• Show
Clear All

• figment
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Of the 7,197 scripts entered...

2,033 are female writers
    5,164 are males.

I thought it'd tip slightly in favor of male writers but not this much. I wonder what accounts for the difference? That more male-centric movies get made and therefore men may be more interested in it as a career?

Or... does it mean nothing.

http://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships

Leave a comment:

• sixridgeroad
    Regular

• sixridgeroad
    replied

The readers' comments are a truly hilarious torture -- anyone else foreswearing reading them, and then inexorably, inevitably taking a peak? Like, every day? Ha!

I don't have a problem with their being posted, at all -- it's all in good fun -- but they're clearly (based upon likes/comments on the FB page) getting everyone (like myself) all riled up. Too funny!!!

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the podcast, JoJo. We linked to it on the Nicholl Facebook page.
    YW! And there were good points about while a Nicholl win might not always automatically lead directly to a sale, it does get you in meetings with people who, 2-3 years down the line, remember you and offer you a writing gig that does lead to a sale... a Nicholl win facilitates the building of relationships... and this business is all about relationships.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Quite a nice plug for the Nicholl from former finalists on this podcast (#39) http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist-writers-panel/
    Thanks for pointing out the podcast, JoJo. We linked to it on the Nicholl Facebook page.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Quite a nice plug for the Nicholl from former finalists on this podcast (#39) http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist-writers-panel/

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    My God, 7200 entries. Greg, will there be additional fellowships awarded corresponding to the number of entries?
    Oooh, oooh.. good idea! More fellowships please!

Leave a comment:

• Why One
    replied

A very interesting insight into the distribution of Nicholl entrants.

Top 5:
    1) 2671 - California, USA
    2) 763 - New York, USA
    3) 251 - United Kingdom
    4) 225 - Texas, USA
    5) 213 - Florida, USA

Leave a comment:

• Presto
    replied

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    My God, 7200 entries. Greg, will there be additional fellowships awarded corresponding to the number of entries?
    Probably not. They upped the prize money to 35k per Fellowship. They make a big loss every year, which (I presume) will be bigger this year since everyone gets a minimum two reads now.

Leave a comment:

• AlexNoa
    Regular

• AlexNoa
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    User

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

i love this breakdown. kinda like the Olympics...
    http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/index.html
    CA & NY stacked while countries like Nicaragua has only 1 entry -- the Jamaican bobsled guy

Leave a comment:

• Hilander
    replied

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
    Wow. Good luck to all. Be there next year. http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120516.html
    Bad Link Corrected to here

And my 10-key skills were bang-on!
    So I win the inaugural Tommy Shaw Award Huzzah for me!

Leave a comment:

• WriteByNight

• WriteByNight
    replied

Wow. Good luck to all. Be there next year. http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120516.html

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    None.

No.

Yes (though I hope it's in late July).
    The element of surprise!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Questions for Greg:

How much advance notice will we get when you're ready to send out notifications in the quarter-final round?

Will we know the exact date notifications will go out?

Or will we just get an email "some time late July/early August?"
    None.

No.

Yes (though I hope it's in late July).

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
    Well, just to redress the balance from my comments on the other thread-

Nicholl is an awesome competition. Extremely well run and professional. They always meet deadlines (unlike some others I can mention) and they respond to emails promptly. Plus having a presence on DD is always a good thing.

I liked that, before they converted to PDF, I seem to remember they tested out the system of entering PDFs on foreigners like myself who would otherwise have had to cough up bucks for brads and postage and the like. That was the first time I entered.

I liked that, for the first time a few years ago, their placement emails also included PS. You were top 10% or PS. You were in the 100 outside of the QF. That was a neat touch and left a contestant feeling not so cast out in the cold.

I respect that, of the finalist scripts I've read, they've all been top quality which means their judging procedure is right on the money.

And of course, aside from all this, it's one of the cheapest to enter compared to prize level/amount and level of exposure you'll get to important players.

But we all already know this on DD. As I say, Just wanted to redress the balance.
    Thanks.

BTW, we included handwritten PS notes on regret letters in 1989 and ever since. The first year we moved to email notifications we couldn't add the PS notes in a timely fashion and so sent separate emails to everyone slated to receive a PS note.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X