What is the longest script that ever made the Black List?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the longest script that ever made the Black List?

What are the longest scripts to ever make the Black List? Just curious.
    Twitter @CameronAlxander

Re: What is the longest script that ever made the Black List?

The Brigands of Rattleborge is nearly 160 pages, I think. That was #1 on the 2006 list. The Social Network is 164 pages. Django Unchained it 168.

Comment

Django was 168 with wide page formatting and smaller font, so in reality it was probably closer to 180-190+.

But it's Quentin, so...

Comment

Yeah -- I almost don't count the Sorkin and Tarantino because they have their own special circumstances.

Good to know on brigands of rattleborge. Anyone else know of any particularly long scripts?
        Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

I don't believe they made the Black List, but CLOUD ATLAS and Shane Carruth's unproduced A TOPIARY are both around 230 pages.

There are a number of Black List scripts that run over 130 pages but besides Sorkin/Tarantino/Zahler, I can't recall any going over 140.

Comment

There are multiple versions floating around, but Vanderbilt's AGAINST ALL ENEMIES is 205.

Comment

This thread is going to overjoy every first-timer with a 200 page script. Even though long scripts can sometimes be excellent, it's still not a great idea to write a longer-than-average script. The Black List is a list of the best unmade scripts. Is it possible some of those scripts would have been scooped up immediately if they had been shorter?

Comment

^ no.

And it's not unmade scripts, it's as-of-yet unproduced. Many scripts on The Black List are already "scooped up" at the time the list is released. And many are in pre-pro. Length doesn't matter. Just focus on story.

Comment

If the people reading this thread can't realize that a) the majority of BL scripts fit typical page length guidelines and b) that those that don't are almost always written by already-famous writers, that person's already got a whole lot to learn.

Comment

It's too long, Cameron, cut some pages.

Comment

If your story requires 140 pages to do it justice (and I emphasize requires), then, IMHO, you should not water it down to fit into 110-120 pages.

I know people pick up 120+ page specs and groan as they weigh it in their hands, but so what. They're groaning because the majority of too-long scripts are too long because the story isn't focused. It meanders or stalls.

But does that mean your story will meander? Does that mean your story will stall? Who knows. Only you do. But you're the one writing the fvcking script. It's your story. Write it the way you want to. Write it the way it demands to be written.

And if that story turns out to need (emphasis on need) 140+ pages to do it justice, as Craig Zahler's BRIGANDS did (who was, gasp, an unknown before that spec), then fine.

I mean, I'm no proponent of long scripts. I don't particularly like to read them. My last spec was 89 pages, but it was 89 pages because that's the length the story needed to be told. But if it had needed 140 pages? I wouldn't fvck around and water down the story out of fear that someone may groan when they pick it up (or open the PDF).

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                        It's too long, Cameron, cut some pages.
                        lol
                        Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

I see your point, ATB, but the reason that most people groan at a long script is because there are so many novice writers out there whose scripts don't need 140 pages, but nonetheless are so big because the writers lack the skills/experience to be able to distill the story to a smaller number of pages.

There will always be an argument for an effective but long script. Typically, though, it's a case of overwriting.

Comment

That's what I said. Basically, this entire conversation is predicated on you being a good enough writer to discern how long your spec needs to be to tell your story effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                              If your story requires 140 pages to do it justice (and I emphasize requires), then, IMHO, you should not water it down to fit into 110-120 pages.

I know people pick up 120+ page specs and groan as they weigh it in their hands, but so what. They're groaning because the majority of too-long scripts are too long because the story isn't focused. It meanders or stalls.

But does that mean your story will meander? Does that mean your story will stall? Who knows. Only you do. But you're the one writing the fvcking script. It's your story. Write it the way you want to. Write it the way it demands to be written.

And if that story turns out to need (emphasis on need) 140+ pages to do it justice, as Craig Zahler's BRIGANDS did (who was, gasp, an unknown before that spec), then fine.

I mean, I'm no proponent of long scripts. I don't particularly like to read them. My last spec was 89 pages, but it was 89 pages because that's the length the story needed to be told. But if it had needed 140 pages? I wouldn't fvck around and water down the story out of fear that someone may groan when they pick it up (or open the PDF).
                              Pros can write whatever length they want because they've proved they're good writers.

Amateurs don't have that advantage. You write over 120 pages the assumption from any reader is going to be you don't know how to tell a screen story efficiently.

May be unfair, but that's how it is.

If you just like to write and don't care about selling, then go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X