No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2015...

Some Last Minute Nicholl Tips

With about 40 hours remaining until the Academy Nicholl Fellowships May 1 Final Deadline at 11:59 pm PT, just wanted to offer a few tips and to be available to answer any questions.

If you're planning to submit in the last few hours, you might want to fill the application out in advance. You could even test upload the current draft of your script to make sure that all is working properly (as you can upload again and again until you make the credit card payment).

Please remove your name and other identifying information from your script prior to creating your PDF (WGA or LoC registration numbers are okay, though not required). If you forget, don't panic, as we check every PDF during processing and remove names, etc. as necessary.

Having a solid log line written prior to filling out the application may be helpful. Log lines are not seen by readers or judges but are quite useful as we assign scripts.

When filling out the application, select the appropriate primary genre and add subgenres and/or genre modifiers that best describe your script. Scripts are directed to or away from readers based initially on genre (and then on the log line).

The title page does not count as a page (which only really matters to those submitting a 160-page script).

The Nicholl Fellowships is a feature film competition. Please don't submit anything that would not be considered a feature screenplay. TV episodes, plays and novels will not fare well in the competition.

Even if you have obtained the rights or the work is in the public domain, adaptations are not eligible for the Nicholl competition.

Collaborations must be the equal work of a writing team from story through screenplay. Scripts in which one writer provides the story and another the script or one the story and two write the script are not eligible for the Nicholl competition.

One note on payments for writers outside the US: credit cards seem to work most often; debit cards don't always seem to work. If you think you may run into payment issues, try to enter today or during the day tomorrow, so that someone will be in the office to provide assistance. Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card and American Express are accepted. Sorry but we don't accept Maestro and cannot accept payments through PayPal.

If you have any questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer promptly. Or shoot an email to Nicholl at Oscars.org. Payment questions should definitely be asked via email.

To reach the Application, Rules and FAQs, visit - http://www.oscars.org/nicholl.

Additional information about the competition and screenwriting in general can be found at - https://www.facebook.com/nichollfellowships. The page is open to everyone.

Comment

Bon chance, mes amis!

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        Some Last Minute Nicholl Tips

With about 40 hours remaining until the Academy Nicholl Fellowships May 1 Final Deadline at 11:59 pm PT, just wanted to offer a few tips and to be available to answer any questions.

If you're planning to submit in the last few hours, you might want to fill the application out in advance. You could even test upload the current draft of your script to make sure that all is working properly (as you can upload again and again until you make the credit card payment).

Please remove your name and other identifying information from your script prior to creating your PDF (WGA or LoC registration numbers are okay, though not required). If you forget, don't panic, as we check every PDF during processing and remove names, etc. as necessary.

Having a solid log line written prior to filling out the application may be helpful. Log lines are not seen by readers or judges but are quite useful as we assign scripts.

When filling out the application, select the appropriate primary genre and add subgenres and/or genre modifiers that best describe your script. Scripts are directed to or away from readers based initially on genre (and then on the log line).

The title page does not count as a page (which only really matters to those submitting a 160-page script).

The Nicholl Fellowships is a feature film competition. Please don't submit anything that would not be considered a feature screenplay. TV episodes, plays and novels will not fare well in the competition.

Even if you have obtained the rights or the work is in the public domain, adaptations are not eligible for the Nicholl competition.

Collaborations must be the equal work of a writing team from story through screenplay. Scripts in which one writer provides the story and another the script or one the story and two write the script are not eligible for the Nicholl competition.

One note on payments for writers outside the US: credit cards seem to work most often; debit cards don't always seem to work. If you think you may run into payment issues, try to enter today or during the day tomorrow, so that someone will be in the office to provide assistance. Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card and American Express are accepted. Sorry but we don't accept Maestro and cannot accept payments through PayPal.

If you have any questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer promptly. Or shoot an email to Nicholl at Oscars.org. Payment questions should definitely be asked via email.

To reach the Application, Rules and FAQs, visit - http://www.oscars.org/nicholl.

Additional information about the competition and screenwriting in general can be found at - https://www.facebook.com/nichollfellowships. The page is open to everyone.
        Hey Greg -- thanks for posting this stuff. Appreciated.

Comment

Just got my notification email. No placement, just two positive scores. Ah well, I'm deep in the middle of working on next year's entry!

Comment

My coming of age drama made it in. Wow, they came back early this year. It wasn't even nail-biting time yet. Glad to miss that part.

Comment

My road trip drama made top 20% and my horror comedy made quarter-finals. Pretty surprised that it turned out that way, but stoked either way.

Congrats to all who made it through or got a high score or really all who completed a script and had the courage to enter it.
              Last edited by Hernan Giaggio; 07-17-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
                My road trip drama made top 20% and my horror comedy made semi-finals. Pretty surprised that it turned out that way, but stoked either way.

Congrats to all who made it through or got a high score or really all who completed a script and had the courage to enter it.
                Congratulations!

But only the quarterfinals thus far. Semifinals is the next stage, and we're not there yet.

Comment

I'm in! With an intensely personal, visionary script. Proof positive that Nicholl judges are open-minded.

Greg, if I didn't order comments before, is it possible to order them now?

Late Night Writer

Comment

Greg, I entered two scripts and got one email.

Can you confirm that the lack of the other email means the other entry made it? I thought this was the case but there were some changes this year and these other placers are talking with a lot of certitude.

Also LateNightWriter, I do know yes, you can still buy comments. For a long time. They want to give lots and lots of time for you to potentially give them money.

Comment

If anyone got dinged and needs some encouragement on the subjective nature of the process...

Last year, I had a script make it to the Top 50. It was tantalizingly close to being a Finalist. I figured there was nothing to lose (other than $40) to throw it in again this year. Maybe it would get the lucky breaks that could push it into the Finals, or perhaps even a Fellowship.

And today the script got... nothing.

No quarterfinals.

No "Two positive reads."

No "Gold star for effort!"

Nothing.

To have made it into the Top 50, that script had to receive many, many positive reads. To get nowhere, that script needed to receive two "meh" reads. That's indicative of the industry - It takes many, many people to like a script before it moves anywhere. It takes one or two people to be lukewarm to kill it.

Oh well. Onward!

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                        Congratulations!

But only the quarterfinals thus far. Semifinals is the next stage, and we're not there yet.
                        D'oh! Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Edited, thanks.

Comment

I got the one positive score thing for my thriller. I'm going to spring for the comments to see the difference between the two readers.

Congrats to those who made it!
                          "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

Close, but no cigar for me. Both of my entries fell "two to six" points short of the QF mark. Congrats to all who advanced!

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                              I'm in! With an intensely personal, visionary script. Proof positive that Nicholl judges are open-minded.

Greg, if I didn't order comments before, is it possible to order them now?

Late Night Writer
                              Congratulations!

Yes, entrants can purchase this year's comments through the end of the year. Simply log into your account and click on tab 7.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdennissir View Post
                                Greg, I entered two scripts and got one email.

Can you confirm that the lack of the other email means the other entry made it? I thought this was the case but there were some changes this year and these other placers are talking with a lot of certitude.
                                Sorry about the missing email. According to our IT colleague overseeing the email blast, he didn't get all the second and third entries out in the first wave of emails. He plans to get all the missing notifications out by the end of the evening.

Let us know via email to nicholl at oscars.org if you still haven't received it by tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X