For Those Attending Austin (or any other conference)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Attending Austin (or any other conference)

If you're one of those people who take joy trolling the pros, wasting our time, just in general being a pain in the ass... Just a hint. We don't think it's a delightful shared experience.

We're not eager to meet you in person and have a conversation about how funny our online fights are. We're not eager to interact with you. We don't want to relive it. It doesn't give us some special bond.

Last year at Austin, a guy who's spent a good portion of his online time accusing me of handing out advice as a way of discouraging the competition, among other crazy theories... A guy who asked for notes, I gave them, and then he complained about them publicly and privately... He comes up to me after one of the panels, shakes my hands, and asks me questions.

You know what? I'm going to Austin to talk to everyone who isn't a dick. That's my goal.

Re: For Those Attending Austin (or any other conference)

Can't wait to meet you, Jeff Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

You know what? I'm going to Austin to talk to everyone who isn't a dick. That's my goal.
      Good to know!
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Never heard of those?

Comment

There do seem to be a bit of those on here... (not you - whoever reads this)
          www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
          http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Out of curiosity - any good meetings that have come from being at a conference and meeting someone you knew online? What's an example of what to do? How do you meet someone you've slightly interacted with online without being a creep?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
              Good to know!
              Actually, your post about cuddling Craig on a couch was one of the things that prompted me to start this thread.

Comment

The internet really does make people think they have a relationship with anyone they've interacted with online. I was at PaleyFest in March and at least once per panel, someone in the audience made a comment about a tweet or facebook comment or email they'd sent as if the panelists would absolutely know what they were talking about.

It was kind of creepy, actually.

Comment

Actually, your post about cuddling Craig on a couch was one of the things that prompted me to start this thread.
                  Ha, ha! Not cuddling! I was gonna tickle him till he cried: Uncle!

It was a joke, bro. Chill!
                  "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

You'd think I'd be able to spot a joke at this point in my career.

Comment

How do you meet someone you've slightly interacted with online without being a creep?

Be cool, honey-bunny.

Actually: I met someone who had consulted on a TV pilot I'd written. I saw her name tag, introduced myself (explaining that I'd seen her name tag and that she had consulted). We shook hands, the panel started, then it was over, we exchanged pleasantries and that was that. Treat it like running into your dentist at the grocery store or something.

If you encounter someone whose every script makes you swoon like a teenager meeting Robert Pattinson, then don't go up to the person. Just don't. (She said, from experience.)

The best way to interact with people is to act as if they're regular people. Which they are. Just keep in mind they're regular people who don't know you.
                      Last edited by cvolante; 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I think it's Craig who needs to stop being so cranky!

Comment

It's not just you, either. I get emails all the time from people who straight-up insult me in a way they think is clever, then immediately ask for a favor.

Anecdote: Once at the old Expo, a guy who read my blog and had exchanged emails with me once or twice came up and introduced himself. He is now married to my best friend.
                          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I think it's sad that I actually know who Lowell's talking about. (I've spent waaaaaaay too much time online.)

For the record, I don't think a conference is a success unless I get at least two restraining orders against me.

HH

Comment

BAM! You've just been Lowelleled son.

Definitely a thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X