Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'm being paranoid...

...Or maybe that's what everyone WANTS me to think.

sent this email to Scriptopalooza:

"I just saw your list of winners for this years TV writing competition.
    It maybe that I'm paranoid but one of the winning entries sounds a lot like
    something I've written. But I can't find the script online or even any
    contact info for the author.

One of my "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" spec scripts is called
    "Frank gets hit by a Bus (aka The Sunny Apprentice.)"
    Here's a synopsis of the script:

After a near-death experience, Frank is convinced it's time to leave the bar
    and return to his "rightful place in the winners' circle." Taking a page from
    the Donald Trump reality show, Frank decides to run the gang through a
    series of shady business tasks to determine who will become his
    highly-paid "Apprentice."

Now a Quarter finalist in this year's sitcom category for is called
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia "Frank Picks an Apprentice" by Carl Stoffers.

It's probably just a big coincidence but I'd really like to be sure.
    I understand you can't give me the author's contact info. Is there any way
    to read the winning scripts online? Or could you confirm or deny that
    the script is anything like what I've just described?

Any help would be greatly appreciated."
    __________________________________________________ ____________

I just want a yes or no. Clearly someone at the contest had to have read it, right? Is is a parody of the Apprentice? If not, case closed. Can't get an answer though. Does anyone know Carl Stoffers? or this script?

"I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
    - C. Montgomery Burns

Re: Maybe I'm being paranoid...

Even if it is, that seems like a pretty generic idea and I would not be surprised at all if someone else came up with it as well.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Don'tcha' just love a side order of opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
        Even if it is, that seems like a pretty generic idea and I would not be surprised at all if someone else came up with it as well.
        Well said, Carl Stoffers.
        - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

I'd be willing to bet anything -- and I mean ANYTHING... That there's even another spec out there with this same concept as well.

a.) The Apprentice is something that's been in the zeitgeist for years now, and something that many many many comedy writers have chosen to parody and make fun of in many many many different ways.

b.) it's totally in line with something they'd have Frank's character do on the show. So anyone who knows the show well might think of it.

There's probably Modern Family specs that reference the Apprentice. Big Bang Theories, etc... etc...

It sucks when someone else writes something similar. But unless you have solid and incontrovertible evidence of plagiarism -- let it slide.

Whatever this dude's script is, it doesn't diminish the quality of your own script in any way or the function your script provides in trying to get yourself recognized for TV work, right? End of the day -- YOUR SCRIPT is YOUR sample. You stand behind it -- it works for you on its strength and who cares about some other dude who might have something similar.

Just keep telling people you share it with that you got the most kick ass Philly spec going and they better be prepared to laugh their asses off once they crack it open.

Comment

Did you enter the Scriptopalooza contest?

A script with a similar premise made the quarterfinals, but did you enter yours? Did it not make the quarterfinals?

I remember reading one of your Sunny specs (not the apprentice one) and frankly I'd be shocked if it didn't make the quarterfinals in Scriptopalooza or any other contest. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a finalist -- as I recall, it was clearly superior to other amateur TV specs I've read (admittedly the number I've read is <20).

You didn't enter?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
              Did you enter the Scriptopalooza contest?

A script with a similar premise made the quarterfinals, but did you enter yours? Did it not make the quarterfinals?

I remember reading one of your Sunny specs (not the apprentice one) and frankly I'd be shocked if it didn't make the quarterfinals in Scriptopalooza or any other contest. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a finalist -- as I recall, it was clearly superior to other amateur TV specs I've read (admittedly the number I've read is <20).

You didn't enter?
              No, I didn't enter the Apprentice one - but I've posted it many places.
              Including the advanced section here. I'm always trying to get it out there.

I entered The Gang catches Predators to last year's Scriptapalooza contest and did not win, nor even place in one of the 5 thousand runner-up categories. (But - to be fair - there may have been an issue with my paypal account/entry fee) But I definitely failed to place anywhere in the Script Pipeline TV spec contest. Yeah, I was surprised too. I even saw some of those other Sunny specs place. Based on the feedback I generally receive - I don't get it.

But thanks for saying that. I'm wrestling with whether I should bother to submit to Scriptapalooza again - the deadline is this week - these entry fees are killing me.

Obviously it's possible two people decided to write Sunny specs that spoof The Apprentice and I don't have a problem with that. I only care if someone replaced my name with theirs. I know someone that happened to. I just wish there was some way to see this award-winning script.
              I guess there isn't though.
              - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

I feel like you might be focusing on the wrong thing. Contests can be good to gauge your writing level and to get the validation you need to keep on going, but they're not the be-all, end-all. And yes, you are being paranoid. Even if someone stole your idea for a spec of an existing show, they still have to execute the idea well enough to make that theft worth it, and if they have executed the idea better than you, they are then the better writer.

I've been told time and again by TV showrunners, agents and managers--ideas matter, but execution matters more. Lots of people can come up with a great idea (well, maybe not "lots"), but a small percentage of those people can actually turn that great idea into a great script. And those talented few are the ones people want to hire.

As for whether Scriptapalooza is worth it--I vote for nay. I won the TV contest a few years back. It got me $500 and nothing more. A TV pilot script that didn't make it past the first round of Austin and a couple of other contests got me several management offers and two production companies willing to partner with me to take it out to try to sell. So, throw your script in the ring of a couple of contests, but don't depend on them entirely to get you to the next level.

Comment

Working...
                X