China launches screenwriting competition for US writers!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China launches screenwriting competition for US writers!

Just saw this on the Nicholl FB feed:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...tion-us-425793

more here and a link to the contest rules: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...r-u-s-writers/

and you just need a pitch or a short, not a completed screenplay...
    Last edited by LauriD; 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: China launches screenwriting competition for US writers!

AMC is Chinese-owned? Huh. ...Huh.
    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Any issues with intellectual property protection?

Comment

Just in time - I'm putting the finishing touches on my Tianenmen Square Massacre epic!

Comment

It's a bit disappointing to find that the grand judges are Hollywood veterans:

http://writebeijing.org/about/honorary-members/

IMO, it would be more intriguing, I think, if the contest were exclusively judged by a Chinese jury, in terms of the kinds of stories that the contest would favor. In my limited experience of watching Chinese films, their underlying values are often subtly different from those that one generally finds in Hollywood movies.

Comment

I'm going to win with my epic historical tale of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

Comment

Fantastic! Here's mine:

"A young manager at a Jeans factory must learn Kung-Fu to thwart a children revolt orchestrated by evil Tibetan monks."

Comment

Title: No Bad Chinese People in China

Log line: When a British journalist researches a story on the strict censorship imposed on creative works by the Chinese government, he discovers that Hong Kong's triad films were all the work of the Japanese propoganda machine... and now has 24 hours to master wushu and defeat the grandmasters of karate, aikido, judo and ju jitsu, or a McDonald's Drive Thru (TM) will open in the middle of the Great Wall.

Genre: thriller. No, seriously.
                Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Sorry, double post (the site was messing up for me). Please remove.
                  Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Genius. Sending your best written ideas to the knock-off capital of the universe.

Comment

So who here is entering? The website isn't working, so I assume a bunch of late entries are crashing it...

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                        So who here is entering? The website isn't working, so I assume a bunch of late entries are crashing it...
                        I entered it! Sent mine in pretty quickly last month.

It sounds like a lot of fun.

Did any one else enter?

Comment

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post
                          I entered it! Sent mine in pretty quickly last month.

It sounds like a lot of fun.

Did any one else enter?
                          moi

Comment

Just submitted
                            www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                            http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

That makes three of us here -- at least!

I wonder how many people entered?... I would imagine that there were more entering in the student category, but who knows.

A first-time contest is always a bit of a gamble, I suppose. I wonder how non-student entries they received -- dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?

I wrote mine as a brand new story as opposed to adapting something I already had. Something that was indigenous to Beijing -- I lived there for a couple of years 20+ years ago but my story is contemporary.

I think the prize is fun -- an all expense-paid trip for the semi-finalists and a go at the bigger prize. The best part, of course, for those who don't win is that they don't lose the rights to their story and they would have a script ready for the Chinese co-production market.

All we gotta do is place, right? Easier said than done.

I wish everybody here good luck -- wouldn't it be great if we all met up in Beijing?

See you at the banquet!

Comment

Working...
                              X