• Show
Clear All

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Academy Nicholl Fellowships - 2014 - Questions & Answers

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
    Greg,

Regarding the judge's comments...

There's no way to find out (or request to know) who made the comment on your script, right? The one for mine was, um, quite flattering
    Yes, that's true. We don't reveal any reader's name.

Leave a comment:

• grumpywriter
    replied

Greg,

Regarding the judge's comments...

There's no way to find out (or request to know) who made the comment on your script, right? The one for mine was, um, quite flattering

Leave a comment:

• Storytell
    replied

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I put the title of the script with '2014 Nicholl Award' in the subject line.

I used a short pitch with logline and reference to 'Nicholl email notification below.'

I used an shotened version of Greg's email notification with the Academy 'Oscar' logo at the top immediately after my name.

Hope this helps. I've gotten six requests so far for the script out of about two dozen queries.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• acquaformosa
    replied

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
    Just sharing my small success with using the "Nicholl Awards Quarterfinalist- email from Greg Beal with my contacts via email. DDers who are quarterfinalists have probably already thought of doing this so this is just FYI.
    Sent 12 emails to contacts I have that had read work in the past (some from VPF). And receive 4 requests for the quarterfinalist script pretty quickly. Wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in a quarterfinalist script so was pretty happy with those quick responses back. "FYI - Nicholl Awards Notification- in the subject line seems to get their attention.
    Just curious. Did you actually include the original or initial email from Greg and the Nicholl staff . . . or just craft your own fresh query email? It sounds like you might have just changed the subject line and then added your own personalized query . . . with relevant logline details, etc.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by BenJacoby View Post
    Hi Greg,

For all the awesome Academy member credits you posted on FB, I'm just curious what categories those credits fall in. Do you guys give any indication of that? I assume that would be a time-consuming task so we certainly understand if not...
    We posted a follow-up this morning with a little more detail about Academy Branch members and judging. Currently, we don't disclose more than that.

Academy member semifinal round judging.

Leave a comment:

• BenJacoby
    replied

Hi Greg,

For all the awesome Academy member credits you posted on FB, I'm just curious what categories those credits fall in. Do you guys give any indication of that? I assume that would be a time-consuming task so we certainly understand if not...

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by anxt View Post
    And, Greg, what is a "strong" score? Or is that synonymous with a "high" score?
    It takes one "high" score to qualify for a third read. It takes at least two "strong" scores to advance a script to the quarterfinals. Strong scores are a slightly larger group than high scores.

Leave a comment:

• anxt
    replied

And, Greg, what is a "strong" score? Or is that synonymous with a "high" score?

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Scores at 60 or above are considered "positive."
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
    What's a "positive" score/read in the first round?
    Scores at 60 or above are considered "positive."

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    A high score that guarantees a script a third read during the first round tends to be in the low 80s.
    What's a "positive" score/read in the first round?

Leave a comment:

• BenJacoby
    replied

Thanks so much for the quick reply. You guys are amazing.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by BenJacoby View Post
    Hi Greg,

Just curious about the reader scores of the QFs, SFs, and Finalists. Do you guys ever show stats on the average score that advances to each successive round? I haven't seen it here or on the FB page, but I could be missing it.

Thanks!
    Ben
    We haven't really done that - just a few words about scores every once in a while. Since we don't distribute individual scores, there's not much context for entrants. In any case, here's what I believe we have said about quarter/semi/finalist scores over the past few years:

The Academy Nicholl Fellowships uses a 100-point scoring scale.
    A high score that guarantees a script a third read during the first round tends to be in the low 80s.
    Scripts advancing to the quarterfinals usually have at least two high scores (and so at least two scores in the low 80s).
    Scripts advancing to the semifinals tend to have at least five scores averaging in the low to mid-80s.
    The top 30 scripts in the competition tend to have at least eight scores averaging in the mid-80s.

Leave a comment:

• BenJacoby
    replied

Hi Greg,

Just curious about the reader scores of the QFs, SFs, and Finalists. Do you guys ever show stats on the average score that advances to each successive round? I haven't seen it here or on the FB page, but I could be missing it.

Thanks!
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
    For those who've submitted a script that received positive reads or placed previously, and then this year the same script (or re-written into better shape) did not do well -- head over to the Nicholl Facebook page and check out the Nicholl staff's (Greg's?) very thoughtful and insightful post on subjectivity. It's worth reading.

Late Night Writer
    Here's the link (my social media colleagues keep telling us that traffic is important or I'd just post it):

Academy Nicholl Facebook Post on Subjectivity

Leave a comment:

Working...
X