• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quest Initiative; Logline competition

What you need to know about "The Quest Initiative-

Cost: Free.

How many participants: Up to 4.

Who may apply: Any aspiring screenwriter who is not a member of the WGA or equivalent professional writing organization. Writers do not have to live in Los Angeles, and may be located in the United States or internationally based. Writers may be any age, gender, race, etc.

When will the workshop run: July 15-December 29, 2013.

How will I determine who gets accepted: There are three key standards. (1) Story concept: I am looking for strong story concepts that I believe when executed as a script can get set up as projects in Hollywood. In other words, I am almost exclusively interested in commercial high concepts. I will make exceptions if the story elements make me think the project is a marketable one, but the concept has to be extremely strong if it is not high concept. (2) Writing ability: I will ask applicants who make it past the first cut to send me a sample of their writing, as well as a detailed description of their background as a writer and a statement about why they want to be a screenwriter. (3) Personal interview: I will have a one-on-one conversation with applicants who make it past the next cut in order to assemble a group I feel will be compatible with each other.

How do you apply: A simple email with the word "Quest Logline- in the subject line, then a logline of your story in the text. If you have a title, please post that. If the genre of the story is not clear from the logline, you may include the genre.

When may you apply: I will be accepting loglines from May 22 through June 8, 2013. You may send them to me at: thequestinitiative at gmail dot com.

Link: http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...tml#more-38916
    Any thoughts on this?

Re: The Quest Initiative; Logline competition

Scott's a really nice guy who gives a lot to the screenwriting community and I don't see any reason to not give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
      Scott's a really nice guy who gives a lot to the screenwriting community and I don't see any reason to not give it a try.
      Nothing to disagree with there, although I don't recall seeing much follow up on the GITS site with last year's participants. It would be nice to hear what people's outcomes from the process were (beyond "And at the end I had a whole new finished script" variety).

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        Nothing to disagree with there, although I don't recall seeing much follow up on the GITS site with last year's participants. It would be nice to hear what people's outcomes from the process were (beyond "And at the end I had a whole new finished script" variety).
        He actually touched on that subject today:

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...ve-day-13.html
        "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
        Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
          Ditto. I've taken a few classes from him for fun - He totally loves movies and wants to help writers tell better stories.

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
            He actually touched on that subject today:

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...ve-day-13.html
            I entered 2 loglines last week and did read this follow-up article. Does anyone know if he posted the winning loglines from last year? My search turned up nada.

Comment

He intentionally did not post them. That's part of the agreement between the entrants and Scott. He will not share the loglines. I would imagine we would find out the loglines if/when any sales occur.
              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Scott posted yesterday that out of approx. 2000 loglines, he only chose 1% of them to go onto the next round.
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                  Scott posted yesterday that out of approx. 2000 loglines, he only chose 1% of them to go onto the next round.
                  And one of them is me!

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                    And one of them is me!
                    I saw you on the list. Way to go, lady!

Comment

And one of them is me!
                      Congrats! Hope you make it!

Comment

And one of them is me!
                        Congrats!!
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm really excited about the opportunity and given that my story ideas are usually on the low-concept side, it's especially gratifying to have come up with something commercially viable.

Comment

Way to go! Top 1% is um... pretty darn good. Did you have the logline(s) sitting around or did you create it specifically for Quest?

Comment

Congrats! Please let us know how it goes.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Working...
                              X