Anyone have feedback about Michael Hauge?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have feedback about Michael Hauge?

Does anyone have any feedback or insight about Michael Hauge? I know he's been a screenwriting guru for a while, and am considering hiring him as a consultant. Thoughts?

Re: Anyone have feedback about Michael Hauge?

why do you think you need to hire a consultant (Hague or anyone else)?

Comment

I need someone to really help me take my writing to the next level and he seems like he's on top of that. I heard from a few people that if I wanted to work with a story consultant he's as good as it gets. Just wanted to see if I could get any feedback from the community before I make any decisions.

Comment

I got one of those CS lectures/seminars on DVD a while back in which Hauge is one of the speakers. He seemed, as your references said, to be highly together, both to know the form and the craft, and to have his own original ideas about it. I was not disappointed with the DVD at all. Four out of five stars.

That said, I would not pay over two hundred fifty for any one-draft read of a script. My rule, for better or worse. I don't care if Shane Black and Quentin Tarantino are sitting at the table, promising to promote it if it's that good. If it's that good, it should promote itself.

Comment

Thanks. I haven't checked out his DVDs yet. There are SO MANY script consultants out there these days, I am wondering if I'm better going with someone younger and more current, or if Hauge's POV and advice has stood the test of time.

Comment

He also does a lot of seminars around the world. Might be worth seeing if he's touring near you, if you're sure you want to spend the money.

I hear he's good - the Australian Writers Guild offers a handful of select entry pro workshops with him that are highly sought after. These are working screenwriters who seem to like what he does.

Having said that, I have no personal experience with him.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

Hauge charges $1,500 or more. You can get much better notes, from someone much more involved in the industry as a sold/produced writer and producer, from the Screenplay Mechanic (Andrew), known here as EvilRbt. See the thread(s) about him and his work to know he has ogtten many recommendations from DDers. He is the best. And a bargain. Period.

Comment

I've worked with Michael before on a project. Producers brought him on board as a consultant in early development. He was a pleasure to work with. As with anyone, he can only offer his thoughts - that is what you pay him for as thoughts take time and time = $$$. And his notes were as good, if not better than others. I wouldn't say his notes are not as good as others.

Ultimately though, you have to go with what's best for the story YOU want to tell. And you don't necessarily need HIM to do that for you.

I don't want to persuade you away from working with him - or take business away from Michael himself - but it sounds like you're looking for someone to mentor you with your craft. Which is perfectly fine. I did it when I was ready to make some leaps and leaps I made.

Find a professional writer at a further stage in their career than you are and contact them. Obviously, contacting someone like John August isn't smart as the dude is too busy to be doing something like that, but just find someone with some know-how who'd be happy to read your script and sit down with you 1 on 1 to chat through your ability with the craft, not the story directly. Offer to buy them coffee/lunch if you meet up, even offer them that you'll make the phone calls, or buy the beers. Let them know they won't be out of pocket with anything and prove to them how much you need their help and want to make a career of this thing. Most professional writers won't waste their time with people who will just waste theirs.

And if they say they're too busy, thank them for their time and find someone else. Or read scripts. Write some more. Practice...

If you're just looking for notes, plenty of good guys around who can do it much cheaper than Michael Hauge. But I will say he was of benefit to me with the project, very nice guy and switched on. Several in-depth discussions with him early stage and then it was up to us (myself, producers and director). The script isn't yet produced but hopefully soon.

I will also add that I have only worked with MH on this one project, so results may vary depending on the story you are telling and need help with.

To sum it up - need help with your script? Try SCREENPLAY MECHANIC etc. Need help with your craft? Contact a writer who can point you in the right direction, go read some scripts, write some more. Practice makes perfect.

Just remember, it is all up to YOU. On a personal level, you'll get what you give with this game.

Good luck

Comment

And yes, as mentioned above, buy his DVD's or find a library that has them and borrow them. They'll give you a good indication of how he works and whether it's the best fit for you and your project without the expensive price tag.

Comment

I love Hauge's approach and advice. I've taken The Hero's Two Journeys class twice and his Master Story class, which is essentially a day-long version of The Hero's Two Journeys.

Simply brilliant. Every writer at every level will learn something new from each class. He's used different, current films as teaching references in every class--there's always something fresh on the table.

His day-long Master Story class was conducted through the Romance Writers of America organization and cost only $ 80 for a an eight-hour session. You do not need to be a member of RWoA to attend and you will not find a better deal from any teacher or consultant anywhere.

At these classes, Hauge has offered a one-on-one story consultant session for $ 150 for a ninety-minute session.

if all you want are script notes, then the Screenplay Mechanic is clearly the best and most reasonable consultant out there. If you just want DVD's, I suggest The Hero's Two Journeys with Hauge and Chris Vogler.

if you are looking for a TEACHER to elevate your game, you want Hauge. I've taken classes with others 'gurus'. Some are good, some are very good, some are awful. No one compares with Hauge.

Comment

thanks everyone for your very thoughtful feedback. gives me lots to think about and consider.

Comment

Funny story: I won the Creative World Awards contest in 2009 and one of the prizes was a 30-minute phone call with Hauge.

... I declined.

Seems like a good dude and all, but I couldn't see the value in his advice.

Comment

I found some of his material in his book really helpful... he does a great chapter on THE KARATE KID.

Comment

... I declined.
                            ATB: Can you tell me a bit more about why you didn't think his advice was relevant?

Comment

I've never met a working screenwriter who paid this guy a cent.

Is that relevant?

I think so. You might not.

Comment

Working...
                              X