• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opie
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2015...

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    My script also didn't advance. Still very pleased with the SF finish.
    Congrats PJ, even though you didn't advance -- keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• AE35-Unit
    Regular

• AE35-Unit
    replied

Your script deserved being in it, P-Jay. Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
    My script did not advance to the finals. However, I must say I am very honored to have placed in the semifinals and very grateful to Nicholl for the thrill ride in receiving the validation - it means more than you know. And I'm humbled.
    My script also didn't advance. Still very pleased with the SF finish.

Leave a comment:

• opie
    replied

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
    My script did not advance to the finals. However, I must say I am very honored to have placed in the semifinals and very grateful to Nicholl for the thrill ride in receiving the validation - it means more than you know. And I'm humbled.
    Well put, Steve. See you on the big screen someday soon.
    Last edited by opie; 09-02-2015, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AE35-Unit
    Regular

• AE35-Unit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing

• UpandComing
    replied

*Sigh*, I'm done. Go brood in a cave somewhere, DarkKnight.

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing

• UpandComing
    replied

Originally posted by DarkKnight(OfTheSoul)
    Jerry Seinfeld, The Atlantic, Bill Maher, Chris Rock are on the other side of the issue. No sexism here. Just a "micro-aggression" mishandled by both the writer and the Nicholl, and now the media.
    Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Maher, and Chris Rock have weighed in on the Nicholl matter? Awesome!

And for the record, I've never commented on whether the comments were sexist. I've only said that at the very least, they were unprofessional (as have BSR and Emily).
    UpandComing
    Last edited by UpandComing; 08-28-2015, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• opie
    replied

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    At first I was gonna jump on the "bash the writer" bandwagon based on the initial set of posts on here, but then I paused to actually read through all the Facebook posts, articles, etc., and all the anger directed at her just didn't make sense to me.
    At first I was gonna jump on the "bash the Nicholl" bandwagon based on the initial set of posts on Facebook, but then I paused to actually read the Nicholl mea culpa, and see the absurd steps taken since by the writer and/or entourage to throw Nicholl under the bus, get people fired, publish articles in the press for personal exposure and get representation, and all of that anger directed at the competition just didn't make sense to me.

The lesson here is that there are often ways to achieve your goals without getting there at the expense of others. It's worth the effort in the long run.
    Last edited by opie; 08-28-2015, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing

• UpandComing
    replied

Thanks, Scriptonian and BKDodger

At first I was gonna jump on the "bash the writer" bandwagon based on the initial set of posts on here, but then I paused to actually read through all the Facebook posts, articles, etc., and all the anger directed at her just didn't make sense to me. I'm comforted by the fact that prominent voices such as Bitter Script Reader, Emily Blake, and Nicholl itself are on our side.

Leave a comment:

• opie
    replied

Originally posted by BKDodger View Post
    Too funny how people are referring to her leaving a comment on the FB page as "going nuclear."
    Or funnier yet how one person's desire for personal exposure is cheered on by some as a victory against sexism. Too bad there may be negative consequences for the rest of us, including those who regularly fight for the same cause.

Leave a comment:

• BKDodger
    replied

Originally posted by Scriptonian View Post
    Admire all of your posts in this thread, UpandComing. Bravo!
    Agreed.

Too funny how people are referring to her leaving a comment on the FB page as "going nuclear." With a bazooka even. Yesterday I left a two-star Yelp review for a dry cleaner who shrunk all my sweaters to child-sized. Didn't realize I was launching a heat-seeking missile.

Also, who's even looking at the FB page besides us nerdy, obsessive, writers? (Overall it's a good page - very well curated. My favorite is when they post the first page of various scripts!)

Leave a comment:

• Scriptonian
    User

• Scriptonian
    replied

Admire all of your posts in this thread, UpandComing. Bravo!

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing

• UpandComing
    replied

Not getting back into that debate. Already made my arguments in that respect clear.

Leave a comment:

• opie
    replied

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    She's not "dragging Nicholl through the mud."
    Koller's unprofessional decision to publicize her grievance without first going directly to Nicholl leadership has done exactly that. Look at the Mashable article, or now the Chicago Tribune article published today, entitled: "Sexist script notes exposed in screenwriting contest run by Oscars organization."

I hope we agree that the Nicholl mea culpa published within a few hours of Koller's initial post should have satisfied her concern, if resolving the issue was truly her priority. Her actions before and since then suggest otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing

• UpandComing
    replied

Originally posted by opie View Post
    As is Koller's (and others) ongoing gratuitous dragging of Nicholl through the mud.
    She's not "dragging Nicholl through the mud." Show me a single quote where she criticizes the organization as a whole. Go ahead.

She's just responding to media inquiries about a troublesome exchange that took place in a public forum. And criticizing a) the reader who gave her the offending notes and b) the Nicholl Facebook rep who gave an insincere apology.

There are certainly people participating in a witch hunt against Nicholl. I don't think she's one of them, but her post clearly motivated many of them to go on that hunt.

There are also people clearly participating in a witch hunt against her. And frankly, it's just sad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X