No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Academy Nicholl Fellowships - 2014 - Questions & Answers

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    We're not looking for the scripts per se but for the writers of the scripts.
    Quick question along the same lines: is there a scenario in which entering multiple scripts would hurt a writer's chances of winning a fellowship?

Script 1: advances to the semi-final round to be considered as a finalist
    Script 2: weeded out immediately, doesn't even make quarterfinals

Since you're looking for the most promising writers, and not the best scripts, would the poor faring of script 2 hinder the writer's chances of becoming a finalist based on the strength of script 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt L View Post
      Quick question along the same lines: is there a scenario in which entering multiple scripts would hurt a writer's chances of winning a fellowship?

Since you're looking for the most promising writers, and not the best scripts, would the poor faring of script 2 hinder the writer's chances of becoming a finalist based on the strength of script 1?
      How would this be plausible given that scripts are read blind? Stripped of all identifying information.

Greg, I've heard whispers about select reader comments being made available to those who have made the semis. Is there any truth to this? Thanks.
      FADE IN:
      PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
      NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
        How would this be plausible given that scripts are read blind? Stripped of all identifying information.

Greg, I've heard whispers about select reader comments being made available to those who have made the semis. Is there any truth to this? Thanks.
        There's absolute truth to it. I was a 2013 Semifinalist and I got a brief 1-3 paragraphs of notes from select readers. I found it very helpful and insightful, and I'm really glad the Nicholl staff offered it.

Comment

Originally posted by celticbeauty View Post
          There's absolute truth to it. I was a 2013 Semifinalist and I got a brief 1-3 paragraphs of notes from select readers. I found it very helpful and insightful, and I'm really glad the Nicholl staff offered it.
          That's great, Celtic! Thanks. Looking forward to my notes
          FADE IN:
          NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt L View Post

No, it wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post

No whispers. Early last year we announced that we were going to give at least the quarterfinalists selected reader comments and then proceeded to provide all quarterfinalists (which includes semi/finalists) with two reader comments.

Given logistical problems within our database, I think we'll distribute reader comments at the same level this year. We'd like to expand but it doesn't appear to be possible at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                No whispers. Early last year we announced that we were going to give at least the quarterfinalists selected reader comments and then proceeded to provide all quarterfinalists (which includes semi/finalists) with two reader comments.

Given logistical problems within our database, I think we'll distribute reader comments at the same level this year. We'd like to expand but it doesn't appear to be possible at the moment.
                Great to hear! Added bonuses are always welcome. Thanks, Greg.
                FADE IN:
                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

In case anyone is planning to enter the Academy Nicholl Fellowships competition tomorrow and expects to be pushing against the deadline, you might want to take a quick glance at our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/NichollFell...52382879392603

Comment

How long after the deadline til you know the official count o' scripts? The numbers are always fun to watch.
                    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                      How long after the deadline til you know the official count o' scripts? The numbers are always fun to watch.
                      We'll have an unofficial, but reasonably close, count tomorrow.

Hard to say how soon we'll have an official final count. Always a problem or two that crops up and extends the time.

Comment

Has official count on number of entries been posted anywhere?
                        Thanks.

Comment

I think it's 7197.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
                            Has official count on number of entries been posted anywhere?
                            Thanks.

This year's "official" announcement was posted yesterday afternoon:

Academy Nicholl Fellowships Record Submissions

Comment

got to be a record, right?

Comment

This is my first time entering Nicholl and was wondering how the notification process works.

We should be checking our inboxes sometime after August 1, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X