Nicholl 2015...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Nicholl 2015...

    love the Nicholl time of year... congrats to the QFs...

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Nicholl 2015...

      Originally posted by Bunker View Post
      If anyone got dinged and needs some encouragement on the subjective nature of the process...

      Last year, I had a script make it to the Top 50. It was tantalizingly close to being a Finalist. I figured there was nothing to lose (other than $40) to throw it in again this year. Maybe it would get the lucky breaks that could push it into the Finals, or perhaps even a Fellowship.

      And today the script got... nothing.

      No quarterfinals.

      No "Two positive reads."

      No "Gold star for effort!"

      Nothing.

      To have made it into the Top 50, that script had to receive many, many positive reads. To get nowhere, that script needed to receive two "meh" reads. That's indicative of the industry - It takes many, many people to like a script before it moves anywhere. It takes one or two people to be lukewarm to kill it.

      Oh well. Onward!
      May I know the genre of your script? Maybe some genres illicit more varied responses than others? Like Sci-fi perhaps?

      I placed in top 10% also (same as PAGE) but fell short by 2-6 points, whatever that means I have no idea.

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Nicholl 2015...

        1st attempt... aaaannnd I'm out.
        Congrats and best of luck to those moving on!
        It's an unbelievable accomplishment when you look at the numbers.🎉

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Nicholl 2015...

          The unexpected email was the cherry on top of my week. Didn't make it but I got one positive read. Good luck to those who got through. I'm going to drown my sorrows in cheese.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Nicholl 2015...

            I, too, was very surprised at the early notification. As others have said, I hadn't even begun the daily worry routine that usually consumes every waking minute of that last week of July. My sincerest congratulations to all who made it to the quarterfinals. That is a fantastic accomplishment, in and of itself, and I wish each and every one of you the highest success. In my own case, while I didn't make it to that level, I did improve on my score from last year, so I'm happy with that.

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Nicholl 2015...

              Congrats to all the QFs, well done!
              "Reserving rights to comment and make changes."
              Hollywood producer

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Nicholl 2015...

                Likewise -- great job, guys!!
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Nicholl 2015...

                  Congrats to the quarterfinalists!

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Nicholl 2015...

                    When I opened that email Sunday morning, I peed my pants a little.
                    We gain our innocence by taking yours.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Nicholl 2015...

                      Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
                      When I opened that email Sunday morning, I peed my pants a little.
                      How is that any different from a typical Sunday morning for you?

                      Congrats, Steve!
                      .
                      sigpic
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      10,000+ Screenplays
                      DD Thread Facebook
                      [email protected]

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Nicholl 2015...

                        Oh eat me. Hey thanks, man. If it hadn't been for your guidance it just wouldn't be. (And no he didn't pay me to say that).
                        We gain our innocence by taking yours.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Nicholl 2015...

                          Congratulations to all the QFs. As for me, I got 2 positive reads for my script. I understand the scoring system behind it but where would that place my script? Should I consider that as a mini achievement and work on improving the script? Would 2 positive reads mean that it's ready to get 'positive' scores for the Blacklist?
                          I entered late and am now wondering if I should spend the additional $40 on reader comments or save it for other contests. The curiosity is killing though.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Nicholl 2015...

                            Originally posted by Kelvin Jayaram View Post
                            Congratulations to all the QFs. As for me, I got 2 positive reads for my script. I understand the scoring system behind it but where would that place my script? Should I consider that as a mini achievement and work on improving the script? Would 2 positive reads mean that it's ready to get 'positive' scores for the Blacklist?
                            I entered late and am now wondering if I should spend the additional $40 on reader comments or save it for other contests. The curiosity is killing though.
                            Congrats all! Not just to the QFs, but to all the 7,442 brave souls who accomplished something just by finishing a script and sending it into the world.

                            I got positive ratings across the board but missed the cutoff to advance. The fact that I got the positive ratings was shock enough...

                            To answer your question Kelvin, I wouldn't get too hung up on any of the extras, honestly. I ordered comments because I think they'd be valuable and I trust the opinion of the readers that the Nicholl employs, but how you feel about it is obviously up to you.

                            The script I entered has done really well Blacklist rating-wise already for me and has placed in/prompted invitations to other fests and events. And I loves me some feedback- I get as much non-contest feedback as I can- so it really depends what you want from the experience.

                            But, yes, this is an accomplishment. Enjoy it, no matter where you land number-wise.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Nicholl 2015...

                              Congrats to everyone who did well this year! Whether that be through makeing the QF list, getting on one's previous scores, or just having the gumption to finish and script and the bravery to put it out there.

                              So proud of my fellow DDers!
                              "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Nicholl 2015...

                                Originally posted by eireu2 View Post
                                Congrats all! Not just to the QFs, but to all the 7,442 brave souls who accomplished something just by finishing a script and sending it into the world.

                                I got positive ratings across the board but missed the cutoff to advance. The fact that I got the positive ratings was shock enough...

                                To answer your question Kelvin, I wouldn't get too hung up on any of the extras, honestly. I ordered comments because I think they'd be valuable and I trust the opinion of the readers that the Nicholl employs, but how you feel about it is obviously up to you.

                                The script I entered has done really well Blacklist rating-wise already for me and has placed in/prompted invitations to other fests and events. And I loves me some feedback- I get as much non-contest feedback as I can- so it really depends what you want from the experience.

                                But, yes, this is an accomplishment. Enjoy it, no matter where you land number-wise.
                                Eireu, Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X