TrackingB TV Pilot Contest results posted...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TrackingB TV Pilot Contest results posted...

When we say 'the ends justifies the means', we're not talking about Nazi concentration camps, or killing other screenwriters so that the Insider only has one script to read.

This is a contest, and one that has resulted in people getting repped and/or possibly produced (I think there were a couple of scripts that had some heat to 'em). That is all that matters when talking about screenwriting. No one cares how much money a wannabe screenwriter spent, or how many years it took to write the genius script...all that matters is the product. And, quite frankly, the writer/originator of that product is even expendable, to a certain extent.

I also don't understand this reluctance to enter a contest (whether TrackingB or another) that also takes submissions from repped writers. THAT'S the competition: Other repped/better writers. Talk about having a gauge of where one is as a writer...

Anyway, at the end of the day, and justifying my means, and bottomline: enter or not. I think TrackingB results speak for themselves, but if lack of transparency bothers some, there's other contests out there.

By the way, this fascination with contests is a little goofy, I think. Contests are not the only way to break in, and, it could be argued, contests are the least likely way to break in (talking percentages here).

HH

Comment

When we say 'the ends justifies the means', we're not talking about Nazi concentration camps, or killing other screenwriters so that the Insider only has one script to read.

This is a contest, and one that has resulted in people getting repped and/or possibly produced (I think there were a couple of scripts that had some heat to 'em). That is all that matters when talking about screenwriting. No one cares how much money a wannabe screenwriter spent, or how many years it took to write the genius script...all that matters is the product. And, quite frankly, the writer/originator of that product is even expendable, to a certain extent.

I also don't understand this reluctance to enter a contest (whether TrackingB or another) that also takes submissions from repped writers. THAT'S the competition: Other repped/better writers. Talk about having a gauge of where one is as a writer...<<<

What are you, a twenty two year old serial killer?

Yeah, I love the whole argument from people complaining about going up against people who are repped or have made some money because it's not a level playing field. WTF? Life isn't a level playing field.

Maybe there should be a contest for shitty, mediocre scripts by amateurs, so that someone with no talent could still be declared a "winner." Hmm. Five hundred dollar entry, and you are guaranteed a 250.00 "Honorable Mention." award. Once we hit a thousand entries, it triggers a grand prize; three nights at the Figueroa Hotel, lunch with a Hollywood Manager or Agent (for an honorarium of 5k) a free copy of FD and a 10k prize for "Absolute best script that can't compete with professional material."

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post

Every legit contest has transparency. TB does not.

That's NOT a good thing.

Yes, every legit contest has differences from one another, but - hello - none of them are run by some anonymous person who's determined to hide their identity.
        Transparency, transparency, transparency. how are you defining transparency? Every 'legit' contest does not have transparency. None of them do. If you don't like anonymous people asking for your money, don't give it to them. How simple is that? Apparently many other people don't mind and you can't control whether those other people want to hand over their money.

I can't think of a single Contest, Agency, Management firm, producer, or studio that operates with transparency. It's not the nature of Hollywood nor washington d.c. Sure people throw the word around, but let's be realistic, any company operating in hollywood with total transparency puts itself at a disadvantage.

Back when I used to enter Nicholl(so-called legit contest), I would have loved to know exactly who the readers were who read my script and if they read every page. There's just no way to know this. that's not transparency, but I can understand why that information is kept secret. did I like it, no. but it's a risk one must determine if its worth taking.

there is no true transparency in hollywood, it just doesn't work that way. if that is what you're looking for, you will be disappointed by contests, agencies and studios if you are lucky to get that far.

Maybe try and focus on the things you can control. even if you are right, careful steps have been taken so that you would have no evidence and no way of proving it. that is something to keep in mind when choosing who to send your money to next time.

Every time you send a query, you're entering a writing contest and you don't know who else is entering and to think someone should tell you that information as a matter of transparency is not realistic.

if you don't like the way TB is run, then you can simply give them a bad rating or review and then move on. if you're serious about a career, there are a lot more contests you should be entering (querying, networking, making connections).

If you demand total transparency from the people you deal with in hollywood, then probably this is not the industry for you, nor is politics and countless other industries where every single thing is not disclosed for business purposes. Is it totally honest, no, but neither is most business.

transparency is an unrealistic goal. you're bigger than this. let's keep it moving and put TB on your do not enter list.

Oh and from now on, all aspiring screenwriters should only enter contests as their only means for breaking in. That way, my query will be the only one floating around the industry.

Comment

If he wasn't doing something shady, then he wouldn't hide his identity.<<

There you go again, "Jo-Jo." Stop lying and making false claims.

Comment

His identity is hidden to you but not to the agents and managers who sign many of the finalists and winners...If you don't like the contest don't participate

Enter one of the more legitimate contests with identifiable organizers that really help to advance winners careers like Page and Scriptapalooza,

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo
              I REPEAT: this isn't able me entering or not, it's about people who come to DD looking for contest info so they can make an informed decision about which contest to invest in.
              I think most newcomers to just about any thread on this site are probably long gone by now. Kinda like not sticking around to watch a couple or family argue amongst themselves. "Ahh, look at the time. I think we'll be going now . . ."

On the other hand, I guess this is like reading restaurant reviews on an online foodie site. Some love the place and the food. Some hate it. Always challenging to synthesize what's most useful in order to make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                His identity is hidden to you but not to the agents and managers who sign many of the finalists and winners...If you don't like the contest don't participate

Enter one of the more legitimate contests with identifiable organizers that really help to advance winners careers like Page and Scriptapalooza,
                Exactly. I trust that Esola, Kurian, Mills, Fischer, etc., etc., who are all top notch reps and executives wouldn't be dumb enough to work with TrackingB if they didn't feel completely comfortable with the way it's run.
                Last edited by Geoff Alexander; 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The thing that baffles me is how people can see this as an either / or situtation.

I've had personal contact with The Insider. Oh my lord, I even know his first name.

I think the guy's heart and motives are absolutely in the right place. And he clearly has major industry contacts.

Do I think the contest could use more transparency? Um, that would be a hell yeah. I think he should majorly seriously consider it.

Does that mean it's not legitimate? Hell no.

But yeah, purely in terms of the way a contest is run, there is absolutely no *contest* between the Nicholl and Trackingb. Duh. I'm surprised this is even an issue.

Comment

Apparently I got to this party very late. I just spent the last few minutes taking out a variety of posts. I won't even begin to go into how unhappy finding some of the comments I saw posted made me. But I will put out the reminder that some of you need to very quickly learn how and when to make your point and get out of a thread fast.

We've asked all of you time and time again to simply, fairly, etc. express your opinion in a calm, rational, non-confrontational, non-libelous, etc. way but for some odd reason that didn't seem to sink in. We've also asked people not to beat a dead horse or argue & rant endlessly, but yet here some of you are doing just that.

We love for people to discuss and help each other, that's why the forums are here. But please be respectful of and civil with not only one another but even in many ways the subjects you discuss especially if you don't know everything about them or haven't done some massive investigation. Even then be cool and don't make it an ugly conversation. Please.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                      Do you have proof that they are showing preference to entries from writers that they already know or that they know people that rep these folks?

Here are the finalists from last year. I don't think a single one was repped. And, btw, look at the loglines, most of them are far from obvious high concept. In fact, a couple had major inherent obstacles to being marketable.

HOW MY WEDDING DRESS GOT THIS DIRTY by Emily Blake . When her old gang of thieves shows up two hours before the wedding to demand an artifact she stole from them, a con-artist bride must escape her captors, rescue her groom, and convince him she’s still the one in time to make it down the aisle – all while trying to protect her dress. (JUST SIGNED BY KEN FREIMANN AT CIRCLE OF CONFUSION AND AVA JAMSHIDI AT ICM!)

THE SELLOUT by Daniel Lee. A comedy about a married, suburban father, 39 years old, who gets a visit close to his birthday from an old friend, reminding him of a pact they made as teenagers: if either of them turns 40 and has become a boring sellout, the other one must kill him. He has one week to prove his life is exciting before his friend fulfills his end of the bargain. (JUST SIGNED BY DAVID BOXERBAUM AT PARADIGM AND ADLER & GOLDBERG AT NEW WAVE ENTERTAINMENT!)

A COUNTRY OF STRANGERS by Sean Armstrong. Based on true events… follows Inspector Geoff Harper during his forty year search for the Beaumont Children, three siblings taken from an Australian Beach in January of 1966. (JUST SIGNED BY SUSAN SOLOMON & PETER DEALBERT AT PRINCIPATO-YOUNG ENTERTAINMENT!)
                      HONORABLE MENTIONS:

RED SKY INSTITUTION by Breanne Mattson – After years of wrongful imprisonment and torture, a man unleashes a plan for revenge that will bring the entire world to its knees. Contact: breanne(at)kwvtsalem.com

NINE TWELVE by Ed Ruggiero – A man embarks on a relationship with a 9/11 widow after claiming to have lost his brother in the attacks. Contact: edruggi(at)comcast.net

MORT ON MY SIDE by Barbara Rubenow – An eccentric father and his adopted daughter drive from Ohio to New York in search of her biological mother, all while attempting to evade her abusive boyfriend, who eventually catches up to them. Contact: brubenow(at)yahoo.com

SURVIVORS by Jordan Engle & Oren Goldman – A gang of tormented young Jewish black-marketers in post-war 1945 Europe has to decide the reason why THEY survived; to dishonorably build material wealth or to join the battle for the future of their decimated people. Contact: jordanrengle(at)gmail.com

PAY-OFF by Chris Ryden – A hostage stand-off that goes from bad to worse when the gang discover the bank they’re trapped in is wired with a bomb… (JUST SIGNED BY JOSH GOLDENBERG AT KAPLAN/PERRONE ENTERTAINMENT)!**
                      In regards to concept, i respectfully disagree... But then again I'm biased

Comment

Working...
                      X