Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2015...

Rachel's notes were extremely unprofessional. I don't think any kind of coverage should have sarcasm and "jokes."

I think that should be the bigger controversy and not that the comments were somehow sexist, which I'm not sure they could be since the readers don't know who the writers are. Unless people mean sexist to the fictional characters in the screenplay. Maybe if the screenplay was a period drama and not a raunchy sex comedy you could read more into it.

I think Greg should answer to the quality of the coverage itself given you have to spend $40 to see it.

Comment

It isn't 'coverage'. They're internal notes passed along with each script to the next round. And I'll bet you fifty dollars to a doughnut if she'd advanced to the semi's, she'd never had brought it up. I know I sure as hell wouldn't no matter what was said about mine.
      We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Apparently no good deed goes unpunished. The Nicholl Committee accomplishes this amazing task of processing 17,000 comments (!), and one crappy incident occurs. One. Is this a pattern of Nicholl judging? I don't see a stampede of other writers posting offensive comments like the one the writer received. So no. Could it have been dealt with better initially by the Nicholl? Probably. I'm not on Facebook so I don't weigh in there. My guess is that the Nicholl staff is currently running on fumes so they made one slip. Boo hoo.

Like AE35-Unit said, this is possibly the best publicity that writer could have received. No doubt she's getting lots of calls for that script right now.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
          It isn't 'coverage'. They're internal notes passed along with each script to the next round. And I'll bet you fifty dollars to a doughnut if she'd advanced to the semi's, she'd never had brought it up. I know I sure as hell wouldn't no matter what was said about mine.
          Whatever it is, if you pay $40 for it, it should be professional and useful. Otherwise, don't charge $40 for it.

And I've seen some other "notes" and they are marginal at best.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
            Apparently no good deed goes unpunished. The Nicholl Committee accomplishes this amazing task of processing 17,000 comments (!), and one crappy incident occurs. One. Is this a pattern of Nicholl judging? I don't see a stampede of other writers posting offensive comments like the one the writer received. So no. Could it have been dealt with better initially by the Nicholl? Probably. I'm not on Facebook so I don't weigh in there. My guess is that the Nicholl staff is currently running on fumes so they made one slip. Boo hoo.

Like AE35-Unit said, this is possibly the best publicity that writer could have received. No doubt she's getting lots of calls for that script right now.

Late Night Writer
            +1 -- and while there was a possible explanation made for the comment, the Academy response that I saw didn't defend it.

Comment

I once received studio coverage and it had a line in it about "lezzying it up" for two of the female characters. Granted i wasn't supposed to see the coverage (long story) but i was more surprised when i saw it was written by a woman. So...you just never know.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                Whatever it is, if you pay $40 for it, it should be professional and useful. Otherwise, don't charge $40 for it.

And I've seen some other "notes" and they are marginal at best.
                Are you talking about Nicholl or Blacklist?

Comment

Are you talking Nicholl or Blacklist?
                  Why would I be talking about the Blacklist?

Comment

My notes weren't professional - that's to say they weren't written in a formal structured way, had fairly loose grammar/spelling and made comments about a real-life person's private life (as mentioned before, my script features a real person). But that's fine because I'm a grown-up and get how these things work.

What was clear - scrappy or no - was that the readers had read every word of the script, which is about as much as you can ask for.
                    My stuff

Comment

Well Slupo, considering I paid 40 whole dollars to read six stellar comments from Nicholl readers, and paid 125$ to get shot down on the same script by two Blacklist readers who didn't know which end was up, I wasn't sure what you meant about 'quality' of readers.
                      Last edited by AE35-Unit; 08-25-2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Well Slupo, considering I paid 40 whole dollars to read six stellar comments from Nicholl readers, and paid 125$ to get shot down on the same script by two Blacklist readers, I wasn't sure what you meant about 'quality' of readers.
                        I have no idea how you're turning this into a thing about the blacklist.

Comment

Obviously.

Comment

Losing the Nicholl comments is my biggest concern. I am not working with much money and couldn't afford professional notes. Nor am I in any writing group. I handed my script around to friends and then questioned them carefully about everything. The Nicholl notes come from professional readers who are also writers. Feedback won't get any better than this or any cheaper.

I suspect a lot of the rants came out of a need to vent by writers who weren't happy with the feedback. This just gave them an opening.

I really hope a handful of writers won't destroy this valuable resource Nicholl has given us to improve our writing.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post

Late Night Writer
                              I doubt it because while the script might get attention, the writer has also brought attention to her willingness to handle a difficult situation badly and stir up as much trouble as she can. Who needs that?

Comment

You're 100% correct P-Jay. Every single comment I got was thoughtful and critically aware of things I'd never considered like "better throughline". Based on my reader comments, I could tell they all had been doing it for quite some time. I've been cut open and laid bare before too, but if you're gonna play in Hollywood you better have a thick skin and learn from both the positives and the negatives from professional readers. If you're smart you will consider them allies instead of enemies no matter their delivery. I know Nicholl was concerned about getting bombarded with negatives on letting people see their comments, and dealing with that sort of thing takes away from their time executing the competition.

Personally, I wouldn't blame Nicholl one bit if they choose not to do it next year because I wouldn't want the hassle either. But it would be a shame if they decide not to... especially for talented writers you.

And good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X