• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAGE Awards
    replied
    Re: Page International Screenwriting Awards 2014

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
    And people may infer something you didn't intend when you load the question you're asking with a disclaimer that a substitute script would be "coming in at the bottom of the list".
    Sorry, I don't see how that's "loaded." It's not a disclaimer, it's simply a fact. A substituted script would obviously be scoring at the bottom of the list. It's something the writer would know, and it's the crux of the problem.

Doesn't mean it's not a good screenplay! It's still scoring better than the other 400-1200 scripts in its category.

But there's a big question in my mind as to how the writer whose script was substituted would react in those circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing
    replied

Originally posted by PAGE Awards View Post
    But let me ask you this: Would you want to have your script substituted into the Semi-Final Round after the fact, knowing that it was coming in at the bottom of the list?
    Yeah, I have to agree with what the posters above are saying.

I think PAGE is recognized as one of the best-run contests out there. And we do all appreciate the organizers coming to this forum to answer writers' questions (which they don't have to do).

But --

You probably should have thought twice about asking if we would feel okay with having our script bumped up to semifinalist level in the case that another one was disqualified. Mainly for two reasons:

1) If someone just missed the cut, that means their script was pretty close in quality to the one above it (and given the range of subjectivity among readers, may even have been better); and

2) Given how hard it is to break into this industry, no writer in his right mind would feel bad about getting another shot at exposure, especially if the shot occurs because someone else broke the rules.

Oh, and on the topic of rules -- based on your previous post, it seems that when it comes to determining if someone eligible to enter the contest, PAGE utilizes an honor system. So, you trust people to tell the truth when they are self-reporting whether they are below the earnings limit, etc. I can understand doing this at the initial level, since there are so many entrants.

However, not making a proactive effort to confirm eligibility after the QFs are announced seems rather problematic, as I'm guessing at least a few writers out there would be willing to lie in order to get some heat going for their latest script. As of right now, it seems PAGE just has QFs complete an eligibility questionnaire, so it is once again self-reporting, which is subject to dishonesty. I posed a concern of this nature to the Nicholl competition once, and I was assured by the organizers that they check to confirm eligibility after the Quarterfinals are identified (through examining film and TV credits, etc.). That seems like a smart way to conduct disqualifications (in addition to checking sites that post sales/option deals such as DDP and the Scoggins Report).

Of course, I could be wrong in the above paragraph, and PAGE could indeed have such a system in place (it would instill more faith in the whole process if this was clarified on the website).

Leave a comment:

• liverbird
    replied

That bottom of the list script, number 26 would have been the 25th script if the ineligible writer had not entered. I feel thats the point that The Page Awards is missing. And the ineligible writer can still use the semi-finalist placement as an honor. For me, they ultimately still got a good result from cheating even though they will not be read again.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Now I'm sorry I asked!
    Why? Your question was answered.

And people may infer something you didn't intend when you load the question you're asking with a disclaimer that a substitute script would be "coming in at the bottom of the list".

Leave a comment:

• PAGE Awards
    replied

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
    I would also answer that question with a yes. It sounds as though you think the next script would be completely unworthy of going up by one place. Someone had to be the 26th after the top 25. Also you say yourself in the email you send out with results info., that with different readers, who knows if the top 25 would indeed be the same. I can tell you this, I entered a script that one year didn't even get to the QF, the next year it was in the TOP TEN Finals. So it is unfair to make writers feel guilty, unworthy and maybe even embarrassed to be moved up after another writer has been caught cheating.
    Wow, you're very quick to assume the worst of me! I was not implying that the scripts that score next in line are "completely unworthy" at at. Many very good scripts just missed the Top 25 cut this year.

And I do not have either the power or the desire to "make" anybody feel guilty, unworthy or embarrassed. Why on earth would I want to do that?

I was simply asking how you guys would feel about being in that position, since this is something we've never done before. I can imagine that some writers would be grateful for the chance to have their scripts read by the next round of judges. I can also imagine that some writers would feel it was awkward or bittersweet or embarrassing because they'd know that their script didn't make the initial cut. So I was interested in hearing your thoughts about the idea, to see how you'd feel and to try to figure out if this was a new policy we should consider implementing.

Now I'm sorry I asked!

Leave a comment:

• Celtic1
    replied

Agree w/P-Jay. The revised draft makes the difference for me. Otherwise i'd say no. Of course no way to tell if #26 will submit a revision. I would.

Leave a comment:

• liverbird
    replied

I would also answer that question with a yes. It sounds as though you think the next script would be completely unworthy of going up by one place. Someone had to be the 26th after the top 25. Also you say yourself in the email you send out with results info., that with different readers, who knows if the top 25 would indeed be the same. I can tell you this, I entered a script that one year didn't even get to the QF, the next year it was in the TOP TEN Finals. So it is unfair to make writers feel guilty, unworthy and maybe even embarrassed to be moved up after another writer has been caught cheating.

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

... But let me ask you this: Would you want to have your script substituted into the Semi-Final Round after the fact, knowing that it was coming in at the bottom of the list?

Since PAGE allows writers to submit an updated draft at this point, and given that there is a level of subjectivity in judging, not to mention that hope, as they say, springs eternal, I suspect most writers would answer that question with a yes.

Leave a comment:

• PAGE Awards
    replied

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
    If you do not hear back from these six semi-finalists are these spots given to the next Quarter finalists with the highest scores, or if any of them are found ineligible are they removed from the list and someone else put in their place? In other words, are there QF's who might still be in with a chance?
    Good question! In the past when a writer has been disqualified, we have never removed their script from the point it has advanced to and replaced it with another. We've simply removed that script from competition so that it doesn't advance further.

I suppose we could consider swapping in another script for the one that has been disqualified. But let me ask you this: Would you want to have your script substituted into the Semi-Final Round after the fact, knowing that it was coming in at the bottom of the list?

Leave a comment:

• liverbird
    replied

If you do not hear back from these six semi-finalists are these spots given to the next Quarter finalists with the highest scores, or if any of them are found ineligible are they removed from the list and someone else put in their place? In other words, are there QF's who might still be in with a chance?

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing
    replied

Just to reassure you, I did email an eligibility confirmation questionnaire to all of the writers in the Semi-Final Round of competition and this writer has confirmed his eligibility. As ducky says, most of the time when you read about script sales, only a small percentage of the sale price is paid up front as option money. The bulk of the writer's payment is made at the start of production.

And just so everyone understands our process, we obviously do not have the manpower, time or authority to do background checks or scour the bank records of all 6000+ writers who enter the contest. On our entry form, all contestants must check the box affirming that you have read our rules and that you agree to our terms & conditions before you are allowed to enter the contest. In addition, since many contestants do NOT actually read the rules before they enter, during the summer I always send out a reminder message and a confirmation eligibility questionnaire to the writers who are advancing.

When I sent out that reminder message to our Quarter-Finalists this year, I did hear back from three writers who hadn't read the rules before they entered, and because their screenwriting earnings exceeded our limit, we had to remove their scripts from competition.

Thus far, it looks like all of the writers who have advanced to the Semis are eligible; however, I still have not received responses to our eligibility questionnaire from six of our Semi-Finalists, so if you're in the Semis this year and you have not yet received or returned the eligibility questionnaire I sent to you, please email me immediately. Your script will not be eligible to advance further in competition unless I receive that confirmation from you.

Congrats and best of luck to all of you who are on our Semi-Finalists list! From what I hear, there are some really terrific screenplays in the running, and several of our judges are already expressing interest in certain scripts, which bodes well! :-)

Best regards,
    Jen
    Thanks for the clarification

Leave a comment:

• PAGE Awards
    replied

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    Congrats to all who've advanced! Great that you get to enter an updated version.

Was looking over the list and something caught my eye. One of the SFs in the thriller category is Declan O'Dwyer. If you recall, he had a high-profile signing with Energy Entertainment after his spec "Broken Cove" was discovered on the Black List site last year. I could've sworn he sold that script; looked it up and I was right:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...clusive-84201/

This article's from April 2013, way before entries for this year's PAGE started. So just curious as to how it's possible he was allowed to enter the contest. The Rules page says you can't have earned $25,000 or more from screenwriting, so does this mean the script sold for less than that?

Just curious, as I would hate to think that another writer lost a spot in the competition due to some kind of oversight...

Just to reassure you, I did email an eligibility confirmation questionnaire to all of the writers in the Semi-Final Round of competition and this writer has confirmed his eligibility. As ducky says, most of the time when you read about script sales, only a small percentage of the sale price is paid up front as option money. The bulk of the writer's payment is made at the start of production.

And just so everyone understands our process, we obviously do not have the manpower, time or authority to do background checks or scour the bank records of all 6000+ writers who enter the contest. On our entry form, all contestants must check the box affirming that you have read our rules and that you agree to our terms & conditions before you are allowed to enter the contest. In addition, since many contestants do NOT actually read the rules before they enter, during the summer I always send out a reminder message and a confirmation eligibility questionnaire to the writers who are advancing.

When I sent out that reminder message to our Quarter-Finalists this year, I did hear back from three writers who hadn't read the rules before they entered, and because their screenwriting earnings exceeded our limit, we had to remove their scripts from competition.

Thus far, it looks like all of the writers who have advanced to the Semis are eligible; however, I still have not received responses to our eligibility questionnaire from six of our Semi-Finalists, so if you're in the Semis this year and you have not yet received or returned the eligibility questionnaire I sent to you, please email me immediately. Your script will not be eligible to advance further in competition unless I receive that confirmation from you.

Congrats and best of luck to all of you who are on our Semi-Finalists list! From what I hear, there are some really terrific screenplays in the running, and several of our judges are already expressing interest in certain scripts, which bodes well! :-)

Best regards,
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• Concord
    replied

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
    Ten.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Margie Kaptanoglu
    replied

Originally posted by Concord View Post
    Anyone happen to know how many scripts per category will make it to the finals?
    Ten.

Leave a comment:

• Concord
    replied

Anyone happen to know how many scripts per category will make it to the finals?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X