• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Academy Nicholl Fellowships - 2014 - Questions & Answers

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
    Er, does the $25,000 barrier apply before or after taxes? :-/ seems I'm cut off from the great opportunity of Nicholl by a very slim margin.
    Yes, that would be before taxes, agent's commission, expenses, etc. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• LateNightWriter

• LateNightWriter
    replied

For those who've submitted a script that received positive reads or placed previously, and then this year the same script (or re-written into better shape) did not do well -- head over to the Nicholl Facebook page and check out the Nicholl staff's (Greg's?) very thoughtful and insightful post on subjectivity. It's worth reading.

Late Night Writer

Leave a comment:

• goldmund

• goldmund
    replied

Er, does the $25,000 barrier apply before or after taxes? :-/ seems I'm cut off from the great opportunity of Nicholl by a very slim margin.

Leave a comment:

• knoxdewitt
    New User

• knoxdewitt
    replied

P.S. I've read Neal's Top-50 script, and it's completely bizarre that it didn't advance.

Leave a comment:

• knoxdewitt
    New User

• knoxdewitt
    replied

Delighted to have two scripts advance to the quarterfinal round. Last year I had a script make the Top 50, and I've tightened it up quite a bit, so fingers crossed going forward! Proud to be a member of this community--though I'm usually passive--and thankful for all the knowledge I've soaked up from it.

Leave a comment:

• MacGuffin
    Regular

• MacGuffin
    replied

Last year two of my entered scripts garnered two positive reads, a first for me. This year, the same two scripts, only one positive read for one, and no positive reads for the other.

Different year, different Zeitgeist! (the entered scripts were the same as the ones entered last year).

Onward and upward!

And, major congrats to all those who are moving on in the competition.

Leave a comment:

• LateNightWriter

• LateNightWriter
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Good to hear. Best of luck.

I wish more quarter/semi/finalists would be equally proactive. Always surprised to hear that many writers simply sit back and wait for the contact lists to be distributed in October.
    Not me! I'm getting my queries out at this very moment.

Late Night Writer

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
    Just sharing my small success with using the "Nicholl Awards Quarterfinalist- email from Greg Beal with my contacts via email. DDers who are quarterfinalists have probably already thought of doing this so this is just FYI.
    Sent 12 emails to contacts I have that had read work in the past (some from VPF). And receive 4 requests for the quarterfinalist script pretty quickly. Wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in a quarterfinalist script so was pretty happy with those quick responses back. "FYI - Nicholl Awards Notification- in the subject line seems to get their attention.

Good luck to all DDers' in the quarterfinals!
    Good to hear. Best of luck.

I wish more quarter/semi/finalists would be equally proactive. Always surprised to hear that many writers simply sit back and wait for the contact lists to be distributed in October.

Leave a comment:

• Willoughby
    Regular

• Willoughby
    replied

Congrats to everyone in quarter-finals! As they said in Airplane...

"Good luck. We're all counting on you."

Leave a comment:

• Storytell
    Regular

• Storytell
    replied

Just sharing my small success with using the "Nicholl Awards Quarterfinalist- email from Greg Beal with my contacts via email. DDers who are quarterfinalists have probably already thought of doing this so this is just FYI.
    Sent 12 emails to contacts I have that had read work in the past (some from VPF). And receive 4 requests for the quarterfinalist script pretty quickly. Wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in a quarterfinalist script so was pretty happy with those quick responses back. "FYI - Nicholl Awards Notification- in the subject line seems to get their attention.

Good luck to all DDers' in the quarterfinals!

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Garamond View Post
    Congrats to the QFs! (Especially the ones from DD.)

Mind if I ask for some advice? I landed a "next 100 after the quarterfinalists" note and was thinking about putting this script on the Blacklist. What would you write in the awards box though? "Nicholl Next 100"? That seems like bizarre competition jargon.

Maybe just "Nicholl Top 5%"?
    Don't have the answer but Nicholl Top 5% would not be accurate as those are the quarterfinalists. I guess it would be the Academy Nicholl Top 6.4%. Rounding up would probably be okay.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by glantern2814 View Post
    One made Top 10%, the other got two positive reads. Congrats to those moving on.
    Speaking of, question for Greg, if a script that advances gets sold before the next round and is out of the competition, do you guys push ahead one of the scripts that just missed the cut, or is it just one less script in the competition?
    No, we don't. Since we include ties, the top 5% is usually somewhat greater than 5%.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
    I'd be curious to know whether foreign stories with foreign characters (non White) made the quarters. Or if it's yet another "writer from LA" scenario
    Scripts with "foreign stories with foreign characters (non White)" reach the quarters every year.

Most of the "writers from LA" moved here from somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• jsay
    replied

congrats to all! i'm out with only one... will enter it in Final Draft and trackingb next.

Leave a comment:

• ClintW3
    Regular

• ClintW3
    replied

Congrats to QF cadre and to anyone who exceeded expectations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X