Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest Result

Allow me to share a quick story. I co-wrote a R-rated comedy and submitted it to the Blacklist. We got two 5s (obviously not the result we were looking for). I still sent it around to a few people because I still believed in the script. We got some decent feedback, i.e., managers/producers saying they liked it and asked us what else we have. After not getting anywhere I put the script away but then decided to send it off to the L.A. Comedy Shorts Film Festival (screenplay division). We got notice this week that out of 500 scripts it finished in the top 3. So I guess my takeaway is that if you feel like you have something special to keep plugging away. Granted we still haven't found someone to make this into a movie but this result gave us confidence going forward. Thanks for reading.

Re: Contest Result

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
    Allow me to share a quick story. I co-wrote a R-rated comedy and submitted it to the Blacklist. We got two 5s (obviously not the result we were looking for). I still sent it around to a few people because I still believed in the script. We got some decent feedback, i.e., managers/producers saying they liked it and asked us what else we have. After not getting anywhere I put the script away but then decided to send it off to the L.A. Comedy Shorts Film Festival (screenplay division). We got notice this week that out of 500 scripts it finished in the top 3. So I guess my takeaway is that if you feel like you have something special to keep plugging away. Granted we still haven't found someone to make this into a movie but this result gave us confidence going forward. Thanks for reading.
    Thanks for sharing, CrissCross -- that is a great story. This whole business -- anything in the humanities, really -- is so subjective. Sometimes I think tenacity is 90% of the battle.

Comment

Great story CrissCross! Hope it gets picked up soon.

Comment

I think people give the Blacklist too much credit. It is not the end all be all of screenplay validity. It is only another way to get seen. I still don't think anything beats networking.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRayRay View Post
          I think people give the Blacklist too much credit. It is not the end all be all of screenplay validity. It is only another way to get seen. I still don't think anything beats networking.
          I believe that the Black List tries harder than most contests (the Nicholl excepted) to make sure that everyone gets a fair read.

However:

At the end of the day, you're talking about someone getting paid around $25 to read your script. One person. Now, in many cases I think that one person probably knows more about what makes a screenplay work than most of the people submitting those screenplays, but it's still just one person.

You should never let your sense of self worth rest in the hands of someone being paid $25 to read your screenplay.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I think the Blacklist is great. But people in these boards and elsewhere cling to it like it's the official word of the Entertainment Industry. It's just an additional way to get it.

I still don't think anything beats networking.

Comment

Working...
            X