Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BlueCat

Felt the same about Scriptapaloosa after being a "winning finalist" (top 13 out of supposedly 4700+ submissions) a couple of years ago.

Not one read request as far as I know. And even though they say they market your script for an entire year I never heard from them after the initial announcement except for a request for a video testimonial.

I'm sure there are other finalists and winners who found representation and success though, so my experience is probably an anomaly.

Comment

Unfortunately, you're not alone in that experience with Scriptapalooza. I had another friend who won the Scriptapalooza TV competition, and nothing much happened as a result of that win. He did get a few reads, but not one of any significance.

I actually ran into a Scriptapalooza judge while I was out running errands. He told me that each year Scriptapalooza asks him to judge between 100-200 scripts in less than a month. That's on top of his extremely busy day job and weekend reads for work. He was actually thinking of stepping back from it because they asked too much of him.

How much attention do you think a contest reader actually gives your script when they are being asked to read that many in such a short period of their free time? IMHO, it would be very easy for good scripts to fall through those cracks. Again, I'd spend my hard-earned money elsewhere.

Comment

Maybe all the impact from these competitions is slightly overstated. I've had terrific buzz from Nicholl and PAGE in the past, but not so much from Austin . . . and I've won Austin. Mind you, perhaps being in a niche category like sci-fi and already having a rep at the time had something to do with it.

Last year I was a finalist and was told that the sponsors of the category (Frank Darabont's company) would be reaching out to schedule time with each of the finalists, but I never heard back from any of them . . . AFF or Darkwoods. Oddly enough, it's hard to get upset about it. For some reason, I kinda expected it.

I think the key with Austin is more around attending and networking (and getting empowered and recharged from the sessions), but you'd like to think that its screenplay competition should provide a few opportunities if you do well. I still try to leverage these achievements and accolades on my own of course.
        Last edited by acquaformosa; 02-19-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Wow, sucks. Good to know!
          www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
          http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I've had somewhat of the opposite experience with Scriptapalooza. Made the top 100 and have had at least five script requests that I can think of. Possibly more, I haven't checked in a while. The thing to remember about the script requests, is that they come from your query and log line, and of course the marketability of your script. You could be a finalist because the script itself is brilliant, but if your marketing materials are weak and/or unmarketable altogether, then you greatly reduce your chances of getting reads. Writing that script is only half the battle

Comment

My experience with Scriptapalooza has also been pretty good. I've had two scripts place in the semifinals and both got a handful of read requests via Scriptapalooza's marketing.

Comment

Working...
              X