X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl raises income limit

"Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting

On the Academy Nicholl competition Rules front, a change for 2013:

The Academy Nicholl Committee voted to raise the lifetime screen and television writing earnings limit for eligible entrants to $25,000.

Previously, the limit had been $5,000. In 2013, writers who have earned no more than a lifetime total of $25,000 for screen and television writing are eligible to enter the competition."

I'm baaa-aacck... but getting close to the new limit as well.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Nicholl raises income limit

if you pay your reps commission, is that amount included in your earnings or no?

So, say you make $26k but pay 5.2K in commissions? what have you earned according to the Nicholls?

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
      if you pay your reps commission, is that amount included in your earnings or no?

So, say you make $26k but pay 5.2K in commissions? what have you earned according to the Nicholls?

You should ask this on the nicholl facebook page. It's an interesting question.
      Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Woohoo! That means I'm in again too. (I think - that rep question is a good one.)
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Guess they weren't happy with 7000+ entries.

Comment

This is an extraordinary increase. I understand the desire to allow more writers to raise the limit, but I worry this changes from an amateur contest to a semi-pro/ beginning pro contest now. Shame.

EJ

Comment

Austin has no rules like that-- anyone can enter, from what I remember?

Comment

PAGE is also $25,000. I wonder if it is a general attempt to increase the quality of the winning scripts in relation to some of the other top contests (or even The Blacklist) and keep their place as the contest where the industry can find the best unknown writers. Competition is fierce these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Rose View Post
                  PAGE is also $25,000. I wonder if it is a general attempt to increase the quality of the winning scripts in relation to some of the other top contests (or even The Blacklist) and keep their place as the contest where the industry can find the best unknown writers. Competition is fierce these days.
                  I doubt that quality has anything to do with it. And no other contest even comes close in terms of quality and recognition.

Here's what was was posted on the Nicholl FB wall:

"Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
                  The change was made in recognition of the fact that garnering an option here and a low-budget rewrite job there over a number of years hardly transformed that writer into a working professional."

In any case, I'm happy to be a (hopefully temporary) beneficiary of the change.

Comment

Personally, I think this is a great change. Under $25,000 lifetime earnings might technically mean "professional screenwriter" but in practice it's a long way from having a writing career. I think this is a much-needed correction that allows the Nicholl Fellowship to help launch careers for a wider and more inclusive group of aspiring writers.

Comment

This is certainly a welcome change. As for those who feel that it's opening the door to "professionals" to enter the contest, well ...

1) If "professionalism" means you've earned 5 taxable grand via the movie world, or are a WGA member, then it really doesn't mean much (compared with the professionalism of, say, an attorney or doctor).

2) We "amateurs" are always comparing our product favorably with what ends up on the screen. If we're really that good, why be afraid of competition from those who are, in our opinion, not writing very well to begin with?

Beyond that: Thanks for the info, Lauri.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                        And no other contest even comes close in terms of quality and recognition.
                        I agree with this. This could be construed as an action that insures that remains the case. It favors protecting their brand over finding talented amateur screenwriters that don't have an opportunity to get read otherwise. The reality, though, is that all scripts have to eventually swim in the same pool and lifetime $25,000 isn't a career.

Comment

I'd be surprised if it causes more than a blip in the number of entrants, which are going up every year in any case. I guess we'll see...

Comment

they should add a floor while they're at it

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post

So, say you make $26k but pay 5.2K in commissions? what have you earned according to the Nicholl?
                              Not sure if you're joking, but the Academy Nicholl earnings limit pertains to gross income. Commissions and other expenses would not affect the gross.

Comment

Working...
                              X