No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Tracking Board, Script Shadow launch contest

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
    Alright I was SUPER confused. So THE TRACKING BOARD is actually a different thing than TRACKINGB. I was wondering why TrackingB would be adding another contest.

So The Tracking Board has not done contests in the past, then? This is their first?
    Correct.
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

What guarantee do entrants have that their script won't be distributed by Carson to later be critiqued (and become over exposed, shop-worn and dead in the water thanks to negative comments) on his website, or posted on the tracking board forum (and become over exposed, shop-worn and dead in the water thanks to negative comments)?

I'll stick with Nicholl... I think we already know how I feel about trackingb contest.
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Bitter Scriptreader has weighed in, and mentions Emily Blake's blog -

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/

I kind of agree with him.

Comment

Why would Tracking Board team up with someone so controversial? They're an established company with a good reputation, I assume. Kinda mind boggling. But I guess they will need amateur writers to pay entry fees and figure SS can bring those in droves.

Comment

between the two of them, there definitely seem to be some integrity questions... Tracking-Board hosts scripts on their forums without writers permission. They seem to have no problem using scripts, ideas, and content that they have no right to in order to make money. They blatantly copied The Black List with The Hit List (even using the same format the first year), and they regularly copy all of Nikki Finke's and others scoops without giving journalistic credit, and pretend they're breaking the info... hard to trust a company like that.

Comment

I think Tracking Board is just 'partnering' with ScriptShadow to have access to the legions of amateur writers who follow him. I know the Recommend section of their coverage has gotten people signed and the scripts sold to smaller buyers, so I imagine the contest will have the same results. Better than a cash prize, in my humble.
              I think they should have made it a lot more clear what his relationship was with the contest, though. It's industry suicide to imply you even entertain the thought that Carson is someone to be taken seriously.
              @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
                between the two of them, there definitely seem to be some integrity questions... Tracking-Board hosts scripts on their forums without writers permission. They seem to have no problem using scripts, ideas, and content that they have no right to in order to make money. They blatantly copied The Black List with The Hit List (even using the same format the first year), and they regularly copy all of Nikki Finke's and others scoops without giving journalistic credit, and pretend they're breaking the info... hard to trust a company like that.
                Yup.
                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

ScriptShadow promoted the Tracking Board (at a "cut rate" price) a couple of years ago, so they're already entangled.

I would stay away from anything associated with SS or Carson Reeves because of the amorphous legal claims that he could make about being "the producer" of anything remotely associated with him.

Say you send a script for Amateur Friday or some other gig he's set up, and it gets publicly covered. Reeves and the commenters make their usual input. Then the script gets optioned -- by someone other than Reeves, of course. Or -- a stretch, I know -- it gets fully produced and makes money.

None of the on-site commenters would have the connections, resources, or MOTIVATION to claim a piece of the action. Reeves, however, has all three factors pushing him in that direction. Above all, he has the requisite nerve to sue whichever studio shot "your film" and grab what he can from the resulting legal chaos. Even the negative P.R. would benefit him because it would "get his name out there." That's how he operates.

I would never have put those thoughts into online words, concerning Reeves or ScriptShadow, before the latest blow-up on relevant blogs (bitter scriptreader, moviebytes, and Emily Blake's). The fact that the sky is raining ax-handles at Reeves and he still seems to be the beneficiary (comments #s are up at ScriptShadow, after falling radically for a few days), serves notice that the sky is indeed no limit for this guy.
                  Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 11-11-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

If they announce the specifics of the contest and Carson has any hand in the final product/prize, I hope people know to stay away. Getting signed would be great for a lot of people, but it won't do much good if your prize comes with Carson's hand in your pocket. Or would that be Carson clutching to your back? I think I'm mixing my metaphors.
                    @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                      ScriptShadow promoted the Tracking Board (at a "cut rate" price) a couple of years ago, so they're already entangled.

I would stay away from anything associated with SS or Carson Reeves because of the amorphous legal claims that he could make about being "the producer" of anything remotely associated with him.

Say you send a script for Amateur Friday or some other gig he's set up, and it gets publicly covered. Reeves and the commenters make their usual input. Then the script gets optioned -- by someone other than Reeves, of course. Or -- a stretch, I know -- it gets fully produced and makes money.

None of the on-site commenters would have the connections, resources, or MOTIVATION to claim a piece of the action. Reeves, however, has all three factors pushing him in that direction. Above all, he has the requisite nerve to sue whichever studio shot "your film" and grab what he can from the resulting legal chaos. Even the negative P.R. would benefit him because it would "get his name out there." That's how he operates.

I would never have put those thoughts into online words, concerning Reeves or ScriptShadow, before the latest blow-up on relevant blogs (bitter scriptreader, moviebytes, and Emily Blake's). The fact that the sky is raining ax-handles at Reeves and he still seems to be the beneficiary (comments #s are up at ScriptShadow, after falling radically for a few days), serves notice that the sky is indeed no limit for this guy.
                      You chat **** man. Carson wouldn't do that. Call his website/way of business dodgy but don't make sound like he's the next Hitler.

Plus him reviewing an AF does not mean he's automatically attached to it, so why/how would he sue the writer? Not only that but doing so would destroy his image in front of all of his followers.

Don't jump on the wagon just because it's the 'cool' thing to do.

Comment

After the turn things have taken at SS the last three months, nothing that the Shadster does in the future would surprise me.

In any case, when you have a self-described "producer" engage in what amounts to promoting your work, then I think it would be very easy to make the legal case that the future profits of that work are obligated, at least in part, to that producer. So that if you "go ahead" without the producer's involvement, and make money off the work, he has legal standing in claiming a piece of the action.

Something like this -- that a screenplay was permanently indentured, once a screenwriter submitted it (whether it won the contest or not) -- was one of the big initial complaints about amazonstudios, which Reeves appears -- working backasswards as is his pattern -- with rare ingenuity, to have replicated.

Comment

There's probably going to be a ghastly entry fee. My suggestion -- spend that money on the Blacklist service, or wait until the next TrackingB contest.

Comment

I'm not saying you can't learn from the ScriptShadow blog, particularly from guys like karlosd and other regulars on the comments page. I'm not (yet) saying that Carson is a total fraud and evil influence -- his back-to-basics take on GSU in particular can be helpful for newbies -- or screenwriters like myself who sometimes get lost in the word jungle.

I'm saying: Don't get sucked into contributing your work, as opposed to your comments, to ScriptShadow. That's all. No one can slap a copyright on an idea or an insight. But -- the way things are going -- I would not want Carson Reeves to be able to stake a claim in any way shape form or fashion, on my work itself.

Comment

Will the greed never cease?

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                                Will the greed never cease?
                                Business = greed.

Comment

Working...
                                X