Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dov Siemens Class

My wife got me tickets to his Chicago event in the spring. I am excited about it, I am a writer, but looking forward to learning more about the entire process.

Did you take these classes? if so, how was it? Please don't tell me it sucks and is a rip off, that would suck. I see the testimonials from hollywood a listers, so, I assume its legit and good, and not just a traveling money maker guru thing.

thanks..
    • Go and do likewise gents..

Re: Dov Siemens Class

he's awesome and inspiring, and will make you want to go and just make a movie on your own. enjoy.

Comment

Assuming you're talking about the two-day film school, it's practical. It doesn't focus on art so much as how to get a film made and what to do with it afterwards.

Also, it's Dov Simens.
      Last edited by Kwinnky; 01-02-2013, 03:21 AM.
      what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

looking forward to it!

Comment

I did this and it was amazing. I learned a lot about the whole process.

Comment

It's not a bad class, but don't expect to learn much about writing. His advice was to write a drama set in one location and shoot that.

Comment

my wife got it for me for Christmas, it was 400 bucks I think, I wish it was just a screenwriting class mixed with marketing your SP. but, it's the thought that counts, and I am still very very excited about attending and learning all I can about the process, but im not really interested in "making a movie". the more I can learn about the process, the better when comes time to sell my script..which is now.

Comment

The class was informative and he's quite droll.

It's not a writer's class though - more for producing your first feature on various budgets. He displays little regard for the Hollywood system and is quite cynical about actors who he describes as "moveable props." He advises producers should try to option real life stories from newspaper articles etc. If you can't option a story and find a writer cheap enough to write a script then he advises you write the script yourself. His writing tips consist of, from a fading memory as it was a few years ago I took it, on day one write the title, then day two write a couple of pages etc. Until finally you write 10-20 pages a day or something and finish the script almost before you started it. I think it's a good idea to try to write as fast as possible but that's not really going to produce a professional, product which you'd want to film. For finance advice - he suggests government programmes, tax breaks from various states and approaching (cold-calling) dentists who he characterizes as being rich and dull looking for excitement. Offer them the chance to invest in your movie and give them a free dvd, chance to wear a tux at premiere etc.

He was an interesting character and it was an entertaining two days. It's not going to help you write but it may inspire you to try to get one of your screenplays produced by producing it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickster View Post
                  The class was informative and he's quite droll.

It's not a writer's class though - more for producing your first feature on various budgets. He displays little regard for the Hollywood system and is quite cynical about actors who he describes as "moveable props." He advises producers should try to option real life stories from newspaper articles etc. If you can't option a story and find a writer cheap enough to write a script then he advises you write the script yourself. His writing tips consist of, from a fading memory as it was a few years ago I took it, on day one write the title, then day two write a couple of pages etc. Until finally you write 10-20 pages a day or something and finish the script almost before you started it. I think it's a good idea to try to write as fast as possible but that's not really going to produce a professional, product which you'd want to film. For finance advice - he suggests government programmes, tax breaks from various states and approaching (cold-calling) dentists who he characterizes as being rich and dull looking for excitement. Offer them the chance to invest in your movie and give them a free dvd, chance to wear a tux at premiere etc.

He was an interesting character and it was an entertaining two days. It's not going to help you write but it may inspire you to try to get one of your screenplays produced by producing it yourself.

thanks alot, im lookin forward to it, it was $400, my wife got for me for christmas. she was so excited to give it to me, she is my biggest supporter!

Comment

Working...
                  X