Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Page International Screenwriting Awards 2014

Congrats and good luck to those moving forward.
    I trust you have that polish ready to go.

Comment

Congrats to all who've advanced! Great that you get to enter an updated version.

Was looking over the list and something caught my eye. One of the SFs in the thriller category is Declan O'Dwyer. If you recall, he had a high-profile signing with Energy Entertainment after his spec "Broken Cove" was discovered on the Black List site last year. I could've sworn he sold that script; looked it up and I was right:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...clusive-84201/

This article's from April 2013, way before entries for this year's PAGE started. So just curious as to how it's possible he was allowed to enter the contest. The Rules page says you can't have earned $25,000 or more from screenwriting, so does this mean the script sold for less than that?

Just curious, as I would hate to think that another writer lost a spot in the competition due to some kind of oversight...
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I made it too, with my pilot! Congrats to everyone and good luck with the next round(s!)

Comment

Congrats to those who made it. Guess you're busy this weekend.

Comment

Congratulations to those that advanced!

Comment

I'm in with a family script, which is sort of funny because I swear like a @$#%& and had to @#*&%* that script until it ##*&$%!

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                Congrats to all who've advanced! Great that you get to enter an updated version.

Was looking over the list and something caught my eye. One of the SFs in the thriller category is Declan O'Dwyer. If you recall, he had a high-profile signing with Energy Entertainment after his spec "Broken Cove" was discovered on the Black List site last year. I could've sworn he sold that script; looked it up and I was right:

This article's from April 2013, way before entries for this year's PAGE started. So just curious as to how it's possible he was allowed to enter the contest. The Rules page says you can't have earned $25,000 or more from screenwriting, so does this mean the script sold for less than that?

Just curious, as I would hate to think that another writer lost a spot in the competition due to some kind of oversight...
                It was likely an option (but those are reported as sales) which aren't very much money for the most part.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                  It was likely an option (but those are reported as sales) which aren't very much money for the most part.
                  Oh, okay - thanks.

Comment

Anyone happen to know how many scripts per category will make it to the finals?

Comment

Originally posted by Concord View Post
                      Anyone happen to know how many scripts per category will make it to the finals?
                      Ten.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                        Ten.
                        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post

Just to reassure you, I did email an eligibility confirmation questionnaire to all of the writers in the Semi-Final Round of competition and this writer has confirmed his eligibility. As ducky says, most of the time when you read about script sales, only a small percentage of the sale price is paid up front as option money. The bulk of the writer's payment is made at the start of production.

And just so everyone understands our process, we obviously do not have the manpower, time or authority to do background checks or scour the bank records of all 6000+ writers who enter the contest. On our entry form, all contestants must check the box affirming that you have read our rules and that you agree to our terms & conditions before you are allowed to enter the contest. In addition, since many contestants do NOT actually read the rules before they enter, during the summer I always send out a reminder message and a confirmation eligibility questionnaire to the writers who are advancing.

When I sent out that reminder message to our Quarter-Finalists this year, I did hear back from three writers who hadn't read the rules before they entered, and because their screenwriting earnings exceeded our limit, we had to remove their scripts from competition.

Thus far, it looks like all of the writers who have advanced to the Semis are eligible; however, I still have not received responses to our eligibility questionnaire from six of our Semi-Finalists, so if you're in the Semis this year and you have not yet received or returned the eligibility questionnaire I sent to you, please email me immediately. Your script will not be eligible to advance further in competition unless I receive that confirmation from you.

Congrats and best of luck to all of you who are on our Semi-Finalists list! From what I hear, there are some really terrific screenplays in the running, and several of our judges are already expressing interest in certain scripts, which bodes well! :-)

Best regards,
                          Jen

Comment

Originally posted by PAGE Awards View Post
                            Just to reassure you, I did email an eligibility confirmation questionnaire to all of the writers in the Semi-Final Round of competition and this writer has confirmed his eligibility. As ducky says, most of the time when you read about script sales, only a small percentage of the sale price is paid up front as option money. The bulk of the writer's payment is made at the start of production.

And just so everyone understands our process, we obviously do not have the manpower, time or authority to do background checks or scour the bank records of all 6000+ writers who enter the contest. On our entry form, all contestants must check the box affirming that you have read our rules and that you agree to our terms & conditions before you are allowed to enter the contest. In addition, since many contestants do NOT actually read the rules before they enter, during the summer I always send out a reminder message and a confirmation eligibility questionnaire to the writers who are advancing.

When I sent out that reminder message to our Quarter-Finalists this year, I did hear back from three writers who hadn't read the rules before they entered, and because their screenwriting earnings exceeded our limit, we had to remove their scripts from competition.

Thus far, it looks like all of the writers who have advanced to the Semis are eligible; however, I still have not received responses to our eligibility questionnaire from six of our Semi-Finalists, so if you're in the Semis this year and you have not yet received or returned the eligibility questionnaire I sent to you, please email me immediately. Your script will not be eligible to advance further in competition unless I receive that confirmation from you.

Congrats and best of luck to all of you who are on our Semi-Finalists list! From what I hear, there are some really terrific screenplays in the running, and several of our judges are already expressing interest in certain scripts, which bodes well! :-)

Best regards,
                            Jen
                            Thanks for the clarification

Comment

If you do not hear back from these six semi-finalists are these spots given to the next Quarter finalists with the highest scores, or if any of them are found ineligible are they removed from the list and someone else put in their place? In other words, are there QF's who might still be in with a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
                                If you do not hear back from these six semi-finalists are these spots given to the next Quarter finalists with the highest scores, or if any of them are found ineligible are they removed from the list and someone else put in their place? In other words, are there QF's who might still be in with a chance?
                                Good question! In the past when a writer has been disqualified, we have never removed their script from the point it has advanced to and replaced it with another. We've simply removed that script from competition so that it doesn't advance further.

I suppose we could consider swapping in another script for the one that has been disqualified. But let me ask you this: Would you want to have your script substituted into the Semi-Final Round after the fact, knowing that it was coming in at the bottom of the list?

Comment

Working...
                                X