No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the best of 2015

Figure I start it off here.

Can we make a list of everyones TOP 5 fellowships/Contest you guys planning on entering in 2015. Not really looking for a debate just list. Not sure if this post is allowed. But figured id see what everyone was going for.

Goodluck

Happy Festivus to all

Re: Making the best of 2015

Originally posted by 4iiii View Post
    Not really looking for a debate
    You realize this is the internet, right?
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
    Dave Barry

Comment

Nicholl, Austin, trackingb, Sundance

Comment

Austin, Nicholl, Sundance, ScreenCraft and all TV fellowships.

Comment

I'd add The Tracking Board.

Comment

PAGE and Nicholl.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by DarkKnight(OfTheSoul)
              No.
              I said no debate but yes this is the internet. Would love to know the reasoning as why not.

Comment

For myself

Page
                Austin
                Nichols
                TrackingB TV contest.
                All Fellowships

and Cinestory

Comment

I have a question that I think ties in with this thread.

I started entering contests in 2012 through 2014 in hopes of using a high placement to attract a read, leading to landing a manager.

I did well in a dozen contests (with as many scripts) -- made it to the quarters in all but one and went to the finals in several (including Page) and even got a second place finish in another.

Didn't land a manager though. But listing contest successes (I think) got me some reads.

Late this year I finally got hip-pocketed by a major manager (though he doesn't like using that term but, hey, it is what it is) based on a single action thriller script which he firmly believes he can sell.

But Big Manager's not interested in any of my other scripts at this point.

Ironically, that script is the one that never placed in anything though I thought it was the most commercial of the bunch. I fully understand subjectivity based on my experiences over the last 2+ years.

So... for those of you entering contests -- are you doing so to land a manager like I was?

Are you entering for the feedback?

For the validation?

For the possibility that a high enough placement will garner reads?

For the prizes? (I admit I liked all goody-bag prizes -- I got a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have purchased on my own).

See, I don't know what to do in regards to contests now. I had planned to enter a new batch of scripts but... well, I'm in limbo, I guess.

Would you still pursue the contest route if you were in my shoes?

I do wish all of you a prosperous 2015 in the fun (but often expensive) world of screenwriting contests!

Comment

Nicholl
                    Tracking B
                    Tracking Board
                    Austin
                    All fellowships

@Cooper
                    If you have a manager who is only lukewarm on reping you -- it's never a bad idea to keep entering contests. If you win one of them, especially something like the Nicholl you will only draw more attention to yourself. That being said given your situation, I don't think you should enter anything but the most prestigious contests (probably just Nicholl & Fellowships really...).
                    Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Originally posted by CameronAlexander View Post
                      @Cooper
                      If you have a manager who is only lukewarm on reping you -- it's never a bad idea to keep entering contests. If you win one of them, especially something like the Nicholl you will only draw more attention to yourself. That being said given your situation, I don't think you should enter anything but the most prestigious contests (probably just Nicholl & Fellowships really...).
                      Thanks, Cameron, good suggestion!

Comment

PAGE

That's the only one I know for certain I will enter. My last script with them did well (finalist) and my current is an order of magnitude stronger. It might just be a case of famous last words, but it still makes me optimistic.

On top of that, the fellowships and perhaps Fresh Voices or Pilot Launch.

I'll be spending more time trying to be hired by contests than submitting this year, I suspect. After six years reading just for Final Draft I'm thinking of adding another contest to the workload, if I can.

Good luck, everyone!
                        "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

For the last 18 months, I've only been writing TV pilots (decided specs were no longer worth the effort).

So with that in mind, here are the three contests I'm definitely planning to apply to this year (for full disclosure I've listed past results):

(1) Tracking Board Launch Pad Pilot Contest

Past Results: I was a Top 25 Semifinalist this year. This did not get me repped (unlike most of my fellow Semifinalists), though it did get me many read requests, so that's probably due to the intrinsic oddness of my sci-fi sitcom pilot. Also, the guy who runs it has been VERY supportive.

Anyway, two objective reasons I think the Tracking Board is better than trackingb, despite their similarly high costs, is that the Tracking Board guarantees two reads (which I think is particularly important for comedies), and spotlights 25 Semifinalists as opposed to the trackingb's 5 finalists.

(2) Austin Film Festival Screenplay & Teleplay Competition

Past Results: I made the 2nd round with a Big Bang Theory spec in 2013. I went 0 for 3 this past year.

Again, I like that Austin guarantees two reads, and I also like that they send you reviewer notes if you advance to the second round. Also, entry fees are pretty cheap.

Note: A friend of mine made the final three in Austin TV drama spec category, and nothing much ever came of it. This is partly why henceforth I only plan to submit pilots to online contests.

(3) Final Draft Big Break Contest

Past Results: Did not place in 2013 with my Big Bang Theory spec, and made the quarterfinals this year with my sci-fi sitcom pilot.

The main reason I entered this contest is that friends who made the finals said it got them a lot of reads for their pilot. Also, if you submit early enough entry fees are pretty reasonable.

Comment

I think the best any contest can do is sort the entries into four piles: awful, not very good, quite good, and outstanding. I suspect that the first three piles are all pretty big - and that the last pile is quite often empty. Which is why a quite good script can win one contest and not even make the quarter finals in another - and why most winning scripts never get made, even most Nicholl winning scripts.

If you have a truly outstanding script then, hopefully, you will win whatever contest you enter. However, on the assumption you have (at best) a quite good script, it may be worth while paying attention to how the contest is judged. To win the Nicholl, your quite good script has to please a very large number of different judges, so breadth of appeal is important. In Bluecat, by contrast, as long as the first round judges put your script in the quite good pile, it only has to please Gordy Hoffman, so good scripts with a narrower appeal probably stand a better chance than in Nicholl.

Comment

Is there any point entering a niche art house drama in PAGE? Since they list potential commercial success as one of their scoring criteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X