Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    So far, the following DDers have made the QFs:

1. JoJo (first and foremost )(also a PAGE QF)
    2. Brice
    3. P-jay
    4. Mikewrites (with his first script! )
    5. JoeCollins (also a PAGE QF)
    6. DerringerHenry (also a PAGE QF)
    7. Presto
    8. Seh
    9. Rjb (also a PAGE QF)
    10. Rhodi
    11. Figment
    12. Ewbet (also a PAGE QF)
    13. Celtic1
    14. EJ Pennypacker
    15. McNamara
    16. Porkaccino
    17. Tony Chassion III
    18. Shaken_Vesper
    Just thought I'd bump up the list of the Amazing 18. A few more weeks and we'll see how many of us made the Austin QFs.
    Last edited by JoJo; 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM.
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

On the question of read requests, the actual full list of those who made the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals does not actually go out to the industry until after it's all over. Then the read requests come in, based on how far down the list (to the quarters?) a particular agent, manager, studio, prodco or producer will go.
      I've talked to a semifinalist from last year and in his experience (and from what he's heard anecdotally), the number of requests for semifinalists over quarterfinalists is about two to one, and then it doubles again for the finalists -- all coming "after the fact."
      The good news is that you can query NOW based on being a Nicholl quarterfinalist and that will generate some reads. But to others, that will mean nothing. Then if you make the semis, you can start all over again -- with a little more success assured.
      Congrats to all the DD'ers who made the cut!

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
        On the question of read requests, the actual full list of those who made the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals does not actually go out to the industry until after it's all over. Then the read requests come in, based on how far down the list (to the quarters?) a particular agent, manager, studio, prodco or producer will go.
        I've talked to a semifinalist from last year and in his experience (and from what he's heard anecdotally), the number of requests for semifinalists over quarterfinalists is about two to one, and then it doubles again for the finalists -- all coming "after the fact."
        The good news is that you can query NOW based on being a Nicholl quarterfinalist and that will generate some reads. But to others, that will mean nothing. Then if you make the semis, you can start all over again -- with a little more success assured.
        Congrats to all the DD'ers who made the cut!
        Thanks for weighing in. Been debating about querying now or holding off. I think I'll wait to see if I make the semis to query. Yes, I know that list won't go out till October - it's all just a matter of passively waiting for Hollywood to come to us, or being pro-active and going after those reps/prodcos.... decisions, decisions.

PAGE semi finalists announcement is only a couple of weeks away...
        "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Thanks for weighing in. Been debating about querying now or holding off. I think I'll wait to see if I make the semis to query. Yes, I know that list won't go out till October - it's all just a matter of passively waiting for Hollywood to come to us, or being pro-active and going after those reps/prodcos.... decisions, decisions.

PAGE semi finalists announcement is only a couple of weeks away...
          IMO, people should start querying now. At this point, you still have the potential of being Nicholl winners, in a few months, most won't, and it will just be a "QF".

For those DDers that have made QF, I'd love to read loglines, please feel free to PM me if you have any interest.

Geoff

6-17 Management and Productions
          Last edited by Geoff Alexander; 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Here's a question for SBScript or really anyone who would care to weigh in.

I believe my QF script is strong enough to show people as a writing sample that displays elements of my voice...*however* it is a comedy whereas I don't normally write comedy (this was my first and to date only one). So if I do get read requests off this script, what is the proper way to go about dealing with this? Should I bring it up initially or even try to suggest they read something that is more indicative of my preferred genres? Or just send the QF script with no addendum and wait to mention it until later if necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
              Here's a question for SBScript or really anyone who would care to weigh in.

I believe my QF script is strong enough to show people as a writing sample that displays elements of my voice...*however* it is a comedy whereas I don't normally write comedy (this was my first and to date only one). So if I do get read requests off this script, what is the proper way to go about dealing with this? Should I bring it up initially or even try to suggest they read something that is more indicative of my preferred genres? Or just send the QF script with no addendum and wait to mention it until later if necessary?
              Do you enjoy writing comedy, do you want to write comedy in the future? If the answer is yes, then I don't think you need to worry about it, but expect that, if people like the script but don't want to pursue it, they will ask for additional comedy material. If you say "that's the first comedy I've written, I typically write X", they may want to see that other genre from you, they may not.

But, if you intend to write more comedy, then I can't see a downside to showing people the script.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                Do you enjoy writing comedy, do you want to write comedy in the future? If the answer is yes, then I don't think you need to worry about it, but expect that, if people like the script but don't want to pursue it, they will ask for additional comedy material. If you say "that's the first comedy I've written, I typically write X", they may want to see that other genre from you, they may not.

But, if you intend to write more comedy, then I can't see a downside to showing people the script.
                I PM'd you before I saw this, but the short answer is that I would like to write the occasional comedy in the future (in fact I think some of my best ideas are comedies), however there is no way I could do it well on a consistent basis. If -- as I've often heard -- it's best at the early stage to pigeonhole oneself into a particular niche, then I would not choose comedy.

Comment

Thanks!

Lost, can you tell us how being a SF led to reps and interest? Did you get a manager first, then an agent? Were you scouted by more than one rep? How long after becoming a SF did you sign with your rep (s)?
                  I was a Nicholl SF and Austin Finalist (comedy) at the same time. My manager took me on about 3 months after the contests were over. He read the script that placed and loved it, asked me - "What else do you have?" I sent him a second script, then a third script. Then I went down to LA and had met with him in person, and that's when he took me on. It would probably have been quicker had I lived in LA. He got me the agent six months later when I had a TV pilot that was making the rounds and had some interest. (Agent read the TV pilot and two features before taking me on.) My advice is to have a couple of other scripts ready to go when you get interest so they know you're not a one script pony.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                    IMO, people should start querying now. At this point, you still have the potential of being Nicholl winners, in a few months, most won't, and it will just be a "QF".

For those DDers that have made QF, I'd love to read loglines, please feel free to PM me if you have any interest.

Geoff
                    Hey Geoff, on a totally off-topic note, have you ever thought of putting your details/position in a little signature at the bottom of your posts?

I say this because I see you extend a loving DD hand out to a lot of posters, new and old, to read their scripts and I'm not sure they always realize the opportunity in front of them. For instance, the above quoted post could as much read as a rep looking for clients as a newbie looking to steal ideas.

And knowing that you are of course the former, I think it would help those newer posters who aren't aware of the opportunity in front of them to have an idea of just who they're dealing with via a little signature at the bottom of the post.

Just a thought.

ON TOPIC: Congrats to any new QF'ers who have wriggled out of the woodwork since my last congrats post. I think this may be a record.

Comment

• Re: Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Congratulations to all the Quarter Finalists. I slung my 1st script in there just to see what would happen and although I didn't get through I got two positive reads which tells me that I'm headed in the right direction.

Best of luck to everyone, hopefully we have some DD Fellows

Comment

I have one in as well. Good luck everyone!

Comment

Lots of good discussion and advice for the Fab 14 (and everyone else!). Thanks to the more experienced folk for weighing in.

Be sure to check out Michaelb's advice to the Nicholl QFs in the "question for michaelb" thread.

I'll probably test the waters with a few queries next week, see what kind of reception I get - QF or not, it seems to all come down to the logline.

Comment

Originally posted by McNamara View Post
                            I have one in as well. Good luck everyone!
                            Woo-hoo! And then there were 15!!!!

Are you also a PAGE QF, McNamara?

Comment

Nope, only entered Nicholl.
                              Love the team spirit on here. Go DD!

Comment

Originally posted by Berkice View Post
                                Congratulations to all the Quarter Finalists. I slung my 1st script in there just to see what would happen and although I didn't get through I got two positive reads which tells me that I'm headed in the right direction.

Best of luck to everyone, hopefully we have some DD Fellows
                                Only one of the Fundamental 15 made it in with their first script. You got pretty far with your first... keep up the good work!

"DD Fellows"... I like how that sounds...

Comment

Working...
                                X