Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueCat Title Contest: Top Ten Pick?

BlueCat is having a title contest! For prize money!

http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/movie-title-contest/

They listed the titles of the entries received by Aug. 1 and then the contestants send in their top 10 choices (no, we're not able to vote for ourselves) .

Here's my top 10:

Alcohol was Involved
    American Buddha
    B1llion
    Dreg's List
    Silent but Dudley
    Snap-Apple Noir
    Summon Chanted Evening: A Comedy of Terror
    The Troubled Cleft
    The Full Irish
    Tri-Mister

I think Silent but Dudley is a shoe-in. B1llion is clever - one in a billion - get it?

Anybody else want to post their top ten?
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Re: BlueCat Title Contest: Top Ten Pick?

I rather enjoyed these ten, but there were several more that were close as well:

Blood & Steel
    The Destroyer of the World
    Tomb of the Great Khan
    Night of the Dragon's Blood
    Angel In Hell
    Bloodstained Roses
    Dance of the Firebird
    Charnel House
    Curse of Darkness
    A Taste of Revenge

Who knows if any of these repay the "promise of the premise," as they say, but the titles do grab my attention.

(None of these are mine, BTW.)
    Last edited by karsten; 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
      I rather enjoyed these ten, but there were several more that were close as well:

Blood & Steel
      The Destroyer of the World
      Tomb of the Great Khan
      Night of the Dragon's Blood
      Angel In Hell
      Bloodstained Roses
      Dance of the Firebird
      Charnel House
      Curse of Darkness
      A Taste of Revenge

Who knows if any of these repay the "promise of the premise," as they say, but the titles do grab my attention.
      Fun contest... thanks for sharing your list. I did notice quite a few titles had "blood" in it.
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
        Fun contest... thanks for sharing your list. I did notice quite a few titles had "blood" in it.
        Only three on my list, although it's true that among all the selections, there were many blood-related titles to choose from.

I expect that it may be due to the present-day Twilight influence . . .

I love titles that bring together multiple potentially exciting elements. I mean, "The Destroyer of the World" sounds like an eschatological horror fantasy. "Tomb of the Great Khan" sounds like a magnificent H.-Rider-Haggard-like adventure. "Blood and Steel" likely involves knights and all that good stuff. "Night of the Dragon's Blood" is a triple winner, promising a dragon, a battle with same (hence the blood -- and/or possibly a bloodline), and scenes that take place during an atmospheric night-time setting. What's not to like?

But who knows if these scripts have anything to do with what the titles suggest. It would be interesting to see the loglines after the contest ends, and undoubtedly to find many scripts that go in a completely different direction from what one might expect.

BTW, thank you for starting this topic, JoJo, and good luck in this contest.
        Last edited by karsten; 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Only three on my list, although it's true that among all the selections, there were many blood-related titles to choose from.

I expect that it may be the present-day Twilight influence . . .
          My bad. I mean lots of blood titles on the entire list... yes, could be lots of vampire love stories among the entries..

Comment

Wait, where's the full list of titles?

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
              Wait, where's the full list of titles?
              If you entered BlueCat prior to Aug. 1, then you were emailed the full list and were eligible to vote via email (but not for yourself).

Comment

"Night of the Dragon's Blood" is a triple winner, promising a dragon, a battle with same (hence the blood -- and/or possibly a bloodline), and scenes take place during an atmospheric night-time setting. What's not to like?

But who knows if these scripts have anything to do with what the titles suggest. It would be interesting to see the loglines after the contest ends, and undoubtedly to find many scripts that go in a completely different direction from what one might expect.

BTW, thank you for starting this topic, JoJo, and good luck in this contest.
                Yeah, Night of the Dragon Blood almost made my list, but I tended to pick the ones with a clever play on words. I wondered how much consensus there would be with the top ten lists. Yes, it will interesting to see if the title reflects the plot...

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

Comment

Pun titles? Do you ever see those in theaters?

Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post

Jesus.
                    Ratatouille
                    Cop Out
                    Santa Clause
                    Bee Movie
                    Knight and Day
                    Sister Act 2- Back in the Habit
                    Piranha 3DD
                    Over the Hedge
                    Legally Blonde
                    Your Highness
                    Maid in Manhattan
                    Con Air (sort of)
                    James Bond: Octo*****
                    Shaun of the Dead
                    Shaving Ryan's Privates

Ermmmm..... okay I'm out. Other than those, I agree. Not many pun titles.

Comment

Jesus.
                      It's a title contest, not a box-office/commercial potential contest, Craig! Chill!

It's a bit of fun and some prize money, and no doubt a way to get people to enter early.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                        Shaving Ryan's Privates

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                          Ratatouille
                          Cop Out
                          Santa Clause
                          Bee Movie
                          Knight and Day
                          Sister Act 2- Back in the Habit
                          Piranha 3DD
                          Over the Hedge
                          Legally Blonde
                          Your Highness
                          Maid in Manhattan
                          Con Air (sort of)
                          James Bond: Octo*****
                          Shaun of the Dead
                          Shaving Ryan's Privates

For some of those, you're confusing double entendre with punning.

But that aside, those titles are really out of style and cheesy. Knight and Day was particularly egregious.

But whatevs. Not worth arguing over. I just hate stupid contests.

Comment

Knight and Day was particularly egregious.
                            And the title was pretty bad too.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

For some of those, you're confusing double entendre with punning.

But that aside, those titles are really out of style and cheesy. Knight and Day was particularly egregious.

But whatevs. Not worth arguing over. I just hate stupid contests.
                              I was just messin', Craig. To be honest, despite that list, I was still agreeing with you. That was the only titles I could think of (and in some cases IMDB) in the history of cinema. And that was only fourteen titles (Not sure I can in all honesty include the last one). So there actually haven't been that many pun titles in theaters.

I was..... now let's see if I can get this right with a middle-class, south-west of England upbringing.... I was jus' bustin' ya bawls, man. Jus' bustin' ya bawls!

Did I pull that off? I've watched Goodfellas and Jersey Shore and everything!

Comment

Working...
                              X