No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Page International Screenwriting Awards 2014

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
    Again, that question was answered. But it's apparent that you thought you knew the answer and was taken aback by the "wrong" answer.

Here's the thing: There is no "problem" with substituting scripts. The same principle is applied in sporting events and in a variety of other contests (just ask Miss America) and though there will always be the courteous thing to say, "I didn't want to win this way", I don't think anyone's ever given up that win.

You make it sound as if there's some ethical debate with doing something like this and that's just not the case. If anything, it's pretty cut and dried and not something to be ashamed of.
    No, it's not that it was the "wrong" answer -- it was the quick assumption that I was posing the question with some sort of derogatory tone, which wasn't my intention at all. Things tend to get very contentious on this forum, and people often jump to the wrong conclusions or assume the worst, and I should know that after all these years. So I realize now that this probably wasn't the right place to have this discussion.

And no, this isn't an ethical debate, it's a policy decision. And it's a decision I don't want to make without thinking through the ramifications and potential blowback. You can say it's not something to be ashamed of, but I'm not entirely sure that the person in that position will feel that way. I would hope they would! I think yours is the correct and logical reaction. It would be a good thing for any writer to have the chance to get their script read by our SF Round judges. As bmc says, one man's 26 is another man's 2, and over the years, many of our Semi-Finalists and Finalists have been optioned or signed by one of our judges, even if the script didn't end up winning the contest.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
      For what it's worth, if I had a screenplay that just missed the semifinals at #26, I would jump at the chance to move into the spot vacated by a disqualified semifinalist. We all know how subjective judging can be (look at the variance in Black List scores). Greg Beal has said in the past that one thing that separates the Nicholl semifinalists from the top ten finalists is that the finalist scripts have at least one reader who falls in love with the script and champions it. How do we know that the #26 script won't find its champion in the semifinalist round?

The PAGE is one of the best contests out there. It's run with integrity and transparency. The fact that writers who advance to the semifinals are permitted to send in a recent draft of the script... that's so amazing. It shows genuine compassion for writers -- God knows we're always re-writing (and hopefully improving) scripts, as well as obsessing over the typos we failed to catch on the first submission.

Just a hunch but I bet the folks at the PAGE are seriously considering the feedback here.
      Thanks very much, L! Yes, we are seriously considering this, which is why I asked the question. It does seem to me like the right thing to do, but I wanted some feedback from writers first. I need to be prepared for the backlash, whatever that might be. Over the years I've learned that some writers have an amazing ability to take things the wrong way and get angry or upset over things I would never expect. (As in this thread!) So I always try to find ways to get input from writers before we make any policy change or try anything new.

For the record, I hope that everyone on the Semi-Finalist list is eligible so that we don't have to replace anyone. And if we ever do, I hope that the writer whose script is substituted reacts the way you guys would.

Comment

How would substitution work with the opportunity to submit a rewritten version at the SF stage? E.g., if a Semifinalist is invalidated a week after SFs are announced, and the 26th entrant is substituted, would number 26 have the opportunity to submit a rewritten version? If so, this would effectively give number 26 more time to finish a rewrite than the other Semifinalists (who are required to submit rewrites within 48 hours after SFs are announced). Some people might get exorcised over that.

Comment

Originally posted by anxt View Post
          How would substitution work with the opportunity to submit a rewritten version at the SF stage? E.g., if a Semifinalist is invalidated a week after SFs are announced, and the 26th entrant is substituted, would number 26 have the opportunity to submit a rewritten version? If so, this would effectively give number 26 more time to finish a rewrite than the other Semifinalists (who are required to submit rewrites within 48 hours after SFs are announced). Some people might get exorcised over that.
          You've got a point, but I can't help feeling that any QuarterFinalist who wanted to submit a new draft if he/she made the SFs had that new draft ready to go by August 15th.

Comment

Good question! You've raised an issue I hadn't considered, and I really appreciate it.

I do believe that a writer whose script is substituted should have an opportunity to submit a rewrite, just like all the other Semi-Finalists, but I would ask them to submit that rewrite just as soon as they were notified their script had advanced.

I think that most of our Quarter-Finalists had their rewrites completed and ready to submit on August 15th, so upon learning that their scripts were out of contention, I suspect most of those writers would probably not have continued rewriting the same script after that. I think most would likely have moved on to other projects. So I don't think the extra week would have given #26 any significant advantage.

What do you think?

Comment

I'm just glad this thread hasn't become a sad parody of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by DickDaring View Post
                I'm just glad this thread hasn't become a sad parody of itself.
                Ah, right, there it is! Just when I start to think we can have a constructive dialogue... Silly me! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by PAGE Awards View Post
                  Good question! You've raised an issue I hadn't considered, and I really appreciate it.

I do believe that a writer whose script is substituted should have an opportunity to submit a rewrite, just like all the other Semi-Finalists, but I would ask them to submit that rewrite just as soon as they were notified their script had advanced.

I think that most of our Quarter-Finalists had their rewrites completed and ready to submit on August 15th, so upon learning that their scripts were out of contention, I suspect most of those writers would probably not have continued rewriting the same script after that. I think most would likely have moved on to other projects. So I don't think the extra week would have given #26 any significant advantage.

What do you think?
                  Yes, I agree. You have the rewritten draft ready to go, find out you didn't make it, and off you go to work on that new script. That's exactly what I did.

I wouldn't be surprised if some writers had just about finished, knew they'd have another 48 hours for a last proofing, and then after learning they didn't make the SFs, didn't bother with that last proofing, so in fact they would have lost that 48 hours. (Again, exactly what I did.)

It wouldn't help this year if you decided to replaced bumped scripts, but in future years you might notify people in 26th and 27th position in each category and ask them to submit a new draft (assuming they had a new one) "just in case."

That would be agony for those writers, of course, but better two weeks of wondering if you've got a shot of ending up in the SFs than no shot at all. And it solves the problem of someone getting what other contestants might feel was unfair advantage. Although this would only become a problem if they progressed to the Finals or OMG! actually won.

Comment

Oh, and a quick PS...

When those scripts didn't get in to the SFs, you might receive outraged e-mails about how you unfairly got their hopes up and how they would rather not have been given the chance if they weren't actually going to get in.

Comment

"The bumped writer would have more time in the unlikely event they kept working on the script, so give them less time to turn the revised script in - 24 hrs from the time you send the e-mail notification. No script, the same draft of the script advances."

That sounds reasonable. I agree that the substituted writer should be allowed to submit a revised script, like the other Semifinalists. It's just another wrinkle to think about, in deciding how to implement the change.

Also, for what it's worth, I SF-ed this year, and I fully used that extra time for revisions -- not all 48 hours, but about 36 of them. Maybe I'm the only one, but I found that extra time invaluable. It was was thoughtful of Page to allow entrants one more opportunity to put their best foot forward.

Comment

Thanks very much for your thoughtful input, guys. I really appreciate it! If anyone has additional ideas/questions on the subject, please feel free to email me directly. I'd be more than happy to discuss.

BTW, for anyone living in Toronto or heading there for the Festival next week, I'm very excited to report that movies by two of our PAGE Award-winning writers are premiering at TIFF this year. THE JUDGE, by 2008 Gold Prize winner Bill Dubuque, kicks off the Festival on Thursday night, September 4, and our 2010 Gold Prize winner MAGGIE, by John Scott III, premieres on September 12. There's a lot of buzz around both films, so if you have the chance, do check them out!

Our past winners are really rockin' and rollin'... In addition to Bill and John's movies, four more of our past winners have films in post-production, one is just wrapping production, several more of our past winners are currently on staff and writing TV series, and I can't even keep track of all the writers who are working on script assignments and have projects under option and in development. Exciting stuff!

From what I'm hearing from our judges, I anticipate many of the winners of this year's contest will soon find themselves in similar positions. :-) Best of luck to all of you who have scripts in the Semi-Finals!
                        Last edited by PAGE Awards; 08-29-2014, 02:18 AM.

Comment

OOPS! Sorry, just read that Lionsgate has acquired MAGGIE and the movie has been pulled from the Festival. Guess we'll have to wait until it's released next year to see it.

http://www.thewrap.com/lionsgate-buy...-movie-maggie/

Comment

Wow! I made the finals!

Comment

I think there may have been some kind of mistake... because I just made the finals.

Let shock, confusion, and cautious optimism commence!
                              "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

Wow! I made the finals!
                                Congrats, Anxt! I'll have a shot of Talisker for you tonight. :-)
                                "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

Working...
                                X