Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Congrats to everyone who advanced! My previous QF script didn't advance this year -- luck of the draw I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
      Thanks!

Greg already did the breakdown on FB:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-ni...50973190326452
      True. But what I mean is more statistical. With only two votes, it could be that the difference between categories might be no more than 1.5%! My guess is that the cumulative distribution would be classic "S-Curve".

Comment

I got double-dinged. The one I was pretty sure would be dinged got a top 20% note. (Like others here I have no idea how that differs from "got two positive reads" note.)

The one that got dinged and no note made the Page and Scriptapalooza qf's this year and was a Nicholl qfinalist a long time ago. (I took it out of mothballs this past March, hated a lot, loved a lot, and did a pass that I thought made it stronger and clearer.)

This year's placement on script #2 has served to anaesthetize (sp?) yesterday's dingage, and makes me feel like the the whole like vs. not like is kinda crap-shooty. Hard not to, given the results.

That is in no way to take away the AWESOME news for the folks who advanced. I am seriously *crazy* happy for you -- so good to "see" people so happy and gratified!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a horse I need to get back on to.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
          It's no big deal. The main reason I entered was to give myself an edge at getting repped, getting meetings, etc. Since those things have happened / are happening, it's not much of a blow.

I know people who've sold scripts that didn't make the Nicholl QF, and furthermore, Nicholl fully admits to this. The way the reading for the contest is set up -- necessary, because of how many entries they get -- there are going to be successful scripts that don't make their cut.

I think that if things weren't already moving forward for me, I would have been pretty bummed by this news. So hopefully some of the people that didn't make it this time around will take the above anecdotes as encouragement.
          very cool of you to say so, Knaight. And congrats on the repping. Can't say that I'm surprised.

Comment

Congratulations to all those that advanced - I need only to refer back to yesterday's daydreams to know how happy you all are

The slow burn hard sci-fi I cowrote got only a '2 positive reads.' This fall-at-the-first-hurdle has definitely fed my enthusiasm to put in my recent stuff next time, though. Nicholl 2012 was the first feature script competition I've entered; it shan't be my last. Consider my appetite whetted.

Well done to Greg et al for all their hard work - was impressed with how much care that seemed to go into the contest. Money well spent (assuming our script is that bad, of course

Good luck in the next round, people. Onward and upward to all!

Comment

Congrats to all the QFers.

Comment

I entered one script and it didn't make it, but go a note at the bottom that it was in the top 10%. I was a SF two years ago and it opened a lot of doors. (Reps and interest, but no sales yet.)

Congratulations to everyone who moved forward. Make the most of it!

Comment

Got the "two positive reads." for my political drama, better luck next time. Congrats to all the winners!

Comment

Congrats to the QFers.

I got 2 positive reads on a script that was sent out pre title change and pre notes (which meant it still had an odd fish scene and a group hug).... and the the biggest ding of all... is a western!

So two positive reads.

I'll call that a win

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic1 View Post
                      I'm in. Made it to the semis last year. Different script this year. Congrats to those who made it in and for those who didn't, all contests are subjective.
                      Absolutely. To give you an idea just how subjective, I entered the same three scripts in both Page and Nicholl this year. The 2 scripts that advanced to the Page QFs were knocked out in the Nicholl. The 1 script that advanced in the Nicholl QFs was knocked out in the Page.

But I guess the point has already been made earlier in the thread, you can't control who reads your scripts but you can definitely control the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                        To give you an idea just how subjective, I entered the same three scripts in both Page and Nicholl this year. The 2 scripts that advanced to the Page QFs were knocked out in the Nicholl. The 1 script that advanced in the Nicholl QFs was knocked out in the Page.
                        That should be a sticky at the top of the Contests section.

Comment

Congratulations to all who advanced in the Nicholl!
                          I didn't enter, but it's nice to see writer's being rewarded for their hard work. Even if you didn't advance, this can only mean that you got something to work on for next years contest, which you will, no doubt, advance! Right? Stay positive!

Best and good luck!

Comment

0 for 3 this year in the Nicholl. But one script got a "two positive reads" comment. Oh, well.

Best of luck to everyone that made the cut. Good job.

Let us know if you get any script requests from this contest.

Comment

So far, the following DDers have made the QFs:

1. JoJo (first and foremost )(also a PAGE QF)
                              2. Brice
                              3. P-jay
                              4. Mikewrites (with his first script! )
                              5. JoeCollins (also a PAGE QF)
                              6. DerringerHenry (also a PAGE QF)
                              7. Presto
                              8. Seh
                              9. Rjb (also a PAGE QF)
                              10. Rhodi
                              11. Figment
                              12. Ewbet (also a PAGE QF)
                              13. Celtic1
                              14. EJ Pennypacker
                              15. McNamara
                              16. Porkaccino
                              17. Tony Chassion III
                              18. Shaken_Vesper
                              Here's the updated list of the Amazing 18!
                              Last edited by JoJo; 08-02-2012, 10:25 PM.
                              "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Here's the updated list of the lucky (and skilled!) 13.
                                No. Let's not dismiss the movers as "lucky". It sounds too bitter.

Am I bitter? Of course I'm bitter, lol.

But bitter is one letter away from better.

That's my goal now. Change the I to an E.

Comment

Working...
                                X