• Show
Clear All

• Nashville Screenwriters Conference

Anyone here ever attend?

Thinking about going this year.

Seems very affordable.

Was it worth it?

Re: Nashville Screenwriters Conference

Seven and eight years ago I was a runner for the NSC (delivering stuff around) and able to sit in on some events. Overall, it was a good experience for me after I'd been screenwriting for a few years.

Is it worth going? First of all, it's always worth a trip to Nashville because it might be the greatest city in the country. Second, it depends what you want to get out of it. If you're interested in sitting in on a few of the panels, maybe meeting a few fellow writers, then sure.

For those outside LA it's one of the few opportunities to hear working writers talk shop. Especially in the south, where outside of Austin it's one of the only legitimate screenwriting events east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon.

Having said that, there's a lot of focus on things like "Turning your song into a screenplay" and other music-related things. If you want to pay extra, they have events where you can sit at a table with some of the writers, which depending on your finances might be a fun experience, though I wouldn't go in expecting to get too much out of it other than an anecdote or tip or two.

Comment

Hey, mg, I'm sure you didn't know this, but I'm going to be there!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        Hey, mg, I'm sure you didn't know this, but I'm going to be there!
        Just looked at the website. Looks like a great conference. Maybe next year. have fun.... Oh and Jeff.... my wife is a huge fan. Hotel for Dogs is one of her all time favorite films. You puts dogs in a film and she's first in line....

Comment

I'm in the "maybe next year" crowd, too.

Maybe in a couple years I'll be invited to speak on a panel! Yeah.
          "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
          Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

I'm also looking at the "next year" possibility. I live right down the interstate from Nashville.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Let's do it - let's make it a thing for DDP next year. Austin and Nashville, 2014.

Maybe my wife will let me go for my birthday? The main thing I want to know is: How is the food in Nashville?
              www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
              http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

There are some good eats there. There is some good everything.

http://www.where2nowmag.com/2009/05/...word-of-mouth/

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                  Let's do it - let's make it a thing for DDP next year. Austin and Nashville, 2014.

Maybe my wife will let me go for my birthday? The main thing I want to know is: How is the food in Nashville?
                  Food is fantastic. My wife and I went twice this year (we live in LA). Great music scene (not a big fan of C&W, but the musicians are incredible), fun night life. And a burgeoning film industry too.

Comment

Some friends of mine own and operate an excellent burger joint in Nashville. Pencil in a lunch date on the 2014 calendar.
                    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

You know, I can't say that we will really do it, but a DD meeting at the Nashville conference next year would be great.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Nashville does have a great music scene. It's similar to Austin in a lot of ways, and if do a little bar hopping, you'll find some great musical talent, and you'll have no idea why that talent hasn't hit it big. I mean, it's crazy consistently good. And I hate country music.

Comment

I went a few years ago and it's an enjoyable event. Workshops are put together well.

Austin though has pitching opportunities and the contest and has the annual awards they give out to pros.

Both are worth attending. Attend Austin if you can only make it to one of the two.
                          "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                            I'm also looking at the "next year" possibility. I live right down the interstate from Nashville.
                            Me, too! East or West? Had I seen this thread earlier, I might have gone.

Comment

I live about halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga, right next to the interstate that connects them.

Comment

Working...
                              X