No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    As distinct from contests that offer more than $5000 (such as Page, etc.) but which are NOT production companies.
    . . . and don't "include a 'first look' clause, an option or any other quid pro quo involving the writer's work."

Contest entities that attach themselves to a winning writer's script would also cause a writer to become ineligible.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
      greg -- what does the fellowship include beside financial support? mentorship? or anything like that?
      For fellows and finalists:

Trip to Los Angeles for those not in LA.
      Hotel and per diem for seven days for those not in LA.
      Seminars with industry folks.
      Lunch seminar with several past Nicholl fellows.
      Lunch with Nicholl Committee.
      Awards Dinner.

For fellows during fellowship year:

Alumni Dinner with past fellows.
      Informal mentorship with Nicholl committee member.
      Monthly fellows lunches in Los Angeles.
      Nomination screening pass if in Los Angeles.
      Membership screening pass if in Los Angeles.
      Invitation to following year Awards Dinner.
      Staff reading of fellowship year script(s) (and notes, if desired).
      Invitation to annual Alumni Dinners.

Comment

Stunning... Thanks Greg.

Comment

Greg

How much of that list would apply to finalists/winners from countries other than the US? Would you pay airfares from abroad to attend the first week in LA?

Also, how much of it is compulsory/expected? I'm guessing the items on the second list are entirely optional and at the fellow's own expense - monthly dinners in LA could become tiresome for a fellow living in the highlands of Scotland or Cape Town!

Comment

Very exciting! Uploaded two scripts today (and desperately trying to get a third finished before the deadline).

Just a word of warning (Greg may wish to correct me on this): as far as I could tell, you can't review your attached script after uploading (or check the filename), so make sure you pick the right attachment/draft!

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
              Greg

How much of that list would apply to finalists/winners from countries other than the US? Would you pay airfares from abroad to attend the first week in LA?

Also, how much of it is compulsory/expected? I'm guessing the items on the second list are entirely optional and at the fellow's own expense - monthly dinners in LA could become tiresome for a fellow living in the highlands of Scotland or Cape Town!
              Yes, we fly fellows and finalists in from wherever they live.

Nothing is compulsory for finalists or fellows - except writing a script during the fellowship year for fellows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                Just a word of warning (Greg may wish to correct me on this): as far as I could tell, you can't review your attached script after uploading (or check the filename), so make sure you pick the right attachment/draft!
                It's true you can't check the uploaded file after uploading, but you can upload your script as many times as you want prior to paying the entry fee.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                  It's true you can't check the uploaded file after uploading, but you can upload your script as many times as you want prior to paying the entry fee.
                  Greg, will we be notified if our script was uploaded ok? Or if it wasn't?
                  "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                    Greg, will we be notified if our script was uploaded ok? Or if it wasn't?
                    After the upload your script, the program notifies you automatically that it was uploaded sucessfully prior to your being able to move on to the payment page. If you selected the correct PDF file, all is well.

Yes, we do notify entrants when they submit only a title page or some other problematic version of a screenplay.

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                      Greg

Yes, we fly fellows and finalists in from wherever they live.
                      I'll certainly vouch for and reiterate Greg's response regarding int'l locations. When I was a finalist, I was living in New Zealand at the time. Arrangements would have been made to fly to and from Auckland, but as it turned out, I was in the midst of moving to Seattle, so by the time of Nicholl week in November, it became something of a moot point since I had already moved to Seattle by then.

Comment

Greg, good to know about the file upload - thanks!

Here's another question: What percentage of entries are received between the opening date and the early deadline, and what percentage are received after the early deadline?

Do more enter early or enter late?
                        "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                          Do more enter early or enter late?
                          Late - as in the last several days. Usually about half the entries arrive in the last week or so.

Comment

The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.
                            Maybe it's just my eyesight. But if not, then FYI: At the Nicholl site, I found this:
                            Q: What do I need to do to enter the competition?

A: You need to submit an original feature film screenplay in PDF format, a completed online application form and, depending upon when you enter, either a US$35 or US$52 entry fee.

Q: When are the application forms available?

A: The online application typically becomes available in late January. The application period traditionally closes on May 1.

Q: When is the entry deadline?

A: In 2012, it is 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 1. The online application form will be shut down at that time.
                            But, I did not find any mention of March 15 as an/the early deadline.

Suggestion: Augment that last Q&A to show both deadlines and their respective fees (yes, even though the fees are mentioned above).

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the mssing information in the FAQs. The early deadline changed, which may be the reason the date isn't there.

From the Nicholl "About" page:

Early bird entry fee of US$35 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 15) or regular deadline entry fee of US$52 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1)

We'll see about adding the information to the FAQs as well.

Comment

From the Nicholl "About" page:

Early bird entry fee of US$35 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 15) or regular deadline entry fee of US$52 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1)

We'll see about adding the information to the FAQs as well.
                                Yeh, that's one place I didn't think to look. I checked the Rules/How To page, the FAQ, and the pdf doc with the rules. You might also consider adding that info to the pdf.

Comment

Working...
                                X