Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Emerging Writers Program

Did any other DDers submit to this? I noticed the window was open for the full 30 days. They must not have received 500 applications. With such an amazing opportunity, I'm amazed that they didn't get swarmed with applications within the first few hours.

http://www.nbcunicareers.com/univers...ers-fellowship

Re: Universal Emerging Writers Program

i think the 2 letters of recommendation probably limited the universe (har) of potential applicants to people in LA/NY with existing relationships with industry professionals.

(although that didn't apparently stop hopefuls from swarming Chris Lockhart with unsolicited requests for such a letter, despite not really knowing him from Adam)

Comment

I did.

I was also surprised that the window was open that long. If I knew I probably would have taken more time with my application!

Comment

I applied on day one, also very surprised that the window stayed open for the entire 30 days. Funny enough I was just about to start a thread about this very topic. They never announced when the semifinalists would be contacted or anything like that. I've done a few online searches but can't seem to find much information other than the generic stuff out there. I guess one day will either get an email... Or we won't.

Comment

They posted a FAQ page on the main website for the program. It says that semifinalists will be contacted in mid-November, and they will have two weeks to submit their second writing sample.

http://www.nbcunicareers.com/sites/d...AQ_FINALv2.pdf

Comment

Yeah...JoeBanks is probably right. Letters of rec would inhibit a lot of applicants from applying--but I'm not sure that limiting it to LA or NY writers is a bad thing. Most writers who are serious about this as a career make the move. I did. Most of my other working writer friends have. It shows commitment to your writing career.

However, I'm guessing that isn't the only limiting factor. ABC/Disney requires letters and they still get over a thousand applicants. However, they want experienced writers. This program doesn't. This program was incredibly specific about what they wanted. Any previous option would disqualify a writer. Plus--they said no dramas, which is the genre that most new writers seem to start with (look at the Nicholl--most scripts are dramas). They also excluded writing teams and international applicants. I think that all played a role.

Comment

thanks for posting that, Celticbeauty. Didn't see that anywhere... now the waiting game.

Comment

Originally posted by celticbeauty View Post
                They posted a FAQ page on the main website for the program. It says that semifinalists will be contacted in mid-November, and they will have two weeks to submit their second writing sample.

http://www.nbcunicareers.com/sites/d...AQ_FINALv2.pdf
                Didn't see this. Useful information about that second script. Thanks for posting!

Comment

If you think it's tough qualifying for universals Fellowship program, check out the Fox version. Yikes.

http://www.fox.com/audiencestrategy/...tersintensive/

Comment

Yeah...I'm VERY familiar with that one. My friend won that FOX fellowship and has a deal with FX now.

Comment

Two months ago, I emailed (via the contact us link on the page) to inquire about the recommendations and what constituted an "industry professional". At the time, there was no FAQ on the site.

I got a reply today, nearly two weeks after the deadline passed. And it just referred me to the FAQ.

Comment

Odd. I just got the same form email response that you did, directing me to the FAQ page. I was asking to whom the letters should be addressed, and if a .pdf would be acceptable (I emailed them back on 8/16, prior to that information being on the website as well).

Did you submit?
                        Last edited by celticbeauty; 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Strange, that FAQ didn't seem available during submission period. It appeared later.

Application said script submitted must not have been optioned, which i read as don't submit a script optioned in the past, submit something new.

Then the FAQ comes out later and says any previous option (dollar options as well I presume ) disqualifies writer.

Might have saved some writers time if they stated "any" option disqualifies writer in the application rather than waiting several weeks to add it to FAQ. Then there would have been no need to mention that submitted script couldn't have option on it.

Oh well, I guess they're still figuring it out as a first year program.

Comment

Originally posted by celticbeauty View Post
                            Odd. I just got the same form email response that you did, directing me to the FAQ page. I was asking to whom the letters should be addressed, and if a .pdf would be acceptable (I emailed them back on 8/16, prior to that information being on the website as well).

Did you submit?
                            I did. One of my short scripts was made into a film this past summer and one of the producers wrote one of my recommendation letters. The other came from a writer/director who I'd helped with a pilot he's pitching to NBC.

The rules (at the time anyway) said only feature or TV credits made you ineligible, so I figured my short was okay.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                              Strange, that FAQ didn't seem available during submission period. It appeared later.

Application said script submitted must not have been optioned, which i read as don't submit a script optioned in the past, submit something new.

Then the FAQ comes out later and says any previous option (dollar options as well I presume ) disqualifies writer.

Might have saved some writers time if they stated "any" option disqualifies writer in the application rather than waiting several weeks to add it to FAQ. Then there would have been no need to mention that submitted script couldn't have option on it.

Oh well, I guess they're still figuring it out as a first year program.
                              Actually, they posted the FAQ page around September 14th--so the submission window was still open when they announced that. And yes--I agree that it sounds like dollar options would disqualify a writer.

Comment

Working...
                              X