Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to write good coverage

This may totally be the wrong board, in which case, mods, move me!

I know that really good coverage is one of those things that is a) hard to come by and b) not that "teachable" (more experience-based than anything) but lately, every time I get a script from a friend/colleague/whatever and I give notes, I get this feeling I'd really enjoy doing coverage. The basics of coverage are pretty self-explanatory, but is there anything I can do to make myself great at coverage?

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Re: Learning to write good coverage

having done coverage, i disagree with the premise of the statement "I get this feeling I'd really enjoy doing coverage."

there is almost nothing enjoyable about it

Comment

Yeah, coverage is pretty soul sucking. That being said, I would say try to see the movie that the writer is trying to make instead of what you would write, and always offer possible solutions instead of just problems (speaking strictly of developmental coverage here). I tend to get good feedback on my coverage using those two guidelines.

And while coverage is hard to recommend, I will say that doing 300 or so coverages over a year leveled me up pretty far as a writer pretty quickly.
      @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Trust me, I see hoe it could be annoying, but I like organization, and a lot of coverage is about breaking down the elements of a script. I definitely couldn't see myself in script development long-term, though.

Thank you both!

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Llama View Post
          Yeah, coverage is pretty soul sucking. That being said, I would say try to see the movie that the writer is trying to make instead of what you would write, and always offer possible solutions instead of just problems (speaking strictly of developmental coverage here). I tend to get good feedback on my coverage using those two guidelines.

And while coverage is hard to recommend, I will say that doing 300 or so coverages over a year leveled me up pretty far as a writer pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
          X