• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoJo
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Questions for Greg:

How much advance notice will we get when you're ready to send out notifications in the quarter-final round?

Will we know the exact date notifications will go out?

Or will we just get an email "some time late July/early August?"

Leave a comment:

• Hilander
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post

And now I'm gonna have that sing playing in my head....
    My bad, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Somers

• Mark Somers
    replied

I could have sworn it was nary.

Leave a comment:

• Harbinger

• Harbinger
    replied

Well, just to redress the balance from my comments on the other thread-

Nicholl is an awesome competition. Extremely well run and professional. They always meet deadlines (unlike some others I can mention) and they respond to emails promptly. Plus having a presence on DD is always a good thing.

I liked that, before they converted to PDF, I seem to remember they tested out the system of entering PDFs on foreigners like myself who would otherwise have had to cough up bucks for brads and postage and the like. That was the first time I entered.

I liked that, for the first time a few years ago, their placement emails also included PS. You were top 10% or PS. You were in the 100 outside of the QF. That was a neat touch and left a contestant feeling not so cast out in the cold.

I respect that, of the finalist scripts I've read, they've all been top quality which means their judging procedure is right on the money.

And of course, aside from all this, it's one of the cheapest to enter compared to prize level/amount and level of exposure you'll get to important players.

But we all already know this on DD. As I say, Just wanted to redress the balance.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
    Thanks Let's call it the Tommy Shaw Award after the guy who wrote & sang this classic.

And now I'm gonna have that sing playing in my head....

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by HRCLPRT View Post
    When I got my confirmation and the number assigned to my entry (submitted 1 hour and 15 minutes from the deadline), I knew Nicholl shattered its 6730 record from last year.

Must be the "innovations" of two guaranteed full reads per entry and the increase of $5000 per fellowship.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire on the other thread but I just want to say that I commend Greg Beal for appropriating good elements from several contests to strengthen Nicholl. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Leave a comment:

• HRCLPRT
    New User

• HRCLPRT
    replied

When I got my confirmation and the number assigned to my entry (submitted 1 hour and 15 minutes from the deadline), I knew Nicholl shattered its 6730 record from last year.

Must be the "innovations" of two guaranteed full reads per entry and the increase of $5000 per fellowship.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire on the other thread but I just want to say that I commend Greg Beal for appropriating good elements from several contests to strengthen Nicholl. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Leave a comment:

• Hilander
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Good job - there should be a prize for someone who guesses - or comes the closest to guessing - the number of entries...
    Thanks Let's call it the Tommy Shaw Award after the guy who wrote & sang this classic.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
    If I did the math properly on my 10-key while looking at the scrolling feed of the 66 countries, there are -give or take a couple - 7,197 entries this year.

Good luck to all!
    Good job - there should be a prize for someone who guesses - or comes the closest to guessing - the number of entries...

Leave a comment:

• Hilander
    replied

If I did the math properly on my 10-key while looking at the scrolling feed of the 66 countries, there are -give or take a couple - 7,197 entries this year.

Good luck to all!

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    Greg, is the percentage of fellows and finalists who acquire agents/managers off their placements tracked? Obviously there will be many qfs and sfs that won't be included in this stat.
    Nope, we haven't tracked it. Nor do we track sales or options. Long ago, I realized I couldn't keep up with sales, options, etc. and couldn't be sure what was real and what wasn't quite as real. We do track produced films and television series creation and staffing.

Since it's available to the public, I have looked at the WGA membership database, which also includes reps. That resource doesn't seem to be entirely up to date but I have used it to draw some comparisons in the past.

Plus, it's hard to know how exactly a sale or rep attained occurred. Was it a direct result of a Nicholl placement or a combination of factors? If the latter, would it count as being the result of a Nicholl placement?

For instance, I would certainly count the sales of Arlington Road and Finding Forrester as a direct result of their Nicholl status. Since Armored sold after Jay Simpson was named a Nicholl finalist, was that the central reason or were other factors equally important? Becomes tough to know exactly how something came to pass.

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied
    Re: Reader Comments

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    That's not something we watch for one way or another. Since a number of entrants have had two semifinal scripts and even two scripts in the top 30, it would be possible. I don't think it has happened but I don't know absolutely.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Reader Comments

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    Mr. Beal,

I have another silly question. Some writers submit two or three scripts. Does any writer get more than one comment posted in a given year, (assuming the comments don't come from the same script).

Thanks.
    That's not something we watch for one way or another. Since a number of entrants have had two semifinal scripts and even two scripts in the top 30, it would be possible. I don't think it has happened but I don't know absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• AlexNoa
    Regular

• AlexNoa
    replied

Greg, is the percentage of fellows and finalists who acquire agents/managers off their placements tracked? Obviously there will be many qfs and sfs that won't be included in this stat.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    User

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

since so many of you know when you're asking a "silly" question... why would you? why would you put yourself out like that?!!!

i know 2 + 2 = 4, but can it sometimes be 5?
    -- at the very least, this one has some weight to it.

SPOILER ALERT!

Two plus two equals five" ("2 + 2 = 5") is a slogan used in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X