Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

    Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    April did indeed mean to say "itals." That's just her way.
    Oh, that cheeky monkey April.

    We might have to rewrite the quoted section as at least bold is appearing more often in scripts these days.
    I use bold for slug lines nowadays. Underline to emphasize maybe 1 to 3 words per script where and when I'm feeling saucy (usually dialogue). I hardly ever use wrylies, except to denote inline action or focus of the dialogue, like:

    Code:
              SHAKEN VESPER
         (slams cards on the
         table)
    Full house, boys! Read 'em and
    weep! Hoo-doggy!
    or

    Code:
              SLIM KIM
         (re: Jim's copstache)
    That thing should have its own
    zip code.
    But I'm just one (as yet) un-produced writer. You guys at Nicholl would best know the wider trends.
    Last edited by Shaken_Vesper; 04-08-2012, 01:20 AM.
    Shaken, not stirred.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

      Originally posted by Anagram View Post
      Hi Greg!

      I use celtx and it automatically formats the script when creating a PDF.

      In scene descriptions it forces a single space after periods, even if you initially had a double space.

      Visually I think it still looks fine, but how do you and your staff feel about it?
      You are joking, yes? Is it still April 1?

      hkjhkhkhkj. ogoglhgjhgjgjhgjhg

      - or -

      hkjhkhkhkj. ogoglhgjhgjgjhgjhg

      Here's my answer - no one gives a #$%@&*.

      Why don't you post this question over in the screenwriting section and let the pros weigh in?

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

        Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        You are joking, yes? Is it still April 1?

        hkjhkhkhkj. ogoglhgjhgjgjhgjhg

        - or -

        hkjhkhkhkj. ogoglhgjhgjgjhgjhg

        Here's my answer - no one gives a #$%@&*.

        Why don't you post this question over in the screenwriting section and let the pros weigh in?

        Hehe I entered a contest last year where I had single spaces after the period. The contest gave feedback and one of the comments was:

        (paraphrasing): "don't put single spaces after your period, it's not standard and it kept distracting me and taking me out of the story. "

        Ah well...

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

          Originally posted by Anagram View Post
          Hehe I entered a contest last year where I had single spaces after the period. The contest gave feedback and one of the comments was:

          (paraphrasing): "don't put single spaces after your period, it's not standard and it kept distracting me and taking me out of the story. "

          Ah well...
          The person who wrote that should be punched in the face.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

            Or in the throat. Better way to shut someone the fvck up.

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

              okay Greg - i got one... i haven't done this, but just wondering... if someone enters a script early and then rewrites* it and resubmits it near the last deadline will Nicholl read them as two separate entries? or will there be reason to discard the dublicate? or what?


              *b/c it just wasn't ready OR had an alternative ending OR something silly like they forgot they entered it so long ago? lol!

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                okay Greg - i got one... i haven't done this, but just wondering... if someone enters a script early and then rewrites* it and resubmits it near the last deadline will Nicholl read them as two separate entries? or will there be reason to discard the dublicate? or what?


                *b/c it just wasn't ready OR had an alternative ending OR something silly like they forgot they entered it so long ago? lol!
                This is why we suggest not submitting until a writer is certain that the draft is finished. The rule was a reaction to some entrants attempting to "game" the competition by entering multiple drafts of the same script. Submitting multiple drafts could result in all versions being disqualified.

                From the Nicholl rules:

                "Only one copy, draft or version of any screenplay may be submitted by an entrant or entrants. Under no circumstances will substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entry screenplays be allowed. . . ."

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                  Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                  The person who wrote that should be punched in the face.
                  I guess I took it at face value at the time.

                  A lot of the pro posts here in the last year have impressed upon me that the nitpicking-type rules don't matter.

                  If someone's doing that it probably means they dislike your script and are looking for a reason to dump on it.

                  Saying I didn't follow industry 'standards' probably meant I'd missed the mark concept/execution wise.

                  That was a while ago.

                  I've gotten better.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                    Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    The person who wrote that should be punched in the face.
                    Why?

                    Comment


                    • Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                      Originally posted by ATB View Post
                      Or in the throat. Better way to shut someone the fvck up.
                      Good idea. That'll teach 'em to try to get you to write properly and avoid distracting grammatical errors in your script.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                        Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                        I guess I took it at face value at the time.

                        A lot of the pro posts here in the last year have impressed upon me that the nitpicking-type rules don't matter.

                        If someone's doing that it probably means they dislike your script and are looking for a reason to dump on it.

                        Saying I didn't follow industry 'standards' probably meant I'd missed the mark concept/execution wise.

                        That was a while ago.

                        I've gotten better.
                        Ah, the long shadow of "No Rules" Lowell ...

                        But I don't recall Jeff or any of the other pros around here saying that correct grammar doesn't matter.

                        I'm not a pro, but I wouldn't have been so quick to dismiss the comment you received as mere "nitpicking" or take it as a sign that the reader simply didn't like your script and was "looking for a reason to dump on it." That's not a "pro" attitude, in my opinion, nor is it likely to get you any closer to becoming one. Although message boards like this one don't allow for it, two spaces are supposed to follow a period at the end of a sentence, and using only one looks bad in standard Courier 12-point font (assuming you haven't dispensed with that annoying little rule, as well). I think it's very possible that your reader was, in fact, genuinely distracted by your using only one space and that others would feel the same way. So it sounds like useful feedback to me.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                          Actually, two spaces is wrong. If you are a certain age and took "typing" as opposed to "keyboarding" in middle school, then they taught you to use two spaces after a period, which is now no longer correct.

                          Two spaces looks weird. And is techincally wrong. When trying to save space anyway in a script, those extra spaces here and there can cost you an entire line.

                          http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._invaders.html

                          And yes, this atricle states that courier does look different, but, still. When the rest of the world uses one, why use two? Techincally, one is correct.

                          Of course, since this board is home to many who like to argue everything to death, please, do what ever you want. I don't care. Really. Run, people, run with the wind.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                            Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
                            Ah, the long shadow of "No Rules" Lowell ...

                            But I don't recall Jeff or any of the other pros around here saying that correct grammar doesn't matter.

                            I'm not a pro, but I wouldn't have been so quick to dismiss the comment you received as mere "nitpicking" or take it as a sign that the reader simply didn't like your script and was "looking for a reason to dump on it." That's not a "pro" attitude, in my opinion, nor is it likely to get you any closer to becoming one. Although message boards like this one don't allow for it, two spaces are supposed to follow a period at the end of a sentence, and using only one looks bad in standard Courier 12-point font (assuming you haven't dispensed with that annoying little rule, as well). I think it's very possible that your reader was, in fact, genuinely distracted by your using only one space and that others would feel the same way. So it sounds like useful feedback to me.
                            It's absolutely an asinine note. I've used one space in everything I've sold or been hired to write. No one cares if it's one or two spaces.

                            Btw, was there really a need to add your flip little comment about courier too?
                            https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

                            Comment


                            • Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                              There is nothing wrong with one space after a period. In fact, if you've been brought up in journalistic style, that's the correct way to write your sentences. I've always used only one space because I was a reporter from an early age; I've never had anyone mention it. Anyone that gets fixated on meaningless minutiae like that as a reason for rejecting a script should not be a reader.
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

                              Comment


                              • Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

                                The two spaces "rule" dates you as a writer - it's the old school way typing was taught.

                                The last thing you want to be in Hollywood is thought of as old.
                                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X