morning, is there some way to get this info included? I just tried to add the old title to my logline, but with the entry fee paid and everything submitted, it looks like no changes are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
      Hi, Greg. Thanks for the info. Now... since I didn't do that when I submitted my script this morning, is there some way to get this info included? I just tried to add the old title to my logline, but with the entry fee paid and everything submitted, it looks like no changes are allowed.
      Email us at nicholl at oscars.org. Include the new title and the former title to be added to the log line. We'll add it.

Comment

Email us at nicholl at oscars.org. Include the new title and the former title to be added to the log line. We'll add it.
        Thank you. Will do.

Comment

I'm kind of late to the party, so sorry about that. Question: For a collaborative entry, if the script is chosen for a Fellowship, does the prize money get split evenly between the writers ($17.5k a piece) or do both writers receive the full amount ($35k a piece)? This is ambiguous on the Nicholl site.

You might want to look at the Nicholl format guide, which I wrote originally long ago when I was talking about formatting at the Austin Screenwriting Conference. Here's a link:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/scriptsample.pdf
          Found a typo in your script sample, Greg.
          Shaken, not stirred.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaken_Vesper View Post
            Don't get too cocky, I'll bet you'll have some on your Nicholl entry.
            Last edited by Presto; 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I'm kind of late to the party, so sorry about that. Question: For a collaborative entry, if the script is chosen for a Fellowship, does the prize money get split evenly between the writers ($17.5k a piece) or do both writers receive the full amount ($35k a piece)? This is ambiguous on the Nicholl site.
              The fellowship is split between the collaborators.

If you would point it out, we could fix it. Apparently, it's been overlooked for a long, long time.

Comment

Greg, are reader comments being posted every day? I think today's and another one this past week were skipped.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                  Greg, are reader comments being posted every day? I think today's and another one this past week were skipped.
                  No, they're not. We've been on a two-days with, one without schedule thus far.

Since we're posting excerpts about six weeks earlier than last year, we wanted to start out slowly.

Comment

Is it "nary"?
                    Free Script Reads and Notes

​
                    ​

Comment

Why? Nary is a word.

The only typo I could spot is "repertoire" is spelled "repetoire".

Comment

Originally posted by Presto View Post
                        Don't get too cocky, I'll bet you'll have some on your Nicholl entry.
                        We hates typos. We hates them, preciousss.

Originally posted by gregbeal
                        The fellowship is split between the collaborators.
                        Thanks for answering my question.

If you would point it out, we could fix it. Apparently, it's been overlooked for a long, long time.
                        On page 2. April's dialogue:

APRIL
                        No bold, no itals, no script
                        fonts, no Gothic, no Helvetica,
                        no Times Roman. Stick with
                        Courier. That's the industry
                        standard.

I think April meant to say "italics" not "itals." It could be argued that April has her own personal slang and always refers to italics as "itals," so I'll leave that up to you whether that's a typo or not. Dialogue is a gray area.

Then there's page 11: repetoire. Here, again, perhaps you intended for the actress to pronounce repertoire in a specific way (without the 'r').
                        Shaken, not stirred.

Comment

On page 2. April's dialogue:

APRIL
                          No bold, no itals, no script
                          fonts, no Gothic, no Helvetica,
                          no Times Roman. Stick with
                          Courier. That's the industry
                          standard.

I think April meant to say "italics" not "itals." It could be argued that April has her own personal slang and always refers to italics as "itals," so I'll leave that up to you whether that's a typo or not. Dialogue is a gray area.

Then there's page 11: repetoire. Here, again, perhaps you intended for the actress to pronounce repertoire in a specific way (without the 'r').
                          April did indeed mean to say "itals." That's just her way.

"Repetoire" is a typo; and it has been overlooked for years. Thanks to those of you who pointed it out.

We might have to rewrite the quoted section as at least bold is appearing more often in scripts these days.

Comment

April did indeed mean to say "itals." That's just her way.

"Repetoire" is a typo; and it has been overlooked for years. Thanks to those of you who pointed it out.

We might have to rewrite the quoted section as at least bold is appearing more often in scripts these days.
                            My script - as I'm sure a lot of my fellow writers do - has italics (dialogue and action slugs) and bold (scene headings) in parts of the script. And in the title, a non-Courier font. Is this allowable or will we have points deducted from our style-part of the evaluation?

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                              My script - as I'm sure a lot of my fellow writers do - has italics (dialogue and action slugs) and bold (scene headings) in parts of the script. And in the title, a non-Courier font. Is this allowable or will we have points deducted from our style-part of the evaluation?
                              I'm not sure a lot of writers are regularly using bold and italics throughout their scripts, but some certainly are. Many scripts have non-Courier titles.

Points are not deducted by any reader I know for such usage.

Comment

Hi Greg!

I use celtx and it automatically formats the script when creating a PDF.

In scene descriptions it forces a single space after periods, even if you initially had a double space.

Visually I think it still looks fine, but how do you and your staff feel about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X