• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• versed
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
    You've heard a literary agent specifically say that they are looking for male clients?
    Yes!! Several times, from top lit agents.

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

I don't think it matters necessarily, I just thought the ratio was interesting. Accordingly, women don't proportionally fare better or worse in the Nicholl finals -- as usually at least one fellow is a woman.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    it has been only relatively recently - within the past 20 years - that technologic advances like computers, screenwriting software, and the internet opened up the screenwriting industry to a wider group of potential writers. shifting from an almost exclusively (white) male profession to more a diverse composition simply takes time.
    According to Greg, the ratio hasn't changed much.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Well, this was eye opening....

Finally, I got one blessedly telling explanation from an industry pro: "The audience doesn't want to listen to a bunch of women talking about whatever it is women talk about.-

"Not even if it advances the story?- I asked. That's rule number one in screenwriting, though you'd never know it from watching most movies: every moment in a script should reveal another chunk of the story and keep it moving.

He just looked embarrassed and said, "I mean, that's not how I see it, that's how they see it.-

According to Hollywood, if two women came on screen and started talking, the target male audience's brain would glaze over and assume the women were talking about nail polish or shoes or something that didn't pertain to the story. Only if they heard the name of a man in the story would they tune back in. By having women talk to each other about something other than men, I was "losing the audience.-

http://thehathorlegacy.com/why-film-...-bechdel-test/

Maybe women-written scripts get rejected more than say women-written novels (70% of novels are bought by women), and women screenwriters, facing a high percentage of rejection, give up, and therefore don't pursue it as a career, and therefore don't enter contests in large numbers.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks

• JoeBanks
    replied

it has been only relatively recently - within the past 20 years - that technologic advances like computers, screenwriting software, and the internet opened up the screenwriting industry to a wider group of potential writers. shifting from an almost exclusively (white) male profession to more a diverse composition simply takes time.

Leave a comment:

• CthulhuRises

• CthulhuRises
    replied

Originally posted by versed View Post
    I think it's a fair question, though. Literary agents are ALWAYS looking for more men to add to their lists - I've heard this again and again on twitter and blogs from some of the top agents in the industry. The publishing world definitely seems female-dominated these days - maybe that's not reflected in the statistics, but I've always felt that being a guy would have been a real advantage in securing a literary agent.

In screenwriting, it's a totally different story. And I'm not really sure why.

You've heard a literary agent specifically say that they are looking for male clients?

Leave a comment:

• versed
    replied

I think it's a fair question, though. Literary agents are ALWAYS looking for more men to add to their lists - I've heard this again and again on twitter and blogs from some of the top agents in the industry. The publishing world definitely seems female-dominated these days - maybe that's not reflected in the statistics, but I've always felt that being a guy would have been a real advantage in securing a literary agent.

In screenwriting, it's a totally different story. And I'm not really sure why.

Leave a comment:

• CthulhuRises

• CthulhuRises
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    It's a significant gender disparity, and as part of the minority, I have a right to question it.
    Sure you do. And I have a right to refute your reasoning. I don't think it has anything to do with men being "more visual" and women "more verbose." It's not as though there's a greater female than male proportion of writers in other mediums...

http://www.salon.com/2011/02/09/wome...ry_publishing/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michel...b_1409008.html

http://polisci.osu.edu/conferences/v...AGenderGap.pdf

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
    What are you questioning? That more men than women enter a competition that's open to anybody?
    Why don't more women enter? It has to with why don't more women write screenplays? That's what I'm questioning.

I'm sure the percentage of entries written by women reflects the percentage of women writing screenplays....

Women are 51% of the population, yet only 30% of the screenwriting population.

Why is that?

Leave a comment:

• Colin Holmes
    Regular

• Colin Holmes
    replied

It's a significant gender disparity, and as part of the minority, I have a right to question it.
    What are you questioning? That more men than women enter a competition that's open to anybody?

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
    I think you're looking too much into things...

Leave a comment:

• CthulhuRises

• CthulhuRises
    replied

Are all the gals writing novels instead? Cause more women buy novels than men? Cause movies cater to young men, and are therefore written by them? Cause men are more visual and can write visually more easily, and women are verbal (too verbose for the Hollywood page limit that novels don't have?) Hmmm...

I think you're looking too much into things...

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    FYI - every year the entry split is around 70-30 male to female. Probably has ranged over the past 20 years between 68-32 and 72-28.
    Are all the gals writing novels instead? Cause more women buy novels than men? Cause movies cater to young men, and are therefore written by them? Cause men are more visual and can write visually more easily, and women are verbal (too verbose for the Hollywood page limit that novels don't have?) Hmmm...

Leave a comment:

• AlexNoa
    Regular

• AlexNoa
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    FYI - every year the entry split is around 70-30 male to female. Probably has ranged over the past 20 years between 68-32 and 72-28.
    Greg, has the number of finalists/fellows selected ever changed since the contest's inception?

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by figment View Post
    Of the 7,197 scripts entered...

2,033 are female writers
    5,164 are males.

I thought it'd tip slightly in favor of male writers but not this much. I wonder what accounts for the difference? That more male-centric movies get made and therefore men may be more interested in it as a career?

Or... does it mean nothing.

http://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships

Leave a comment:

Working...
X