Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Radisson - too far?

Started to broach this subject in a separate thread, but I don't want it to be buried so . . .

I'm currently booked at the Radisson in a double room with my friend, but I keep thinking we should get closer (perhaps the Marriott). However, their "double" rooms consist of a queen and a pull-out sleeper sofa.

I'm trying to envision a "typical day" and whether or not it matters if I make a 6-block vs. a 3-block walk. If I'm basically hanging out at the Driskill from early morning until late evening (with a possible break somewhere in-between to recharge) . . . will it matter?

Yeah, I'm overthinking it, but I wanted to throw this out there perhaps to the AFF veterans who have done this drill before.

Worth noting: Due to bugedt and room availability reasons, the Driskill and SFA hotels are not an option.

Re: Austin Radisson - too far?

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
    Started to broach this subject in a separate thread, but I don't want it to be buried so . . .

I'm currently booked at the Radisson in a double room with my friend, but I keep thinking we should get closer (perhaps the Marriott). However, their "double" rooms consist of a queen and a pull-out sleeper sofa.

I'm trying to envision a "typical day" and whether or not it matters if I make a 6-block vs. a 3-block walk. If I'm basically hanging out at the Driskill from early morning until late evening (with a possible break somewhere in-between to recharge) . . . will it matter?

Yeah, I'm overthinking it, but I wanted to throw this out there perhaps to the AFF veterans who have done this drill before.

Worth noting: Due to bugedt and room availability reasons, the Driskill and SFA hotels are not an option.
    I THINK it was the Radisson I stayed at. The walk was easy, and you'll just be sleeping at your hotel and spending the majority of your time at the Driskoll.
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

I stayed in the Radisson one year and, while it was beautiful down on the lake, the six blocks uphill to the Driskill were not any fun, especially on warmer days. And it eliminated going back to the room unless I absolutely had to.

Haven't stayed at the Marriott, but the three blocks seem short and are flat.

Comment

What about the Hilton Garden inn? Anyone have any experience with that?

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
          . . . the six blocks uphill to the Driskill were not any fun, especially on warmer days. And it eliminated going back to the room unless I absolutely had to.

Haven't stayed at the Marriott, but the three blocks seem short and are flat.
          The "uphill" part of the equation is interesting. That was something that my Google streetview didn't necessarily convey when I viewed it on my PC. I might need to revisit this when my cohort gets back in town tomorrow. Maybe we'll flip a coin to see who gets stuck with the sofa sleeper at the Marriott.

Thanks, Greg. Maybe see ya there somewhere. I promise not to stalk.

Comment

New DDP member here. I live in Austin and the six blocks/.4 miles walk up Congress is flat. Then you turn right one block and there's the Driskill.
            .4 mile walk = eight minutes.
            http://www.screenforme.com

Comment

Hilton Garden is about ten minutes from the Driskill, and it's flat too. The hills are nearer to west 6th and if you're going up past 6th/7th, then it get's hilly. And, there are a million cabs and pedicabs everywhere.

Comment

There are pedicabs all over Austin and a great way to get around. You could easily get one from a 2 am party on 6th street and back to the Radisson and someone else would deal with the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonstephens View Post
                  New DDP member here. I live in Austin and the six blocks/.4 miles walk up Congress is flat. Then you turn right one block and there's the Driskill.
                  .4 mile walk = eight minutes.
                  I suspect for you there's no difference in elevation between the entrances to the Driskill cafe on 6th and the Driskill bar on 7th.

While it may seem flat to some, there's actually about a 75-feet or so elevation change from the Radisson to the Driskill. When you're 50, you feel the rise walking to the Driskill a tad more than when you're 24. And while the walk is pleasant when it's 65 or cooler, it's not as pleasant when it's 85, which it was the year I stayed at the Radisson. Since .4 = 8 minutes doesn't actually get you inside the Driskill, the ten minute walk, doubled to 20 when making a round trip, definitely reduces the desire to visit one's room in between panels or before meeting for lunch or dinner.

For the other suggestion: Not many pedicads running during the day, which is when one is more likely to make the back and forth trips. Plus, it would be downhill at 2 am returning to the Radisson.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                    I suspect for you there's no difference in elevation between the entrances to the Driskill cafe on 6th and the Driskill bar on 7th.

While it may seem flat to some, there's actually about a 75-feet or so elevation change from the Radisson to the Driskill. When you're 50, you feel the rise walking to the Driskill a tad more than when you're 24. And while the walk is pleasant when it's 65 or cooler, it's not as pleasant when it's 85, which it was the year I stayed at the Radisson. Since .4 = 8 minutes doesn't actually get you inside the Driskill, the ten minute walk, doubled to 20 when making a round trip, definitely reduces the desire to visit one's room in between panels or before meeting for lunch or dinner.

For the other suggestion: Not many pedicads running during the day, which is when one is more likely to make the back and forth trips. Plus, it would be downhill at 2 am returning to the Radisson.
                    I stayed at the Radisson once. I agree with Greg, just pay the extra dough. The walk isn't bad at all, but it might dissuade you from attending events that if you were a few blocks closer, would go to.

Comment

Valid points from Greg and Alex. Walking back and forth over several days would get old.

Comment

Oops, I reserved a room at the Radisson earlier today, wish I'd read this first. Oh, well. Since I live in San Francisco without a car, I guess I ought to be able to handle the hill, anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post

There might be a hotel shuttle available to take you back and forth. I know some of the hotels near the Driskoll are offering the service.

Comment

Working...
                          X