Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slamdance?

Anyone in the quarter-finals? Anyone placed before? Gone to Slamdance or WGA ceremony as a winner? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Re: Slamdance?

No luck for me. I entered a short that placed as a finalist in two other contest but no love from Slamdance.
    "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

I didn't enter anything this year, but my short won its category two years ago. And the year before that, a different short placed in the top five. Because of this, I went to the WGA awards ceremony twice.

If you live in LA and are in line for an award, you should definitely go to the WGA event. I enjoyed myself both times and was able to do some networking. And hey, it feels good to get an award. Plus there's free food and wine:-). If you live far from LA, though, only you can decide if the expense of flight and hotel is worth it.

The year my short won, Slamdance produced the film and premiered it on opening night at their festival in January. Of course, I went to that event and stayed for most of the festival. Had a great time. Slamdance is held entirely in one hotel in Park City (concurrently with Sundance). It makes it very easy to go from one event to another. Also Slamdance hosts happy hours and parties every night where you can network with the other filmmakers.

Here's the film Slamdance made from my script, in case you're interested:
      http://showcase.slamdance.com/filter...AD-IN-THE-ROOM

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

No luck for me. I entered a TV spec. Probably wouldn't have entered if I'd have known that they put all teleplays into the same category and that my drama was competing against comedy specs, drama pilots and 1/2 pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          No luck for me. I entered a TV spec. Probably wouldn't have entered if I'd have known that they put all teleplays into the same category and that my drama was competing against comedy specs, drama pilots and 1/2 pilots.
          I feel the same way. I entered an animated pilot last year, but this year I submitted my comedy pilot. I should have remembered that they lump TV scripts together. Specs usually have tried and true characters from the start to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by TarosMyr View Post
            I feel the same way. I entered an animated pilot last year, but this year I submitted my comedy pilot. I should have remembered that they lump TV scripts together. Specs usually have tried and true characters from the start to play with.
            My first time entering and clearly I mis-understood the rules.

I had no idea that 100 quarter-finalists meant 25 from each category (feature, horror, teleplay, short/webisode).

Live and learn...the hard way.

On the plus side my feedback was all positive -- then again, maybe all their feedback is positive?

Congrats to those who made it through!

Comment

Thanks for the insight. My feature script is in the quarter-finals, just wanted some info. This doesn't seem to be one of the more popular contests, but the prize money and trip to Park City seems pretty enticing to me.

Comment

Let's ask Jo Jo. I'm sure she entered it.

HH

Comment

I made the semifinals once but a friend talked me out of going-- said it was expensive, crowded, etc. I've always wished I'd ignored him and gone anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X