Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any upcoming pitchfests?

Hey, I'm just wading through information about different pitchfests (one word or two?) and I just thought it might be a little simpler to ask if anyone knows of a good one coming up?

I keep finding pitchfests I just missed.

Re: Any upcoming pitchfests?

Fade In has one in November.
    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

question... with so many great avenues/contests to get you scripts noticed these days, why not just write it, and send to those? do people still get good value out of these pitchfests? And if so, what do you feel is the best thing about doing them?

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
        question... with so many great avenues/contests to get you scripts noticed these days, why not just write it, and send to those? do people still get good value out of these pitchfests? And if so, what do you feel is the best thing about doing them?
        I went to two pitchfests in 2012: the Screenwriters World Conference in New York, and the Great American Pitchfest in L.A. The best things about them were as follows:

1) The classes/panels -- they were really informative and it was great hearing straight from the mouths of pros and reps.

2) The networking opportunities -- it was cool to meet new screenwriters, share experiences, and form relationships.

3) The opportunity to practice pitching -- these are pretty much the only opportunities for newbies to speak to industry people in person (besides general conferences/festivals like AFF), so it's good to get a sense of how they react as you're trying to sell them your story.

I was very glad to have had the experience of going to them. However, I haven't been to one since. This is largely because the main reason for going, getting your story out there, can largely be accomplished online now, through sites like Virtual Pitchfest and Black List (both of through which I've gotten numerous reads). Also, unless you live in the area where it's being held, I'm not sure the costs are usually worth it (airfare, hotels, food, etc.).

I think the pitchfests are of greatest use to people who prefer to pitch their stories verbally/in person. For example, I have a friend who hates writing query letters, and thinks his personality helps sell his work better than his written words, so he religiously attends the events. That said, I've heard of very few success stories coming out of them -- I get the impression that few people get read requests, and that it doesn't really improve your chances significantly over online pitching. If anyone is aware of any prominent successes coming out of pitchfest read requests, would love to know.
        Last edited by UpandComing; 09-22-2014, 12:14 PM.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Great POV... Thanks.

I like how you say lot of the benefits can be found outside of just the pitch part... classes, panels, meeting others, etc... Like in Austin, those are such great things... Smart of the pitchfests to build as much other stuff around it as they can, since the pitch part doesn't hold as much allure as it used to, when there were less avenues to reach the industry.

Comment

I used to like Fade In Skype Pitch Fest, because you can do it from home. Have done it three times, and averaged 60-70 % requests, which of course got me excited for a while, until I did not hear back from most of those pitched (who had requested a copy of the script sent), and no sales or offers of representation were made.

However, the last time I did this pitch fest, fade in had insinuated themselves in a weird way between the pitcher and the pitched companies.

I had one company ask me to send them as many of my scripts as I wanted to (I had six then, I attempted to send them 3). The fade -in go between freaked, and refused to forward my e-mail to the company. The company eventually only received one of my scripts.

Just very strange, as if Fade-In was trying to be an ad hoc manager, but, with none of the benefits (for the writer) of having a manager ... just the drawbacks.

So, no longer recommend this pitch fest.

Comment

Working...
            X