Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluecat - Another complaint

I suppose they don't comment on here because they would just have too many complaints. Just wanted to share another poor response from Bluecat.

- The situation: I received good feedback, but the one complaint by the reader was that my main character asks another character if they were dead three times, saying I used the phrase 'you weren't dead, were you?'

- The reality: I never said that or meant to. So I searched the script, and that never appears, and the word 'dead' never appears. So I emailed Bluecat to clarify, and their response was 'It is the author's responsibility to be clear, not the readers.'

Am I coming out of left field with my concern? I wanted some feedback on how to improve my script, and I see now that I should go through and make it more clear. That is always a good idea, naturally (especially since the last short I did was a bit too cryptic). But I am still unsure how.

Would other contests go back and clarify this with the reader? I had an issue with Fresh Voices once, and they went back and fixed it. Can't I expect the same with Bluecat? Apparently not.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Re: Bluecat - Another complaint

The script has to speak for itself. It never matters what YOU MEANT to say, it only matters how people reading it feel about it. And even if you were clear, they may still take it the wrong way.

I wouldn't put too much stock into one reader saying anything. And most likely the reader is just like you -- a writer trying to make it. Not a professional reader.

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
      I suppose they don't comment on here because they would just have too many complaints. Just wanted to share another poor response from Bluecat.

- The situation: I received good feedback, but the one complaint by the reader was that my main character asks another character if they were dead three times, saying I used the phrase 'you weren't dead, were you?'

- The reality: I never said that or meant to. So I searched the script, and that never appears, and the word 'dead' never appears. So I emailed Bluecat to clarify, and their response was 'It is the author's responsibility to be clear, not the readers.'

Am I coming out of left field with my concern? I wanted some feedback on how to improve my script, and I see now that I should go through and make it more clear. That is always a good idea, naturally (especially since the last short I did was a bit too cryptic). But I am still unsure how.

Would other contests go back and clarify this with the reader? I had an issue with Fresh Voices once, and they went back and fixed it. Can't I expect the same with Bluecat? Apparently not.
      Hmmm, I've had some reader comments that have come out of nowhere... the question is, where you hoping to use BlueCat's reader coverage to make changes to your script? It's a bit of a crap shoot, isn't it? Some might give you great notes and some might not. Mostly you just take what you get and move along. Or where you worried about not advancing based on the reader's comments? That's something else entirely.

Was this for a short? Or a feature?

Comment

Thanks, just a short. But yeah, I was hoping there was something there to improve on, because we are talking about shooting it soon.

Want a free book?

Comment

Am I reading this incorrectly, or does this indicate that the reader didn't actually read your script (emphasis on the *your*)?
          "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
          Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

I don't know, other parts indicated they did. So it's weird. They didn't say I implied character A said "Are you dead" (or were, whatever), thay said that's what she said, three times. But she says it zero times.

So maybe they were just reading so many scripts they got it confused? I don't know.

At any rate, I just wanted to raise the piont in case anyone is like me and was like 'Well, maybe I'll give Bluecat one more chance.'

The rest of the feedback was very positive, so I'm going to feel bad if I say this and win or place well, but the point remains that their customer service is junk compared to other contests.

Want a free book?

Comment

I believe Bluecat has been sufficiently pummeled over similar issues in other threads. Proceed at your own risk...

Comment

Most likely your script was speed read, if you're happy to have inexperienced readers from craigslist who are getting paid ten dollars to evaluate your material, by all means submit to bluecat, other wise submit to a legitimate contest.
                It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

No blue cat for me.

Comment

BlueCat have started spamming a movie forum I frequent with posts asking people to compete. I really don't like the way these guys operate.
                    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Yeah, maybe people have started to get the message and will stop submitting...

Got another email from them today, it said "We will not provide an explanation."

That's it.

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                        Yeah, maybe people have started to get the message and will stop submitting...

Got another email from them today, it said "We will not provide an explanation."

That's it.

I think thats super condescending to answer you in such a way, i wouldnt bother with these people.

Comment

I'd say consider the feedback like you would any other. Chew on it, and if you find it's not accurate/applicable, just spit it out.

Remember first round readers are usually overworked and not professional readers. You can only hope to catch a good one on a good day and move up the chain enough to where more experienced eyes read your material.

That said, you really shouldn't rely on free feedback from contests to polish your script for production :/

It's always fun to get free notes on your material (and occasionally useful) but, as they say, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Seems quite a spectacular tantrum to be throwing because you didn't like one comment in a piece of coverage that came free with a $40 competition entry. I've had completely useless coverage that cost over $400.

I've had 18 pieces of coverage from Bluecat so far. All 18 proved that my script had been read in full, and 16 gave notes that helped me improve my script. The couple that didn't had lots of positive things to say, and these would probably have been helpful as well if the scripts hadn't been re-submissions. Given how little you paid, I think it's unreasonable to expect Bluecat to enter into a debate just because there was something in it you don't agree - as opposed to something malicious or offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                              Seems quite a spectacular tantrum to be throwing because you didn't like one comment in a piece of coverage that came free with a $40 competition entry. I've had completely useless coverage that cost over $400.

I've had 18 pieces of coverage from Bluecat so far. All 18 proved that my script had been read in full, and 16 gave notes that helped me improve my script. The couple that didn't had lots of positive things to say, and these would probably have been helpful as well if the scripts hadn't been re-submissions. Given how little you paid, I think it's unreasonable to expect Bluecat to enter into a debate just because there was something in it you don't agree - as opposed to something malicious or offensive.
                              But this is a case where the reader complained about something that wasn't even in the script. Makes no sense.

ETA: I say this having never entered Bluecat and having no affiliation.

Comment

Working...
                              X