NBC COMEDY PLAYGROUND? What do you know? Who OWNS your show?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WaitForIt
    replied
    Re: NBC COMEDY PLAYGROUND? What do you know? Who OWNS your show?

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
    Avoid the lottery mentality (ZOMG! Millions!) Your approach should be: get a job. do well. get another job. repeat.
    Write a book. And by that I mean, just paste this on every page in all kinds of different bold and fancy fonts. Call it ....... something, I don't know. "Best Screenwriting Business Advice Ever."

Leave a comment:

• Ronaldinho
    replied
    Re: NBC COMEDY PLAYGROUND? What do you know? Who OWNS your show?

Originally posted by fouroneone View Post
    I was a little confused about some of the rules etc..

1) Who actually owns your program if you make it to the finals?

I certainly don't want to give away my idea etc in exchange for a whole $30,000. and let someone make potentially millions off of my idea.
    It sure sounds like this is subject to the terms of the WGA's minimum basic agreement. THat is to say, you can't be cut out of participation any more than any other creator can be cut out of participation. You have very limited ability to insist on a huge amount of participation as a first timer.

eg, a friend of mine just sold a pilot to Sundance. I believe that her deal is that she's guaranteed a co-producing credit (not EP, not co-EP, but I'm not 100% sure what it is below that) for two seasons. Of course, that doesn't guarantee any creative input (if Dan Harmon can get fired from Community - still gets the checks, but is forced out creatively) you can sure as hell bet a first-timer can be forced out.

You're not going to get a deal that's meaningfully over scale - but again, that's par for the course for first-timers without a bidding war for the project.

Of course, if you actually deliver a strong product, they're probably going to want you around, at least for a while, so it's not like you're powerless in negotiations.

Avoid the lottery mentality (ZOMG! Millions!) Your approach should be: get a job. do well. get another job. repeat. If you create a show that is a huge hit, you're going to do just fine, since this is a WGA deal. But the simple truth is that by far the most likely positive outcome of this is that you make a pilot, get some attention, get some experience, and set yourself up well for your next job.

Leave a comment:

• NBC COMEDY PLAYGROUND? What do you know? Who OWNS your show?

I was a little confused about some of the rules etc..

1) Who actually owns your program if you make it to the finals?

I certainly don't want to give away my idea etc in exchange for a whole $30,000. and let someone make potentially millions off of my idea.

I noticed they said there would be two pilots.

2) What's the REAL future of this as a series?
    I know this type of contest has been done before and nothing came of the shows that were produced. And of course, I know the obvious answer: ratings.

Thanks for any advice/knowledge.
Working...
X