No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio tv writing programs - additional material

Hey gang,

Does anyone know which of the studio programs request additional samples if you make it to the later rounds? And if so, what did they request - spec of an existing show or an original?

Trying to get a sense of what I need to have ready to go come September in case I'm one of the lucky few to advance.

Specifically wondering about these:
    CBS Mentoring
    WB Writers' Workshop
    NBC Writers on the Verge

Very curious about Disney/ABC as well, but I'm sure that's new territory as this is the first year that they've required an original pilot along with a spec.
    Of course, if anyone out there happens to have some insider information on this, feel free share that as well!

Thanks!
    Louisa

Re: Studio tv writing programs - additional material

Usually it's an original. Some of the programs went ahead and asked for them at the time of submission -- CBS and ABC/Disney I believe.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

You might not have until September. Last year, the WB workshop let me know in Aug that I'd made the top 5% but hadn't advanced further. I imagine that was also the time they requested further material from those that had.

(Aug. 23rd, if we want to be specific.)
      "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

Originally posted by Willoughby View Post
        You might not have until September. Last year, the WB workshop let me know in Aug that I'd made the top 5% but hadn't advanced further. I imagine that was also the time they requested further material from those that had.

Nickelodeon was august too. And they don't accept originals as follow-ups.
        "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
        - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Back in 2008, I made the top 5%. WB invited those of us in to talk about how our scripts were very close and on the right track.

Is WB still calling in the top 5%'era for a meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex11 View Post
            Back in 2008, I made the top 5%. WB invited those of us in to talk about how our scripts were very close and on the right track.

Is WB still calling in the top 5%'era for a meeting?
            They were as of last year. It was one of the most considerate things I've ever seen in this industry - and much appreciated!

The bits of advice I remember: feel free to not update your essay every year, and they are tired of New Girl specs where she gets a dog and Walking Dead specs where they come upon a strange new band of survivors.
            "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

It's about time for notifications to start -- anyone heard anything?

Comment

one of my writers group members was asked to send a second sample to WB this past week

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  one of my writers group members was asked to send a second sample to WB this past week
                  I am both relieved and saddened to hear that. At least I can check that off the 'maybe we'll hear back soon' list.

I can't help but notice the scripts I wrote before doing the UCLA program have gotten more traction than the UCLA spec I've been sending out. It's making me wonder if my stories really are larger in scope when I don't beat-sheet and outline things first.

Or maybe the competition's just tougher this year and I shouldn't look for a reason to stop outlining things. Le sigh.

Comment

I am both relieved and saddened to hear that. At least I can check that off the 'maybe we'll hear back soon' list.

I can't help but notice the scripts I wrote before doing the UCLA program have gotten more traction than the UCLA spec I've been sending out. It's making me wonder if my stories really are larger in scope when I don't beat-sheet and outline things first.

Or maybe the competition's just tougher this year and I shouldn't look for a reason to stop outlining things. Le sigh.
                    That's a tough one. There are so many variables (the quality of your competition is a major one, as is the ever-growing number of people seeking entry into the programs).

Comment

I've grappled with this problem and think there is such a thing as a script being overwritten. I notice, in general, I get way more traction from scripts that 1) had a shitty outline at best, and 2) didn't go through thousands of revisions.
                      I think those scripts have more of a flow. They feel energetic. But scripts for which I produced meticulous outlines laden with jokes and dialogue... by the time I got to the script after rounds and rounds of notes, the script would just feel tired.

So yeah, I hear ya.

But also, speaking of subjectivity, my Modern Family spec a couple years ago (which had no formal outline, btw) got me in to the Nickelodeon program and is loved by my agents; but that same year I didn't hear a peep out of the other fellowships. So... who knows what makes someone tick.
                      Last edited by callalily; 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Just got an email officially rejecting me from the WB writer's workshop based on my New Girl spec.

Ah well, I feel more inclined to focus on screenplays right now anyway; I also found out I am one of the 30 finalists in Scriptapalooza's screenplay competition, so I'm not feeling too bad.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Does anyone happen to know if the CBS Mentoring Program has contacted all finalists?

Thanks1

Comment

Working...
                          X