X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrak Writing Fellowhip

I LOVE this idea!

"#AMTRAKRESIDENCY: APPLICATION FORM

Amtrak is excited to announce the official launch of the #AmtrakResidency program.

#AmtrakResidency was designed to allow creative professionals who are passionate about train travel and writing to work on their craft in an inspiring environment. Round-trip train travel will be provided on an Amtrak long-distance route. Each resident will be given a private sleeper car, equipped with a desk, a bed and a window to watch the American countryside roll by for inspiration. Routes will be determined based on availability.

Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed by a panel. Up to 24 writers will be selected for the program starting March 17, 2014 through March 31, 2015. A passion for writing and an aspiration to travel with Amtrak for inspiration are the sole criteria for selection. Both emerging and established writers will be considered.

Residencies will be anywhere from 2-5 days, with exceptions for special projects."

http://blog.amtrak.com/amtrakresidency/
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Amtrak Writing Fellowhip

This is awesome!

Comment

It's a great idea... I would just be aware of the other discussions about it.

http://theblackboard.blcklst.com/for...s-residencies/

Read about the Terms and Conditons. (link attached in the above thread)

Comment

Thanks for the above link ^^^ this certainly clouds the initial excitement... Big sigh.

Comment

Two reasons to beware this "opportunity."

1) The fine print. They own the rights to use, alter, and even publish your application (including your work sample) FOREVER. Is a $900 train ticket worth possibly tanking a future deal on your script? SEVERAL agents, managers and lawyers have publicly urged writers NOT to apply for this program. If you enter, write a sample JUST for this program. Otherwise, buy a train ticket (they aren't THAT expensive in advance), and do your own residency--where you retain the sole rights to your work.

2) Bear in mind this is a MARKETING/SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING program for Amtrak. It is NOT a benevolent attempt to help writers. They are specifically looking for people with "significant social media presence." They want people with THOUSANDS of twitter followers, who will TWEET and blog from the train. If that's not you--don't get your hopes up. They're leaning toward bloggers and journalists. It's about getting free publicity for Amtrak--NOT advancing the career of writers.

Comment

owning the submission sample is the real difficult one... how could you submit your best work? they'd own it!

Comment

Wow! Not cool at all! And I had such a romantic idea of applying for this, and writing away as I traveled slowly across the country. Glad I hadn't applied yet.

Comment

You have to look at the submission sample as something that will publicize *you* and *your talent*, so instead of giving away the rights you are using them to advertise your talent and show the whole danged world what a great writer you are (or, whoever subscribes to Sunset Magazine). The great thing about being a writer is you can just write some more great stuff.

Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                X