Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has tips for attending Austin?

I posted some thoughts on my blog. One of them is here - http://www.bayareascreenwriters.org/...gain/#more-411.

Happy to talk more via PM or here.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
      I posted some thoughts on my blog. One of them is here - http://www.bayareascreenwriters.org/...gain/#more-411.

Happy to talk more via PM or here.
      I think this is Justin's blog post where I am quoted.

I basically said the same as the very eloquent, practical post above.

Be polite, a sponge, active, friendly, and be ready to take the spirit back with you to the "real world" because if you're serious about being a professional screenwriter ... you'll need it.

Whether you've written 1 script or 10, Austin is amazing. I've done 6-8 L.A. trips for the Creative Screening Expo (RIP) and this is my 4th AFF.

The Chili Peppers used to talk about creating music together as tapping into the cosmos ... waiting for the wave to appear ... and then riding it.

Do THAT. And you'll have an amazing event.

I'm the John Travolta look-a-like (but better looking) in plaid short sleeve shirts hanging around the Driskill bar with hot women and a few pro's.

Come say hi.
      a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
        Go to the Driskill, drop a couple hundred buying rounds for everyone, make sure they chant your name when they do their shots, get wrecked yourself, make a scene, start a fight, go out in cuffs.

This goes triple for women.

No. Do all of that up until the law breaking...not in Texas.

They have special detainment centers set up during ACL and AFF for out of towners who break the law. The first year I swore I'd never go back.

But that one prison guard was just sooooo nice to me. Big Bear.

The second year I got locked up, I discovered he had multiple inmates he was romancing. It was heart breaking.

And the female prison guard just didn't do it for me anymore. Not after Big Bear.

So I stopped breaking the law in year 3. It's a much nicer experience.
        a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

hahaha (RichMike)...

see films, go to great sessions, make friends... let the business come to you, don't force it...

Comment

Always good advice, RichMike!
            www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
            http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Too late for this year, but I'll be doing an article on "how to Austin" for Creative Screenwriting.
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Tips:

-- wear layers -- it's freezing inside
                -- don't wait for the bus to the BBQ
                -- if offered, take the granola bars

More to follow...

Comment

I'd argue that you should take the bus to the BBQ. You always meet really interesting people on the bus and you can chit chat with them and then you might have someone to eat with. I love the BBQ bus.

Other advice: If you're the kind of person who gets overwhelmed with crowds, be okay with that -- it can get really crowded, especially Saturday. It's okay take an hour or two off and go relax. Maybe a short time a couch in the Driskill is all you need or maybe you'll want to walk down South Congress and go shopping, maybe take a walk along Town Lake. Then you'll be re-charged and ready for the next panel or party.

Also, be sure to see something at an Alamo Drafthouse while you're here, especially if you've never been.

If you're international and/or staying a long time and looking for some sights to see:
                  The Bullock State History Museum is very nice and within walking distance: http://www.thestoryoftexas.com
                  Town Lake/Lady Bird Lake is a great place for a run. You can also hike in the greenbelt.
                  There are gazillions of Mexican Freetailed Bats - walk South on Congress toward the Radisson and hang out on the lawn there (or get a drink) by Town Lake around dusk -- when the bats emerge from under the bridge it's very Scooby Doo.
                  Lots of cool little stores and shops on the other end of South Congress. Google Tesoros, Mi Casa, Allen Boots, Uncommon Objects.
                  See some music! Austin is the live music capitol of the world. Antone's, Mohawk, Stubb's, Continental Club -- there are tons of great places. If you like country, go to the Broken Spoke.

If you have a car:
                  Hamilton Pool maybe 45 minutes away, gorgeous lagoon/waterfall swimming hole
                  Enchanted Rock about an hour away, can be combined with a trip to Fredericksburg/Hill Country -- gorgeous Sedona-esque rock dome to climb/hike around.
                  San Antonio - Alamo, River Walk, awesome Mexican restaurants and such. It's closer to an hour and a half and it's quite a big city.
                  Last edited by cvolante; 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I WOULD have taken the bus, but it didn't show up for half an hour. So rather than spending the time waiting in line, I (and a bunch of other people) walked. It's only about 10 min; would have walked sooner if I realized how close it was.

Anyway, great festival!

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                      I'd argue that you should take the bus to the BBQ. You always meet really interesting people on the bus and you can chit chat with them and then you might have someone to eat with. I love the BBQ bus.

Other advice: If you're the kind of person who gets overwhelmed with crowds, be okay with that -- it can get really crowded, especially Saturday. It's okay take an hour or two off and go relax. Maybe a short time a couch in the Driskill is all you need or maybe you'll want to walk down South Congress and go shopping, maybe take a walk along Town Lake. Then you'll be re-charged and ready for the next panel or party.

Also, be sure to see something at an Alamo Drafthouse while you're here, especially if you've never been.

If you're international and/or staying a long time and looking for some sights to see:
                      The Bullock State History Museum is very nice and within walking distance: http://www.thestoryoftexas.com
                      Town Lake/Lady Bird Lake is a great place for a run. You can also hike in the greenbelt.
                      There are gazillions of Mexican Freetailed Bats - walk South on Congress toward the Radisson and hang out on the lawn there (or get a drink) by Town Lake around dusk -- when the bats emerge from under the bridge it's very Scooby Doo.
                      Lots of cool little stores and shops on the other end of South Congress. Google Tesoros, Mi Casa, Allen Boots, Uncommon Objects.
                      See some music! Austin is the live music capitol of the world. Antone's, Mohawk, Stubb's, Continental Club -- there are tons of great places. If you like country, go to the Broken Spoke.

If you have a car:
                      Hamilton Pool maybe 45 minutes away, gorgeous lagoon/waterfall swimming hole
                      Enchanted Rock about an hour away, can be combined with a trip to Fredericksburg/Hill Country -- gorgeous Sedona-esque rock dome to climb/hike around.
                      San Antonio - Alamo, River Walk, awesome Mexican restaurants and such. It's closer to an hour and a half and it's quite a big city.
                      This.

I had my car, but didn't want to mess with the valet. Cabs are very reasonable (4$ to the barbecue if you don't want risk your life walking past the welfare office).

I took the barbecue bus back, BTW, and had a riotous chat with my neighbor.

Comment

Having now been, my tip for those going for the first time would be this:
                        Drink less on Friday.

Thanks for the suggestions etc. Looking forward to next year.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                          I WOULD have taken the bus, but it didn't show up for half an hour. So rather than spending the time waiting in line, I (and a bunch of other people) walked. It's only about 10 min; would have walked sooner if I realized how close it was.

Anyway, great festival!
                          As the line kept getting shorter, we figured some buses had come -- only to find that people had left the line to find their own way over. We ended up driving.

Bus home was quick.

But otherwise, yes -- great festival!

Comment

I'm hoping to attend AFF this year. I've already started documenting my journey to get there.

ROAD TO AUSTIN SERIES

Comment

Here's the article I wrote:

http://creativescreenwriting.com/com...film-festival/

Comment

Working...
                              X