• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-jay
    replied
    Re: Reader Comments

Mr. Beal,

I have another silly question. Some writers submit two or three scripts. Does any writer get more than one comment posted in a given year, (assuming the comments don't come from the same script).

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
    Mr. Beal,

A couple of silly questions.

I know there are a good number of scripts eligible to have a reader comment posted, and that you can't post a comment from even a tenth of those reads, but do you ever post more than one comment about a script?

And if you had posted a comment about the script of a finalist/winner, do you tell them? Not who said it, just that that specific comment referred to their script?

Thanks
    Nope and nope (at least not that I remember, nor do I remember anyone asking).

Leave a comment:

• Hilander
    replied

Mr. Beal,

A couple of silly questions.

I know there are a good number of scripts eligible to have a reader comment posted, and that you can't post a comment from even a tenth of those reads, but do you ever post more than one comment about a script?

And if you had posted a comment about the script of a finalist/winner, do you tell them? Not who said it, just that that specific comment referred to their script?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jtwg50
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

I entered a zombie romcom that I'm feeling really good about. That, I think, is the ultimate genre mashup for a discerning readership. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• froonly
    replied

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
    To use the freeware PDF utilities - such as "Primo PDF" per Comic Bent's recommendation - you use the print command. That in turn activates the utility, embeds the fonts (including those whacky cover page ones the agent round-table says you shouldn't use ) and produces the PDF.

For as long as it's been out - Final Draft is pretty weak in the font selection and thereby font embedding aspects. Maybe they'll catch up to Movie Magic in their FD 9 release -- along with the version tracking / outline features so appealing with MM.
    Except that Primo does work with a pdf *file*.

Leave a comment:

• Unfinishe
    replied

Greg,

Not sure if someone's mentioned this already, but since each script will receive at least two reads, I'll be curious to learn how many quarter-finalists or above, if any, had a negative read in the first round.

Leave a comment:

• YakMan
    replied

Originally posted by froonly View Post
    Unfinishe

don't print.
    use Save as PDF.
    To use the freeware PDF utilities - such as "Primo PDF" per Comic Bent's recommendation - you use the print command. That in turn activates the utility, embeds the fonts (including those whacky cover page ones the agent round-table says you shouldn't use ) and produces the PDF.

For as long as it's been out - Final Draft is pretty weak in the font selection and thereby font embedding aspects. Maybe they'll catch up to Movie Magic in their FD 9 release -- along with the version tracking / outline features so appealing with MM.

Leave a comment:

• froonly
    replied

Unfinishe

don't print.
    use Save as PDF.

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

Glad to help. Good luck in the contest!

Leave a comment:

• Unfinishe
    replied

Eh...HOW...did this happen? I called-in at 340KB tops. Did you submit a - scanned - pdf with color photos??? Curious...?
    No.

When I "print" a PDF, final draft gives me an "invalid printer" error. I had downloaded Simpo PDF Creator lite which generates the 2.5 MB files.

I had tried other programs, but this was the only one that worked. Off Rhodi's comment, I downloaded CutePDF, which made a 300kb file. I'm happy see my bitching here was not completely pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Anagram
    replied

Holy shitballs, I almost screwed up.

I'm in a different time zone, and I'm still not sure how I miscalculated.

I was just leisurely doing a last spell check, logged onto the Nicholl page NINE MINUTES LEFT!!

I've never had any internet purchase go smoothly so I figured I was screwed, it was over, better luck next year.

I sweated two pounds off in six minutes, almost broke my keyboard, spent an insane thirty seconds looking for my wallet, tripped over the %#!&* chair and somehow got it through.

Now it's time to break out the snapple.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Eh...HOW...did this happen? I called-in at 340KB tops. Did you submit a - scanned - pdf with color photos??? Curious...?
    Final Draft 7.0 has a known glitch - it creates immense PDF files.

Upgrading to 7.1+ or adding Cute or 995 or Primo solves the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

My theory is that he scanned with a photocopier.

Unfinishe - there are free programs (CutePDF, PDFCreator) that can convert your fdr into a pdf. Typical size is around 250kb.

Well, we're down to the last 10 minutes. Best of luck to all fellow DDers who entered this year!

Leave a comment:

• YakMan
    replied

Originally posted by Unfinishe View Post
    Kind of ****ed me over with the 1MB limit. Really? 2.5 is way, way too big?

Leave a comment:

• Unfinishe
    replied

Kind of ****ed me over with the 1MB limit. Really? 2.5 is way, way too big?

I won't go into details but Final Draft has been really evil on my new, printerless machine, so I had to impose upon others, which sucked. Got it in though -- please, hold your applause.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X